Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: OK - Who Shoots 22 Hornet? - Xmas Giveaway

Boolit Buddy

I could shoot these in my Remington 597, or my Savage, left hand, model 12,converted to 22 hornet.

Boolit Buddy

Yes, please, count me in. I have a not-exactly-Hornet, technically a 5.6x35 Vierling, in a single shot bolt action Gustloff rifle that I believe is from pre-WWII Germany. There are minor dimensional differences between 5.6x35 Vierling and .22 Hornet, but only a couple of thousandths here and there, so the rifle and I are both happy with .22 Hornet reloading dies and .22 Hornet brass.

My most interesting experience with this rifle (so far) has been shooting in a local Buffalo Rifle match, .22 Euro-Hornet versus the .45-70's. I shot mid range cast bullet loads, and at 100 yards -- to everyone's surprise -- the rifle and I were reasonably competitive. Sadly, I have to admit that at 300 yards the .45-70's seem to have an advantage.

Very nice of you to do this as a xmas present. However, I have enough to last me two lifetimes so I will respectfully pass. Good luck to all those who can use it.

Boolit Master

I'll throw my name in the running. I've got a well used Anschutz 1700.it's been sitting idile for awhile but looking foward to a 37 and 45 gr 2pb/2gc molds from NOE for it. If I get it up here, I would predominately use it for paper punching in the summer and for coyote/wolves in the winter. Tank you for your kind offer.

Boolit Bub
    Very cool of you. We too celebrate our German heritage on Christmas eve. Most of my first generation family came here, as farmers, from Prussia, most ended up in Ashley, then moved about 6 hours north of you to become grape farmers and cattle ranchers.

My grandson's left hand 22 hornet A bolt could use more brass for me to reload for his " this Christmas gift". He has shot it, but doesn't know it is his , yet.

Thank you for the opportunity for a great present for some lucky fellow
    Allen

Boolit Master
    Merry Christmas to all. My Hornet is a Winchester model 43 Deluxe.

My thanks to the OP for making this kind offer.

Boolit Man
    I would like these for my stepdad. He will use them to shoot coyotes using a TC Contender, Savage 24, or HR Handi rifle. Thanks for putting my name in the hat!
    Glenn

Boolit Master

Bumping this so everyone gets a chance...

Banned
    How about one of only three known to exist and the only one in Hornet ?
    A R.F. Sedgley 1903 Springfield SHORT ACTION 22 Hornet. This is not a converted 22 RF Springfield but a 1906 30-06 action shortened and much modified to flawlessly to work with the tiny Hornet. Sedgley generally used Winchester bbls, so this one drives tacks with Lil Gun and 40 gr tipped Hornady bullets. The scope is a Lyman Alaskan with a 10X Litscherts converter in G&H mount.

Last edited by TAC14; 12-21-2017 at 09:18 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Absolutely no Baja humbug on your part hope your family has a wonderful Christmas . I have an extremely heavy 8 shot Taurus 10" Raging Hornet . Absolute blast to shoot (pun intended) extremely loud fun and accurate pistol if I can hold all that weight steady . My 14 yr old son and I shoot steel targets I've welded at different ranges out to 200 yards . I also occasionally take it with me for vermin/predator type critters when out on friends ranch driving tractor for him or while hunting . Very good of you and I wish everyone the best of luck and the best of the season and x-mas with your loved ones .

Boolit Buddy
    I'll take a chance. Would be shooting from a pre 64 m70 at paper. Some cast some j words. Have a great Christmas, enjoy the family.

Boolit Master
    Very nice offer .Mine is a CZ527 nice little rifle shoot mosly targets but want to do some varmint hunting as well Merry Christmas to you.

Boolit Master

I keep a H&R Topper in 22 Hornet in my shop for shooting such things as starlings, house sparrows, stray sage rats and the like out the window using Lymans 225438 sans gc using a small dipper of Dupont (now IMR) PB. However, I'm more likely to reload the new brass for a grandson to shoot in the Stevens 322 we used to have. May the Great Spirit smile on you for doing this.
    Take a kid along

OOOOO!!!! I have a 22 Hornet from my grandfather. Savage 342 circa 1952. It has six notches on the underside of it of the deer he's taken with the rifle to feed the family when they were barely getting by. My mother took her first deer with this rifle when she was 11 years old and now I've inherited the rifle since my grandfather passed away.

It was your typical Savage 342 with ugly Walnut brush brown, elephant leg sized stock and faded bluing. The gun weighed ~9 pounds. I took the stock off and used a wood planer to thin it and drilled out much of the wood to hollow it out. I shaped the wood to resemble a more elegant rifle and then sanded it down in stages from 80 grit down to 0000 steel wool. What I was greeted with was beautiful wood and a graceful shape.... still retaining the six marks my grandfather made on the underside to indicate his deer. I refinished it with tru-oil and 0000 steel wool in multiple coats.

Now the 3/4 Weaver tube that sat atop had broken and was fogged up. So when some more money comes in I'm sending it off to Iron Sight to be restored. An acquaintance had some brass laying around so I'm replacing the broken, plastic buttstock with brass I'll have laser engraved "In Memory Of"

I refinished the bluing by hand with 1000 grit sandpaper and 0000 steel wool and cold blue. The crown will have an 11 degree target crown done soon.

This rifle shot under a dime at 100 yards before the 4x 3/4" scope broke. It's my absolute favorite gun to shoot. Don't feel very comfortable hunting deer with it like it used to be done, but I've headshot squirrel with it at 75 yards and mostly use it for punching paper for giggles. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for coyote, however I keep it mostly for a personal rifle and memories than for hunting.

The rifle now comes in ~<7 pounds if memory serves me right.

I usually load a 45gr sierra hornet bullet in it. I'm not sure the exact powder charge because I've gotten so good at eyeballing the powder charge of lil'gun in a trimmed case, over a CCI small pistol primer I don't even measure anymore for it. I'll be working up a cast load for it soon enough. I've tried but my success has been varied.
    Last edited by davidheart; 12-22-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

Boolit Master
    Thank you very much for such a generous offering. I'll get in on this too. I'm fussing with a Ruger 77/22 Hornet. Having a terrible time getting it to shoot consistently so I'm doing a bunch of ladder loading. Somewhere I seem to have misplaced some of the brass I know I have. CRS has struck hard! If I can get it sorted out I'm hoping to use it on the local crow population.
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey very nice of you! Count me in, I will be using them in a 12in contender barrel that I just bought on this site. Mostly at targets and squirrels
    I'll keep my guns and my money, you can keep the change!

Μολὼν λάβε

I picked up a Stevens 22 Hornet bolt action here from a member. If i could find some Snowshoe Hares during the season that's what i would shoot with it. The rabbits sit in the back yard all summer laughing and disappear in the fall but i keep looking. Thanks for the Christmas offer and I hope you have a great eve celebration.
    Michael
    Why Johnny Ringo you look like someone just walked over your grave.

Boolit Man

Merry Christmas to you and yours Baja. I have a CZ527. I shoot paper and steel mostly, but occasionally a critter. 35 grain V-max and lilgun work well. Hoping to work up a cast boolits load soon.
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Bub
    Merry Christmas Baja, This is a very nice thread for Christmas. I have a nice Sako 22 hornet that I have used on varmints. I intend to use this rifle to introduce my children to center fire shooting, it is a fun rifle. My other hornet is a TC Contender, which was originally my uncle Johns. He was like a second father to me, as we both liked hunting and shooting. This was his first center fire pistol, and one that he learned to reload for, on my reloading equipment. I received this Contender from his girls after he and my brother were killed on Christmas day of 1988, while crossing a railroad track, on their way to go ice fishing. It was a big loss for all of my family. His girls were kind enough to gift me the Contender which I have used for varmints and handgun silhouette shooting. I will cherish this Contender always as it has fond memories attached to it. I still have some of his reloads that I keep to fire off a round once in a while in remembrance of him. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by screamingjohnny View Post
    I still have some of his reloads that I keep to fire off a round once in a while in remembrance of him. Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    What a touching story, especially today on Christmas Eve. Thanks for sharing it with everyone.

To all those here and everyone close to them, have a Merry Christmas.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast