Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: OK - Who Shoots 22 Hornet? - Xmas Giveaway

Boolit Master

OK - Who Shoots 22 Hornet? - Xmas Giveaway

Christmas Update - So the scientist in me totally randomized this. First I picked one of my brothers friends to give me a number between 1 and 8 (the number of people at the table besides me) - she gave me the number 7. I then counted the seventh person from my left - and I asked her to give me a number between 2 and 101, she gave me the number 88.
    Now here is the problem - if you go to the 88th post, it's me bumping this thread off of page 5 so more people get a chance.
    So what I'm going to do to be fair is give one box to post 87 and the other box to post 89.

I really want to thank everyone who posted here and wish you all a very merry christmas. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading everyones post - so much that I will be making this an annual tradition.

Started cleaning up the loading bench and came across two boxes of New in the box, never fired Winchester 22 Hornet brass. This is classic stuff, as evidenced by the price stickers on the boxes - heck, Accuracy Gun Shop here in San Diego closed up business over 20 years ago..

Not interested in selling it, so here is how it's going to work - If you want it, put a post here telling me what you are going to shoot it out of, and what you intend to shoot at (Just to keep things interesting for me, because the story has no bearing on the outcome). On Christmas eve when my family gets together for dinner (we celebrate the German way on Christmas Eve) - I'll point to some random person at the table and tell them to give me a number from 2 to whatever post is last here. On Christmas morning I'll post the winner and give them a PM for their address - I pay for shipping as a Christmas present.

Since I will not be bringing a laptop to the dinner table, I will have to put a cutoff for posts as 4pm Pacific Time on December 24th. That will be the last time I look at this thread.

Who's In?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	166700736.Kjv5QslV.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	209298
    Last edited by Baja_Traveler; 12-25-2017 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Christmas Update

Hey Baja very nice of you. I have a Springfield M6 22 hornet over 410, it's kind of a safe queen so all it will be shot at is cans and steel targets maybe at small game in which near future! Noticed the mountain tab! Stay safe brother.
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

Boolit Master
    Count me in! I would load these with the Noe 225-37-FN GC. They'd be used in a Ruger 77/22 VBZ Hornet. I shoot jackrabbits and western cottontails.

Boolit Master

I have a CZ 527 American I picked up used in a local shop. I have been working up loads for it with Lil gun but I am getting pressure signs so I backed off the load. I keep it handy for foxes and any other varmints that has been killing my chickens. So far I have two foxes. One had my neighbor's Rhode Island Red hen on my lawn. I thought it was one of my own Hens and sent that fox to the mousing field of the great beyond.

The hornet has a bit more sting than the .22!

Merry Christmas Baja!

If someone needs them more and you draw my number by all means use your cheerful good judgement. I have some Remington and Prvi cases for now.
    Last edited by Lance Boyle; 12-12-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Still in South Texas---about 100 miles north of Laredo.
    Very kind of you, Baja. I shoot a Handi-rifle that is reamed to a K-Hornet, has a one in nine twist barrel on it---
    shoots the 225462 very accurately. The little rifle has replaced any .22 shooting for me, and as a bonus it is
    cheaper to reload then buy good .22 ammo. Use my little rifle for small game hunting, i.e., rabbits and squirrels.
    Thanks for the offer, and Merry Christmas.

Hi Baja --- good-o on you -- I would like to participate in this fun project --
    I will load them for the ruger #3 carbine and introduce the youngest grandson to the joy of can and soda bottle hunting -- Full bottles are to be treated
    as dangerous game -- The great grandson is way too new to start -

san diego is much nicer weather than here in ga -- spent WWII in SD -- Navy housing across Barnet from MCRD, then point loma area and finally university area.
    Really liked it there then -- now too many people as are most calif cities --

I have three hornets, a newer CZ 527 American, an old (30's) Savage 23D, and an older Savage 340.

I shoot at paper and the occasional tin can.

If I win/get picked I would like to donate the brass to Pavogrande (Post number 6) because I have all the hornet brass I would ever need.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master

I also have a Handi-rifle that the kids and I play sniper with, shooting cans at 200 yards. That is the furthest we can shoot around here at a range. And it is cheap to shoot with my cast boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll play. I would shoot them in a Savage 24 that used to be .22 Hornet over 20 gauge. I reamed the Hornet out to .22 K Hornet. I shoot at grey squirrels, cottontail rabbits, raccoons, ground hogs, fox, coyote, and some day a bob cat (I hope).
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from poor judgment.

Boolit Man
    I just acquired a K-Hornet barrel for my Contender and that is the animal that will eat the new loads. Probably shoot varmints and lots of targets. I do like the long range stuff.

Boolit Man
    What a great idea! I built a 22 Hornet barrel for my T/C Contender from a barrel blank with a 14 twist a good friend gave me. I was only getting a couple of loadings out of each case due to splitting. I rechambered to 22 K Hornet and now get 7-8 loadings. I use it for small game, varmints,targets (just won a turkey at a local gun club), and turkey. My favorite light rifle. Have a Merry Christmas all.

Boolit Grand Master

CZ 527 and two contenders that are used for prairie dogs, beaver and targets. Head shots on spring beaver anchor them better than anything I have found.

Boolit Grand Master

Very Kind of you! I'm in! I shoot the Hornet in a 10 inch heavy barrel Contender. I usually carry it to my deer stand and use it for Bob Cats of other small critters. Merry Christmas!

Boolit Master
    Such a nice offer.

My father and I each shoot contenders in 22 hornet, mostly paper, some steel. Planning a prairie dog trip for next year, our first trip together in decades, and am thinking we’ll use these out to 150.

Have a Merry Christmas!
    Jim

Boolit Bub
    Very nice of you. I will be loading and shooting the brass out of a savage 23d with lil gun and Barnes grenades. I will shoot and have shot ground squirrels, coyotes and bobcats with this load and gun. Merry Christmas to you and many more to come.

I have a Ruger #3 in 22 Hornet �� I bought in 1980!
    At that time I backordered reloading dies so I could 'feed' it.
    I used to educate ground squirrels.
    Now my twin grandsons and I use it to shoot golf balls!
    Can our government survive the next 4 years?

Merry Christmas Baja. I've got a Savage 340 that a good friend of mine built from parts and then had re-chambered to a K-Hornet. Bought it a number of years ago from him. So far it's shot several garden raiding bunnies and strippies and accounted for a pile of sod poodles. It's a lot of fun and not too hard on the billfold. Don't expect new brass to be used to much different.
    Rob

Boolit Master

I, too, have a K-Hornet that was made in the 50's by an oldtime smith. He used an 1885 Winchester barreled action, relined the barrel and rechambered it for the K.
    I am a PA woodchuck hunter and use the rifle for shorter range hunting and for teaching the kids and ladies that noise doesn't equal recoil!
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master
    It's great how your nice offer brought all these hornet shooters out of the woodwork. I have a hornet on the Sharps-Borchardt action which likes the Lyman 225462 and a K-hornet on Low Wall Winchester which doesn't like my cast very well but is OK with Speer 45 grainers. I shoot sage rats (Belding ground squirrels) with mine. The Borchardt hornet has been designated a "grandkid favorite" rifle and would cause a food fight when I bite the dust so I designated a worthy grandkid in my will.

Like maxreloader I have all the hornet brass I'll ever need so would donate my winnings to wch. His K must be similar to my K.

Boolit Master
    My 22 Hornet is a TC Contender Carbine.....it is shot mostly at targets, at least one coyote and is looking for a particularly fat and meddlesome groundhog that is pestering my brother's yard. He is a sneaky critter who has a sixth sense about people with weapons that leads him to make a mad dash to one of his holes.

I'm sure my brother would have got him by now except for the fact that he starts grumbling the moment he sees the critter. I would love to put a sneak on him...(the groundhog not my brother).

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast