Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Repackbox

Thread: For 1616s16: Youth Muzzleloader in ACTION!

For 1616s16: Youth Muzzleloader in ACTION!

A little over a week ago, I had posted in the S&S section looking for a cheap, beater muzzleloader that I could chop down for my kids to learn and start hunting with. 1616s16 made an extremely kind and generous offer for a Knight inline that was in fine shape... almost too nice to be cutting on. We met up last week after a slight SNAFU on time changes and made the exchange with my oldest boy. His two little brothers came along, but they are too small to be interested.

Friday night, I managed to cut 2" off the butt and refit the pad. I also cut the barrel down from 21" to 18", and trimmed the ramrod to fit as well. It seemed very balanced and more manageable for the two oldest. I found an adjustable rear sight and mounted it up, and then the novice job of cutting a dovetail for a new blade front sight. When it was all said and done, I thought it turned out pretty good without doing any new finishes on it. More importantly, it seems to be a lot better suited for my 10-year old daughter and my 8-year old son.

We practiced sight picture, breathing, and trigger control in the basement Saturday morning. My son was far more excited than my daughter, but once we started live firing, my daughter really came alive! I still have a lot of work with both of them, but I think she would be fine hunting yet this year.

The target was a 3" mark on a cardboard box and we were shooting roughly 40 yards. My daughter was able to hit within a centered 6" group around that mark, which is definitely in the kill zone.

Here are a few pictures, and another THANK YOU to 1616!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonym View Post
    A little over a week ago, I had posted in the S&S section looking for a cheap, beater muzzleloader that I could chop down for my kids to learn and start hunting with. 1616s16 made an extremely kind and generous offer for a Knight inline that was in fine shape... almost too nice to be cutting on. We met up last week after a slight SNAFU on time changes and made the exchange with my oldest boy. His two little brothers came along, but they are too small to be interested.

Friday night, I managed to cut 2" off the butt and refit the pad. I also cut the barrel down from 21" to 18", and trimmed the ramrod to fit as well. It seemed very balanced and more manageable for the two oldest. I found an adjustable rear sight and mounted it up, and then the novice job of cutting a dovetail for a new blade front sight. When it was all said and done, I thought it turned out pretty good without doing any new finishes on it. More importantly, it seems to be a lot better suited for my 10-year old daughter and my 8-year old son.

We practiced sight picture, breathing, and trigger control in the basement Saturday morning. My son was far more excited than my daughter, but once we started live firing, my daughter really came alive! I still have a lot of work with both of them, but I think she would be fine hunting yet this year.

The target was a 3" mark on a cardboard box and we were shooting roughly 40 yards. My daughter was able to hit within a centered 6" group around that mark, which is definitely in the kill zone.

Here are a few pictures, and another THANK YOU to 1616!

Justin
    That is a super job. All I can say is you are a super father and the kids look ready to hunt.
    Stay safe and good hunting.
    Butch
    16s

Boolit Master

This whole story warmed my heart! What a cool family project and what a good cast boolits friend .those children will
    Always always remember the time dad and them did a project and then shot the thing and it worked! I'm proud of ya and them young un's ;we've never met but I'd be proud to call you a friend.

Thanks everyone. Length was just too much for these smaller shooters. At 18”, it still keeps good velocities and is still very accurate. Crown is a tad sharp but doesn’t cut patches or anything. I used fine sandpaper and a large button head bolt to chamfer the lands good and smooth.

Boolit Master

Neat project! That gun looks super handy now with the short tube. My buddy at work gave me an inline that has some rust in the bore and I am thinking of hacking it like you did that one.

Dad and kid projects, healthy kids and shooting! What's not to like?
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.