Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you give 10% to your church?

I do tithe, but I split it between two churches with very similar doctrines, and between which I've never been able to choose. It's strictly on the honor system and between you and the Creator.

That having been said, the Good Book say one is to tithe "on their increase". So, the way one minister explained it to me, if you take a bus to work daily you can deduct the fare, if you're required to buy tools out of your pocket to perform the job you can deduct the cost of the tools, etc. Anything you have to spend to make your income is not part of your increase. After all of these things are deducted you should tithe 10% on what remains.

Tithing is an Old Testament concept. The Pharisees obeyed it strictly even down to tithing the herbs in their gardens. We all know that these folks received heavy criticism from Jesus, so tithing can't be as important we most folks think.

I have been the Sr. Pastor of some very large churches and had the responsibility of meeting a $1,000,000.00 yearly Budget, so I understand some of the pressures on a Pastor when it comes to raising enough money to keep the church afloat.

Concerning money, in all my 37 years as a Pastor;

1. I never stressed tithing.
    2. I encouraged people to prayerfully made a decision about their yearly commitment to the ministry of the church.
    3. I told the people their giving was between them and God and whatever the decision was, it was OK with me.
    4. I realized that some folks can't give much money, but they can support the church in other ways such as hours or service, prayers etc. etc.
    5. I never knew how much people pledged or gave. I never wanted dollars to have any influence on how I considered and dealt with people. The ground at the foot of the cross is level and the rich do not stand on a high spot.

Yes, I do know that most pastors don't think they way I do. They give in to the financial pressures and place way to much importance on how much people give. I always figured if we as individuals and collectively as the church, were faithful to God, then He in return would be faithful to us and make certain we have the resources we needed to worship him and minister in the name of Jesus. In 37 years, He never let us down. No church ever has financial problems, they can however have spiritual problems which result in financial issues.

I would seriously question the spiritual condition of any church or pastor that would use threats of hell, or any kind of guilt trip to raise funds. This would not be a God thing, but a human thing.

I have lost many nights sleep over whether or not, my church could pay it's bills for the month. The stress of it, once put me in the hospital. However that was always a weakness of my faith, for God never let us down and no bills every went unpaid. I never threatened or manipulated anyone into giving anything. We are to be witnesses of God's grace on earth and not His hatchet men. "To God be the glory, great things he has done!".

Bottom line is institutional survival has become the principal purpose of many churches and God will not bless that. Sooner or later they will fall like a house of cards. So give of your time, talents and resources when, where and how God directs and sleep well, because you are at peace with God and yourself.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 12-11-2017 at 11:28 AM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

When I came back to the church in my 30's, I started to give what I thought was an adequate amount to my church of membership. When I met the woman who became my wife, she taught me to give ten percent of our gross income; I'm not bragging. Back about 2006 I was earning a good salary as a consultant in an engineering company. After I lost my job, I got a Master of Divinity degree which allowed me entry into the field of social services, and cut my salary in half. We continued to tithe, as described. Today we are perfectly comfortable, and two years ago bought our first home together. I have lost exactly nothing. The ten percent rule is just a guideline that we both agree on.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    Don't get caught in legalism its not right. Find a church that teaches the truth and give what the Lord leads you to give through prayer.If they teach you are going to hell because you don't give 10 percent git out of that church now!

Boolit Grand Master
    As touched on, back in the days, there was no government programs to assist those in need. The "church" took on these duties or the goodness of family and friends.

I currently give what I believe to be right in my circumstances...it is not 10% and likely will never be.

Also, I agree that providing services should not be discounted as "worthless" in terms of giving. If those who are able and willing to help did not provide their talents and energy to their church, someone would need to be paid to perform those duties.

I would swiftly leave any church that expected a certain amount of giving. The church is not God and never will be.

BTW, a few weeks ago one of the churches I attend (I live in two cities) asked for an outpouring of generosity to fund "needed" capital expansions. The church is never more than 50% full. I questioned this with my fiancé and was put down for my thoughts. I let it go. But my wallet and check book remain closed. Now, that church does many good works for the community and we do support them over and above the weekly giving.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    As touched on, back in the days, there was no government programs to assist those in need. The "church" took on these duties or the goodness of family and friends.

I currently give what I believe to be right in my circumstances...it is not 10% and likely will never be.

Also, I agree that providing services should not be discounted as "worthless" in terms of giving. If those who are able and willing to help did not provide their talents and energy to their church, someone would need to be paid to perform those duties.

I would swiftly leave any church that expected a certain amount of giving. The church is not God and never will be.

BTW, a few weeks ago one of the churches I attend (I live in two cities) asked for an outpouring of generosity to fund "needed" capital expansions. The church is never more than 50% full. I questioned this with my fiancé and was put down for my thoughts. I let it go. But my wallet and check book remain closed. Now, that church does many good works for the community and we do support them over and above the weekly giving.
    I don't know what "capital improvements" means in the case at hand, but quite often churches defer basic maintenance to buildings until it becomes a crisis. Capital improvements for expansion and capital improvement for maintenance are two very different things.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    No one told me I was going to go to hell for not giving 5% or 10% but I do feel they look down when you don't.
    Hmmm, don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing? It is not their business to know. God doesn't need your money. Yes, it is or should be used to help those in need , pay the preacher, upkeep on the building etc.. I think we give to God what we have determined in our heart is the correct amount. We do this to show that we have faith that God will meet our needs. We do sometimes need to reevaluate what we truly need.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I don't know what "capital improvements" means in the case at hand, but quite often churches defer basic maintenance to buildings until it becomes a crisis. Capital improvements for expansion and capital improvement for maintenance are two very different things.
    Char-Gar,

No these were not for maintenance items. It was for bigger facilities. BTW, the church has an operating budget of just over $1 million so it can cover all operating expenses. I am a recent member so cannot speak to the reserves it has for something major like a roof or HVAC replacement. But these were not what for something like that.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I might end up at 10% of the take home some years, but I count any worthwhile charity/love offerings/etc. in, as I rarely attend organized services anymore.Gramps was a Southern Baptist minister, so he may be disappointed in me, but there ya go !

Banned
    We used to call it the "temple tax". All we want to know is "do you or do you not pay it?"

Boolit Grand Master

You are not going to hell and if a church even hint's at that then you need to find another one. The Tithe is a suggested amount of your income but if your hard set then you give what you can and that is the point. Everyone gives what they can give to support the Church and Charity. If you can't give that much then give what you are able. Believe me, God doesn't care about the amount, he cares that you are giving what you can.

Several churches down here actually have ATM's in their lobbies. I would never frequent a church like that.

A number of years ago I made the decision to not give outside of a small amount to the Church but instead donate directly to The Salvation Army and Catholic Charities among others.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Religious institutions are charitable ( no 'product' or 'service' to tax) so are tax exempt. They do have programs and facilities to maintain and that does take money (don't know if the property is taxed but insurance is high). If it is worth your attendance, is it worth your financial support? The church I attend has voted to move & build new as the present facility has major maintenance costs. Going to be a rough road as most of the 'giving' part of the congregation is over 65. The alternative is to stay and spend most of the $$ for maintenance and salaries. Probably won't last long that way. Churches and preachers are disappearing fast due to $$. Do we want them to stay?
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    However, a pastor should not receive his/her sole income from the church unless the scope of the work (in quantity and quality) makes it impossible to be employed somewhere else.
    Interesting. Do you have a scriptual basis for that?
    David

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by whelenshooter View Post
    Interesting. Do you have a scriptual basis for that?
    David
    There is the recurring idea in the Bible that people are supposed to be gainfully employed (some contribution anyway) rather than living off of others. A pastor who works in/for his church 10-20 hours a week really isn't working at it full time and should not receive a full time salary. No one in the congregation can do this at their workplace.

Jesus and the Apostles earned livings for themselves and their families doing various forms of work (e.g., building and fishing) before the full time ministries started. Then with the traveling and teaching requirements they could no longer work full time and were supported to some extent by others.

The Apostle that had the greatest impact on New Testament theology was Paul. Even he was employed at certain periods during his ministry. He apparently had time to do so and chose to work rather than be compensated by other Christians.
    Last edited by Ickisrulz; 12-11-2017 at 05:54 PM.

Boolit Master

This issue has been a bit of an irritant for me. The church we used to attend before moving had the regular tithing sermon a couple times a year. I really respected the pastor there but they were going through a building campaign and he would occasionally push pretty hard- tithing is not just Old Testament and 10% is required, it must be 10% minimum to the local church for the basic tithe and any other offering above that or sent elsewhere was above that 10%, and it really should be on the gross paycheck , not net. I just couldn’t bring myself to agree to o that degree.

We did tithe that 10% (net) faithfully for many years, but recently cut it back a bit. Maybe that’s a shortcoming of faith on my part, but we just couldn’t make ends meet. The thing that irritates me the most is when I hear a sermon on finances and tithing where the pastor gives advice on how to be more frugal: Eat out less. Cut back on the morning lattes. Take a cheaper vacation. Wait an extra year to trade in for a new car.

1. We rarely ever eat out.
    2. The total I’ve spent on drive through coffee in my life could come out of a $20 bill, with change.
    3. What’s a vacation?
    4. What’s a new car? Our newest vehicle is a 2001 with 260k miles on the odometer.

What we do give feels like a substantial sacrifice as it is. Maybe I’m wrong with that but it’s where we’re at.

Boolit Buddy
    It seems there are a lot of what I call "Churches of the Holy Dollar" around. Our big First Baptist Church recently spent $400K on two video projectors. That's $400,000.00. They have millions tied up in their audio/video setup. Pretty sure that the church audio/video system requirements are covered in First Corinthians, or was that First Thessalonians? All joking aside, to each his own.

If the church is giving you grief over 10% then find another church.

Boolit Grand Master

No only no but hell no. I stopped giving when they got into politics more than spiritual issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I was raised a catholic and now I go to a christian church. I have a hard time with the money they expect one to give. They want 10% before taxes and I cannot give that. So, am I going to hell because I cannot give 10% of my earnings? I guess I could give if I didn't buy groceries and pay bills. I do repair their electronic gear for free but I was told that was not counted. I would have thought that giving of my time my experience and talent would be accepted as much as a money offering. If I didn't repair their electronics they would be spending some of the money they take in to pay for it from someone else.

When I was a catholic the parish asked for 5%. Now, some churches in my area would like to see Tax info to determine what your going to give. Maybe its more about the money than it is about saving souls anymore. There have been quite a few times when I have witnessed someone going into the church to talk to a priest or paster only to be asked if they have an appointment. Maybe whipping out the old check book would buy some time?
    Sorry guys...this is one reason I have left organized religion. They make us feel guilty, afraid, worthless, and many other negatives.
    Religion should be taught in a positive manner, not out of fear.
    I'll worship my God in my own way and on my own time.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by jakharath View Post
    It seems there are a lot of what I call "Churches of the Holy Dollar" around. Our big First Baptist Church recently spent $400K on two video projectors. That's $400,000.00. They have millions tied up in their audio/video setup. Pretty sure that the church audio/video system requirements are covered in First Corinthians, or was that First Thessalonians? All joking aside, to each his own.

If the church is giving you grief over 10% then find another church.
    Many contemporary "worship" services are little more than entertainment and costs big bucks to put on a really good show.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    I have never preached a tithing sermon. That said most of my folks give generously to support the church and as a church we support mission work.
    You give because you love the Lord and want to further the kingdom work not because you have to. it is honoring God for all he gives us and returning a portion to his work.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast