RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
PBcastco Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you give 10% to your church?

Banned

Do you give 10% to your church?

I was raised a catholic and now I go to a christian church. I have a hard time with the money they expect one to give. They want 10% before taxes and I cannot give that. So, am I going to hell because I cannot give 10% of my earnings? I guess I could give if I didn't buy groceries and pay bills. I do repair their electronic gear for free but I was told that was not counted. I would have thought that giving of my time my experience and talent would be accepted as much as a money offering. If I didn't repair their electronics they would be spending some of the money they take in to pay for it from someone else.

When I was a catholic the parish asked for 5%. Now, some churches in my area would like to see Tax info to determine what your going to give. Maybe its more about the money than it is about saving souls anymore. There have been quite a few times when I have witnessed someone going into the church to talk to a priest or paster only to be asked if they have an appointment. Maybe whipping out the old check book would buy some time?

Banned

If they'e telling you you're going to Hell, you need to find a new church.

I have always been told that tithing can and should include things like your time and talents. Every church I've attended believes that too.

FWIW, I do give 10% and I can, but sometimes I wonder about it because it has basically become just like paying another bill to me when I think about it sometimes. If it really were such that I had to give 10% of my time, i.e., spend 2.4 hours of every day doing the Lord's work, I'd probably have a lot harder time coming up with that to give.

Boolit Master

Do you give 10% to your church?

The idea of 10% or a tithe is all through the Old Testament. Will you go to Hell for 5%? I won’t judge, but in a small parish you might experience a little hell over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Grand Master

Always have, grew up that way. To confess, it wasn't always 'cheerful' as in "The Lord loves a cheerful giver". LOML and I both have that value, what we have is not ours, we are stewards or custodians of what God gives, and returning 10% is simply a way to acknowledge this.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Always have, grew up that way. To confess, it wasn't always 'cheerful' as in "The Lord loves a cheerful giver". LOML and I both have that value, what we have is not ours, we are stewards or custodians of what God gives, and returning 10% is simply a way to acknowledge this.
    To me its kinda like Obammer care. With Obammer care you have to pay for insurance without respect to your bills. I know people that had to make a choice of paying for insurance or putting food on the table or making a house payment. With giving your 10% its another choice of the house payment or food or bills just to pay that 10% first.

Yes, I could do the 10% and not pay other bills but I think God has to take that into consideration. Does God want you out into the cold without a home or without food? I don't think so.

I think God would understand that you give what you can afford to give. I give with my talents using what God has given me to pay back his church. I could easily charge $150-300 the going rate for one of my repairs but I choose to donate the parts and my labor the labor of love back to God.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    If they'e telling you you're going to Hell, you need to find a new church.

I have always been told that tithing can and should include things like your time and talents. Every church I've attended believes that too.

FWIW, I do give 10% and I can, but sometimes I wonder about it because it has basically become just like paying another bill to me when I think about it sometimes. If it really were such that I had to give 10% of my time, i.e., spend 2.4 hours of every day doing the Lord's work, I'd probably have a lot harder time coming up with that to give.
    No one told me I was going to go to hell for not giving 5% or 10% but I do feel they look down when you don't.

I did tithe for years, faithfully. Until I found out that 40% of all that came in went to the parent church. And the national church was using those funds to promote gun control, and were giving money to terrorists.

Pastor and I had a few conversations about it. The best he came up with, was he said I could earmark my givings to be used only on our local church, for maintenance, upkeep, etc.

And I countered with, and ever dollar I do that with means another dollar from someone else that you can send to your liberal policys? He said yes, that is true.

I said when the Methodist church gets out of gun control lobbying I'll reconsider.

Still waiting.

Boolit Master
    My answer to the first question is yes. Never had a problem giving 10% to the Lord. In fact, I firmly believe our present economic condition is due to the Lord's blessing on our faithfulness in giving. The Lord knows our hearts and has blessed us accordingly.

Boolit Master
    1) Time = $$, meaning time spent doing charitable work should be just as much value as if you paid $$.

2) Some reading for ya: https://bible.org/seriespage/lesson-...ted-scriptures

3) 2 Corinthians 8:12New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

12 For if the eagerness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has—not according to what one does not have.

---------------------------

These are "my" opinions. You obviously have to make up your own mind to satisfy your own conscience. IMO, ones giving of time and/or $$ is not to be decided on by the church I am going to be attending, but by me. IMO, "time" is more valuable than $$. Let me be a bit more specific. IF someone is on a limited/fixed income, perhaps retired/disabled & it is $1000.00 a month, then their "required" tithe would be $100.00/month according to the church referenced in the OP. If someone elses income from working full time is $4000.00 per month, then it would be $400.00/month according to the church in the OP. The persons time in the first example is worth more than what their income in $$ since they have the time to do charitable work for the church, while the person who is working has less time to work for the church, but has more $$ to give instead of time.

Now, this can change due to other factors, like how many mouths to feed, shelter & clothes, etc.(Cost of Living/COL). One who has more $$, but has more need for spending on the "cost of living" due to family members who need support, may find themselves "short" each month if they tithe $$ to the church & perhaps end up having to have help from the church to make ends meet. So, in that case tithing would be a burden & the church should be in turn, helping out the one(s) who is in need...
    While someone who has less $$ to spend, but more time to spare & themselves to account for "COL" may be able to cover their living expenses, but has time to help out at the church and/or other charitable events. So, that "time" should be acceptable just as much as any $$.

Is not giving of your time to the church satisfactory & they will only accept just $$ as the "required" tithe? If so, I would be looking for another church as well, like someone earlier suggested.

Is there no value to doing charitable work? And is the person who gives $$, rather than time, more important than the one who is willing to give their time since they have more time and less $$?

Finally, let me ask you what a fair & just God, or Jesus would do? Or accept? And do you feel comfortable with how you think God & Jesus would consider what you do, either by time or $$?

(All rhetorical questions above, just somethings to ponder on...)

Personally, I would do what I felt was right in my heart & not what others told me to do in regard to whom I am charitable to & why. When it comes down to it, those decisions I make concerning this will be between me, my Maker, & my Savior, not others here on Earth.

Give what you feel in good conscience you can afford, be it time or $$. The judgement is later, not here.

YMMV, of course... G'Luck! in your decisions.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Yea I tithe. The tithe is used for God's work, so my tithe doesn't always go to our church. If some one is needy, someone has a special circumstance, a family with an urgent lack of money, then I give some or all the tithe to help.

The tithe will not get you to heaven or put you in hell. It is an act showing respect and thankfulness for God's provision to you, by sharing and returning what He has provided.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

I grew up in a tithing home and never gave not tithing a thought. The first check we write each month is the tithe. The amount you can give is a personal matter and not up to the church you attend. The church may get the check but the tithe is the Lord's. I think that thinking of the tithe as having to give 10% to the Lord is not the correct way of thinking of tithing. If you acknowledge that everything is made by and belongs to the Lord, then the tithe is not giving back 10%, but it is the Lord allowing you to keep 90%.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Tithing is a command under the Old Covenant with Israel. The giving of 10% is not commanded for members of the Church. What is required of the Church is taking care of those that have genuine needs that they cannot meet themselves. Support of those that "labor in the Word" is also encouraged.

I have heard of churches that make a big deal of how much people give, but have never attended one. I doubt I would last long in one.

It would help if people understood what one tithes of, one is not expected by God to tithe of their gross, but of their increase. That means what is left over after all your legitimate expenses, further more, being guilt tripped into tithing on ssi/ssd is extremely questionable. (Satan loves to use guilt)

Documentation;

Deu 14:22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.

Deu 14:28 At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:

2Ch 31:5 And as soon as the commandment came abroad, the children of Israel brought in abundance the firstfruits of corn, wine, and oil, and honey, and of all the increase of the field; and the tithe of all things brought they in abundantly.

The principle is constant, God doesn't change, if you have no increase to tithe, don't tithe. Churches that rob you blind with tithes of your gross and threaten you with dire punishments are not righteous.

More importantly, tithing is a personal matter between yourself and your maker, and some sweaty handed, one verse charlie has zero business telling you how, when, or how much you must tithe.

Just winning friends and influencing people. . . .

Boolit Master
    I'm in complete agreement with Ickisrulz! Tithe, tithing, and tithes are an Old Testament command and concept. Under the old law the "church" was also the government and as such, theirs was a tax!
    In the New Testament were told God loves a cheerful giver, to give of our means as were blessed, and if our hearts not right or gifts count as nothing. Let's see what Jesus had to say about others knowing what we give.
    Mat 6:1-4
    Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
    Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
    But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
    That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

This is the very reason I give what I want, when I want, to whom I want, as God guides me. I give cash to my local church as well!

Pray for God to guide you, and he will. IMO tithing is misused in the Christian church to guilt the flock into into giving, not out of love and understanding.

Boolit Master

My church teaches tithing. Enforcement is not considered, the act is left up to the individual believer.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Where I go the organization is "self supporting through our own contributions"...my "donation" goes into the basked anonymously and nobody keeps a record of what I do or don't do...I got a real problem with someone setting an amount or percentage...and then being critical if I can't live up to that. Reminds me of a recent "Christmas season" plea for donations that came in the mail..you know the "unknown" charity that never shows up until it's the season to be jolly?
    Stamped in red on the outside of the envelope was "SECOND NOTICE"...anyone think they will ever see anything from me?

I give as I believe God directs. My church doesn’t have a number to shoot for, the idea being what a person gives is between him/her and God, which it is when all is said and done. That includes time and material donations. My experience has been that no pressure from the church makes it much easier and fulfilling to give whatever He puts on my heart to give.

Boolit Grand Master
    its all a scam
    you must give but they are tax exempt
    how does that figure
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

It sounds like your "Christian" church isn't very Christian. All of the 10% quotes are from the Old Testament where legalism was the rule. I'm not saying that giving 10% is wrong in fact it is a wonderful thing, however it is not a requirement for getting to heaven.

Ken

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    its all a scam
    you must give but they are tax exempt
    how does that figure
    The idea that Not for Profit organizations do not pay taxes is not a scam. It makes a lot of sense. Many such organizations do quite a bit of charity work that would otherwise be left to taxpayers to fund.

There are, of course, organizations where the leaders get rich and some churches fall in this category.

Just some general thoughts: I think a pastor's salary should be the average of his/her congregation's salary (if possible). However, a pastor should not receive his/her sole income from the church unless the scope of the work (in quantity and quality) makes it impossible to be employed somewhere else.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast