Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Do you give 10% to your church?

Boolit Master
    It isn't about buying heaven or giving to a specific church. It is about faith. God gives you 100% of what you get. All he ask is that you give back 10% and trust him with the results. I can tell you, my money was always tight, seemed my debt kept growing. I began to faithfully tithe, and now I always have enough money. You have to quit doing the math because it doesn't work when God is involved. As I once heard Joyce Meyer say, if you don't give God the 10% he ask for, Satan will take it. So when you don't give back, your car breaks down, or your refrigerator breaks or a water line breaks. Seems that since I started tithing, less things break, maybe it is my imagination but that is the way I see it. Not to mention, seems I have folks randomly give me money when I least expect it.

Regardless of what the Church does with what you give, God ask you to give, if they use the money inappropriately, God will deal with them. We have to answer for our actions not those of others.

Rosewood
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Boolit Master
    10% of the gross. Why is it 10% of the gross and not 10% of the net?
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    10% of the gross. Why is it 10% of the gross and not 10% of the net?
    pure and simple, its greed. God does not need your money, he is with you everywhere, it is the church that wants your money, and the more they get the better for them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    pure and simple, its greed. God does not need your money, he is with you everywhere, it is the church that wants your money, and the more they get the better for them.
    Every endeavor that God takes for mankind involves the participation of human beings. While God can do anything on his own, he chooses to always involve people. The birth of Jesus and the spread of the Gospel are just two examples of cooperation between God and man for the salvation of the world.

The local church must have money to stay open. The missionary in far off lands must have money to live. Therefore, Christians must support the work of the Church with their contributions. This is the way God has ordained it.

I will once again point out that tithing is an Old Testament command that was not given to the Church. Christians are supposed to give when there are legitimate needs. I also have never read in the New Testament where Christians are supposed to give to God's work so they can be blessed materially. This is a nasty First-World teaching.

Boolit Master
    I will once again point out that tithing is an Old Testament command that was not given to the Church. Christians are supposed to give when there are legitimate needs. I also have never read in the New Testament where Christians are supposed to give to God's work so they can be blessed materially. This is a nasty First-World teaching.

Amen again!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Since this is probably directed to me I will answer.

I can only see the logical here. If I take away from my gross I don't have enough funds to pay all my bills. No amount of faith is going to bring back the money that is gone. If I really had it I wouldn't have a problem. I don't I cannot put it out without putting my family in a hardship. I won't loose the house to make that 10% and end up living under a bridge somewhere.

It would seem that your attitude mave have taken a change?

My church halfway thru the year brings in 1.5 Million. My church is blessed with a lot of people that can afford 10% or 25% or more. My church also needs to come to the realization that seemless video switchers that are two years old and function correctly don't need upgraded. My church should have sourced their audio system locally and they would have gotten their moneys worth. Sometimes having an excess of money = the inability to make good decisions. Maybe part of this wanting a full 10% is fueled by the lack of decent leadership.
    I wish to apologize for my comments. Preacher Jim isn't trying to single me out. I just took things wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    Every endeavor that God takes for mankind involves the participation of human beings. While God can do anything on his own, he chooses to always involve people. The birth of Jesus and the spread of the Gospel are just two examples of cooperation between God and man for the salvation of the world.

The local church must have money to stay open. The missionary in far off lands must have money to live. Therefore, Christians must support the work of the Church with their contributions. This is the way God has ordained it.

I agree completely with your major premise that it takes the financial support of Christians to make Christian ministry happen.

Now here are my questions about "the Church".

1. Is there such a thing as a church that is faithless to it calling to ministry?
    2. Is there a church that is irresponsible with the money it's members give?
    3. Are we required to support religious organizations that are involved in 1 and 2 above?

The typical American "church" will spend over 85% of the funds it receives on salary and just keeping the building standing on the lot. How much of this can be justified as ministry and how much is just institutional survival.

At one point, I used to consult with local churches on what it means to be a valid scriptural "church". I divided the group into tables of eight and ask them to write down everything that came to their mind when I said the word "church". I gave them a few minutes and then went to the board and consolidate the lists from the various tables.

I then asked them to take the list on the board and strike off everything that was not found in scripture. It didn't take very long for somebody to say..."We just struck off the entire denomination". That was the point of course. We throw the word "church" around and assume that everything we associate with that term is actually part of being an authentic scriptural church.

Yes, it takes financial support to do as Christ wants us to do. That means we should be very careful about where we put that support, least to much of it funds non productive things. Dollars are precious things, that God can use for wonderful ministry, we should treat them with the respect they are due.

The institutional church, or at least what we associate with it, is a scripture aberration. It came into being centuries after the death of Jesus and has morphed into some very funky notions and concepts that have zero to do with our Christian scriptural mandates. These types of discussions, while uncomfortable for some, do serve a valid purpose in thinking about the vital issue of how a Christian uses their money and where it goes in the cause of Christ.

The blind knee jerk reaction that you should/must give 10% of your income either gross or net, to your local "church" is a simple, and often wrong answer to a very real and complex issue of faith. It is more than wrong to extort dollars from members through guilt and manipulation. I don't think that is a God thing.

Being a faithful Christian is a serious thing, that require much thought and prayers. We should not just follow the ruts in the road, other have placed there. They may have been going to the wrong place.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 12-13-2017 at 04:08 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I agree completely with your major premise that it takes the financial support of Christians to make Christian ministry happen.

Now here are my questions about "the Church".

1. Is there such a thing as a church that is faithless to it calling to ministry?
    2. Is there a church that is irresponsible with the money it's members give?
    3. Are we required to support religious organizations that are involved in 1 and 2 above?

The typical American "church" will spend over 85% of the funds it receives on salary and just keeping the building standing on the lot. How much of this can be justified as ministry and how much is just institutional survival.

At one point, I used to consult with local churches on what it means to be a valid scriptural "church". I divided the group into tables of eight and ask them to write down everything that came to their mind when I said the word "church". I gave them a few minutes and then went to the board and consolidate the lists from the various tables.

I then asked them to take the list on the board and strike off everything that was not found in scripture. It didn't take very long for somebody to say..."We just struck off the entire denomination". That was the point of course. We throw the word "church" around and assume that everything we associate with that term is actually part of being an authentic scriptural church.

Yes, it takes financial support to do as Christ wants us to do. That means we should be very careful about where we put that support, least to much of it funds non productive things. Dollars are precious things, that God can use for wonderful ministry, we should treat them with the respect they are due.

The institutional church, or at least what we associate with it, is a scripture aberration. It came into being centuries after the death of Jesus and has morphed into some very funky notions and concepts that have zero to do with our Christian scriptural mandates. These types of discussions, while uncomfortable for some, do serve a valid purpose in thinking about the vital issue of how a Christian uses their money and where it goes in the cause of Christ.

The blind knee jerk reaction that you should/must give 10% of your income either gross or net, to your local "church" is a simple, and often wrong answer to a very real and complex issue of faith. It is more than wrong to extort dollars from members through guilt and manipulation. I don't think that is a God thing.

Being a faithful Christian is a serious thing, that require much thought and prayers. We should not just follow the ruts in the road, other have placed there. They may have been going to the wrong place.
    Jesus did say that his people weren't very good with money (Luke 16:8,9)

Boolit Master

All I can say about the post regarding Native American religion is that it’s a rather idealistic view of Native American culture and beliefs. Having a little of that ethnic background myself, and a respect for that culture, I can say is it’s not all roses like you think, and Christianity is not all bad like you think. There’s a world of variation in each. The Indians had their problems too; it’s human nature.

Back to tithing, or at least a similar topic; I’ve often wondered about how church should be. We’ve always belonged to smaller non-denominational community churches, and it’s always all about various activities. There’s the youth group, the women’s ministry, men’s ministry, numerous programs and groups and ministries. They’re all good things I think, but everyone is always so busy, busy running. The only way to ever get to know anyone is if you’re running the same direction, involved in the same things. I’m just not a super involved type of person. Nobody ever gets together and gets to know their neighbor anymore because if they’re not running with church activities they’re running with their kids’ school activities. Go, go, go all the time. It’s exhausting to even think about it.

Sometimes I wonder if all the running is really necessary, as well as the rock-concert stages, nice big buildings, fancy electronics and sound systems, etc..

I was told once by a pastor that all these things are necessary because that’s what people expect and want nowadays. Churches that don’t go down that road die of old age because the younger people don’t come. Maybe he was right. I don’t know.

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    Back to tithing, or at least a similar topic; I’ve often wondered .
    I was told once by a pastor that all these things are necessary because that’s what people expect and want nowadays. Churches that don’t go down that road die of old age because the younger people don’t come. Maybe he was right. I don’t know.
    Right, give them activity and entertainment to keep their butts in the pews and dollars in the collection plates. They should probably put a red light out front as well.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Man I hear a lot of legalism in the 10% also a lot of excuses that you will give account of.
    You all are missing the point 10 net or 10 gross or 5%. It is about faithfully giving first yourself to the Lord the honoring him with supporting His work. Sounds like some of you go to things that call themselves churches. You find a church serving Jesus, teaching the bible. Doing evangelism, worshipping Jesus, caring for the needy, fellowshipping and supporting missions and you will gladly support it cause it has all six pillars of a solid church.
    We are the family of God joint heirs with Jesus in the kingdom of Heaven

Boolit Master

Yes, I tithe, it ALL belongs to God
    Rule #1, you can NOT out give God.

Malachi 3:10
    10"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this," says the LORD of hosts, "if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows.

Remember Christ did not come to do away with the law, but to fulfill it. (Matt 5:17-19)

I am NOT preaching but saying that I have tried it and it is true,

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Sheet well spoken you caught it

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Yes, I tithe, it ALL belongs to God
    Rule #1, you can NOT out give God.

Malachi 3:10
    10"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this," says the LORD of hosts, "if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows.

Remember Christ did not come to do away with the law, but to fulfill it. (Matt 5:17-19)

I am NOT preaching but saying that I have tried it and it is true,

Mike
    Peace and material blessings for following the Law (including tithes) were part of God's covenant with Israel. They do not apply to the Church. Being part of the Church is a whole other experience. It comes with trouble, hardship and persecution; even the "Son of Man had no place to lay his head." Of course we don't have too much trouble, hardship and persecution in the US. But Christians do in other places of the world and it isn't because they don't faithfully give money back to God.

Moderator Emeritus

I am another who tithes. I ask to see my pastors tax receipts and I match the 10% he gives. Find out if yours gives what he expects you to.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    Peace and material blessings for following the Law (including tithes) were part of God's covenant with Israel. They do not apply to the Church. Being part of the Church is a whole other experience. It comes with trouble, hardship and persecution; even the "Son of Man had no place to lay his head." Of course we don't have too much trouble, hardship and persecution in the US. But Christians do in other places of the world and it isn't because they don't faithfully give money back to God.
    I suppose the 10 commandments don't apply to us either then.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    I suppose the 10 commandments don't apply to us either then.
    All of the 10 Commandments except for "Remember the Sabbath to keep it holy" are repeated in the New Testament in some form.

Do you eat pork? Are all your male family members circumcised to be acceptable to God? The Old Covenant passed away and with it the Law.

Boolit Master
    Yes I eat pork but so can jews now. See acts 10:10-15.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Yes I eat pork but so can jews now. See acts 10:10-15.
    OK. There are hundreds of other commands under the Law that were not officially rescinded in the New Testament that Christians do not obey. As New Testament believers we understand that we do not please God by following the Law. Tithing was an Old Testament requirement under a contract God had with Israel. God does not have the same agreement with the Church.

Like I've written a couple times here, in the New Testament, Christians are encouraged to support the poor (who have no other options) and Church ministries. No set amount is prescribed and giving is to be done freely.

While God never changes, the Old Covenant and the New Covenant are quite different. Christians should understand this and not mix the two together. It's a new wine in an old wineskin thing.

Boolit Master
    A lot of good responses. I have nothing new to add. I do however fill compelled to add my two cents.

First tithes is the wrong word. Tithing is a old testement mandate it ended with the preaching Jeuses. Mathew 17:25 jeues asks Peter dose the king tax his family or strangers.

The first century church should be the standard all churches and congregations should go by.
    We see in the book of acts the people gave all they had. all! And that no one with without. That is time money everything.

Is this what is required? No you are not requerd to give anything. Still in the book of acts we see Annanias and Sapphira acts 5:3 they sold a pece of property and kept some of the money for themselves. When confronted Peter asked them why have you done this? The money was yours to give away or to keep why have you lied about it? Then he fell dead

To answer your question,do you give 10%? yes I do. I don't say this to brag but to show how badly I fail if my standard is the first church. And not just with my money but my time and my faith.

I liken it to when I was a kid and I would make somthing for my mother. I would put my heart and soul into it and give it to her. It was the greatest gift she had ever received. When we give with all our hart it's the greatest gift he could ever git
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast