MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Do you give 10% to your church?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by largom View Post
    You cannot BUY your way to heaven with money! I gave up going to church, instead I study the religions of the American Indians. Some would jump up and down on me for that but the Native Americans were more religious and gave more thanks than any Christian group. They believed that Everything created by God was sacred. Anyone that accumulated wealth without sharing was looked down upon. If one went hungry they all went hungry! They were happy and prospered until the white man brought Christianity to them.
    I have heard that the beliefs of the native Americans were quite varied. Some believed as you state here but there were many different belief systems across the land. I believe that there is a single thread of truth. Many folks believe that "what ever works for you is good" I believe in gaining the actual truth and believing it. After practicing that for a while it makes a difference in ones entire perspective. This single thread or line of truth is not certainly not always able to be ascertained but seeking it is a very different procedure than just manufacturing some form of "possibility" that works for people. I believe that this is what is referred to in the Bible as the "flood of dissipation". When people make up their own truth. there is a dissipation of integrity in society. We have been witnessing that in our world now for a few decades at least.

Boolit Master
    Why where the Christians in Acts gathered in one place and giving all they had?

I'll contend it was a unique situation in the history of Christianity. All the Christians in the world where there, in one place, convinced Jesus was returning any day now. These early Christians saw no reason to have possessions as Christ was going to take them NOW. Anninas sin wasn't that he didn't give enough, its that he wanted recognition for having given all, while keeping some back, then lying about it. Did God's word spread because everyone gave all they had and where in the same place? No it didn't! God's word spread through Christians being persecuted, yet taking their faith with them! If you follow through the scriptures you'll see many false beliefs from this time had to be corrected.
    Last edited by Thundarstick; 12-14-2017 at 08:07 AM.

Banned
    I don't know the bible never studied it and being raised a catholic I wasn't exposed to very much of it so I cannot begin to know it line and verse. So, I am asking those in the know for scripture references in the old testament and the new. Some here say the old testament said to give 10%. Some say that doesn't apply. So, I am confused as to what applies or doesn't. Is it that we can find conflicting ideas about giving?

Boolit Master
    I say this with all kindness!
    Not knowing is what happens when you let someone else do your studying for you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    I say this with all kindness!
    Not knowing is what happens when you let someone else do your studying for you.
    I'm sorry but your comment makes no sense to me. Like I mentioned I grew up going to the catholic church until the age of 16. My memories of the catholic church is that it didn't dwell on the bible. I'm not asking someone to do my studying for me but rather possibly point me to scripture that I can read and possibly make my own mind up.

Boolit Master
    As you can see already there are several different beliefs. I'm saying your in the predicament your in because of lack of scriptural knowledge to decide for yourself.

Boolit Master
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I'm not asking someone to do my studying for me but rather possibly point me to scripture that I can read and possibly make my own mind up.
    I'm saying your in the predicament your in because of lack of scriptural knowledge to decide for yourself.
    Well, now we have you on the same page, that is refreshing.

FWIW @ 6bg6ga, take the tools JBinMN has offered and begin your study, and by and large disregard most of the conflicting information deposited here by well meaning but ignorant people, and do as you suggest in your post, and make up your own mind from the scripture references.

If you are truly seeking, the answer will become apparent from the scripture, believe God, not men.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by claude View Post
    Well, now we have you on the same page, that is refreshing.

FWIW @ 6bg6ga, take the tools JBinMN has offered and begin your study, and by and large disregard most of the conflicting information deposited here by well meaning but ignorant people, and do as you suggest in your post, and make up your own mind from the scripture references.

If you are truly seeking, the answer will become apparent from the scripture, believe God, not men.
    the ignorant comments arent needed, as not all our faiths and beliefs are identical!

Boolit Master
    Regardless of how the Bible is "interpreted". I give a minimum of 10% because I believe that is what God is asking me to do. I give by faith not obligation. If he is asking you to give a different amount, then that is between you and him. However, making excuses for not giving back to God is not the right road to go down.

Rosewood
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Boolit Buddy

My wife and I have been fortunate enough to support the Mission our Church for many years. We give what we can monthly. We learned many years ago to set aside money for the Church first and have never missed the funds. We learned this from a very dear Christian Lady almost 40 years ago. We both try to spend 2.4 hours a day in Prayer, study and service...that is more difficult than the monetary tithe. My advice sir is to give what you are comfortable giving and rest assured that your acceptance of the Prevenient Grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will sustain you.

rick

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Regardless of how the Bible is "interpreted". I give a minimum of 10% because I believe that is what God is asking me to do. I give by faith not obligation. If he is asking you to give a different amount, then that is between you and him. However, making excuses for not giving back to God is not the right road to go down.

Rosewood
    You give by faith and not obligation. The people who gave tithes under the Old Covenant were obligated. So therefore you have acknowledged you are not tithing as prescribed by the Old Testament. You are following what you feel God has led you to do. I think that is pretty close to what I have said.

I have always tried to follow John Wesley's counsel on the "Proper Us of Money". It is rather long, but I will hit the high points;

First of all it the love of money that is the root of evil, it is not money itself. Money is a gift of God that can do wonderful things for others in the hands of God's people. Therefore it behooves a Christian to:

1. GAIN all you can. However there are proper and moral ways by which Christians can gain money and improper and immoral ways also. In gaining money, make certain we do not hurt others in either their body, spirit or ability to make a living. He gives illustrations of all of these things not to do.

2. After you have GAINED all you can, then SAVE all you can and do not waste any of this precious gift of God on the A) the lust of the eye, B) the lust of the flesh or C) the pride of life. In this Wesley followed the teachings of John.

3. After you have SAVED all you can, then GIVE all you can. You should first provide for your family and yourself, so you will not be a burden on others. Then you should "go good to those who are the household of faith". Lastly if you have any left, you should "do good to all of mankind".

I note, that Wesley talks about principals and priorities and not about legalism, that you must or should give a set amount. He makes no mention of tithing or even giving to a church, but when he says to good to those who are the household of faith, it is implicit that he is talking about the church. I do believe in supporting your church, but care should be taken that the money so given, is indeed doing good to those that are of the household of faith and not the perpetuation of a money sponge institution.

I belong to the "think and let think" school of Christian thought unless we are talking about "the marrow of the faith", such as the divinity of Christ, the resurrection of Christ and like items.

I do draw the line however, at folks who take the position, if you don't think as I think and do as I think you should, God is going to get you. I want to stay as far away from these modern day Pharisees as possible. The way of Christ is the way of love and grace and not the way of judgment and rules.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Rosewood
    What is the difference between an "excuse" and a "reason"? If you feel in your heart that what you give comes from God, is that an "excuse" or a "reason". Some have felt that others who see things different are making excuses.

I really want to know how you see the difference between a reason and an excuse. I was in total agreement with you until you got to the excuse item in your post.

As I understand the general tenor of this thread, it is about the validity of a mandatory tithe and not whether or not people should "give back to God". Those are not the same notions, as least in my mind they are not even related.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I have always tried to follow John Wesley's counsel on the "Proper Us of Money". It is rather long, but I will hit the high points;

First of all it the love of money that is the root of evil, it is not money itself. Money is a gift of God that can do wonderful things for others in the hands of God's people. Therefore it behooves a Christian to:

1. GAIN all you can. However there are proper and moral ways by which Christians can gain money and improper and immoral ways also. In gaining money, make certain we do not hurt others in either their body, spirit or ability to make a living. He gives illustrations of all of these things not to do.

2. After you have GAINED all you can, then SAVE all you can and do not waste any of this precious gift of God on the A) the lust of the eye, B) the lust of the flesh or C) the pride of life. In this Wesley followed the teachings of John.

3. After you have SAVED all you can, then GIVE all you can. You should first provide for your family and yourself, so you will not be a burden on others. Then you should "go good to those who are the household of faith". Lastly if you have any left, you should "do good to all of mankind".

I note, that Wesley talks about principals and priorities and not about legalism, that you must or should give a set amount. He makes no mention of tithing or even giving to a church, but when he says to good to those who are the household of faith, it is implicit that he is talking about the church. I do believe in supporting your church, but care should be taken that the money so given, is indeed doing good to those that are of the household of faith and not the perpetuation of a money sponge institution.

I belong to the "think and let think" school of Christian thought unless we are talking about "the marrow of the faith", such as the divinity of Christ, the resurrection of Christ and like items.

I do draw the line however, at folks who take the position, if you don't think as I think and do as I think you should, God is going to get you. I want to stay as far away from these modern day Pharisees as possible. The way of Christ is the way of love and grace and not the way of judgment and rules.
    Reverend my wife and I have tried our best to follow John Wesley's "Proper use of Money" since the days of our Confirmation Classes. Our parents did their best to instill the heart of a Servant in us throughout our upbringing.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by jumbeaux View Post
    Reverend my wife and I have tried our best to follow John Wesley's "Proper use of Money" since the days of our Confirmation Classes. Our parents did their best to instill the heart of a Servant in us throughout our upbringing.

rick
    You folks were blessed with such parents. The Proper Use of Money, really is more difficult than writing a check for a certain percentage and being done with it. It requires prayer and thought about each dollar gained, each dollar spent and each dollar given.

It isn't about buying heaven or giving to a specific church. It is about faith. God gives you 100% of what you get. All he ask is that you give back 10% .......
    Regardless of what the Church does with what you give, God ask you to give, if they use the money inappropriately, God will deal with them. We have to answer for our actions not those of others.

Rosewood
    Herein lies the point of difference between you and many others here. They, as well as I, don't believe that God requires 10% from Christians. That is ancient Jewish legalism that does not carry forward to the Christian era.

I do believe that we are to give and I set out my thinking in my "Proper Use of Money" post.

I do believe that God will bless our faith and he will take care of us in many ways. I have seen it in my life, and the life of others. However God's response to our faith is in no way connected to what percentage of our income we give to a local church. That is an artificial connection drawn by folks who have a vested interest in keep the church's bills paid.

I will disagree, that we just write the check and if the church misuses that money, well that is on them. No, it is on you, for God has given you that money to use wisely and not throw it away, when it could do so much good otherwise. You can't pass the buck to the "church" on that one. That would be one of the excuses you talk about.

Boolit Master

Deleted. Sorry, sometimes I get caught up and ramble on, then after a while realize that I posted more than I want to, and probably came off as whiny and rambling.
    Last edited by fatelk; 12-14-2017 at 10:07 PM.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    As you all know I post little.
    A question for the self centered who refuse to go to church or support the church.
    Jesus bride is the church. Jesus had the disciples establish churches everywhere they reached folks for Christ. Man has missed up some churches but when Jesus returns he will call forth the believers to Him. By faith you are saved not of works less any should boast.
    Where will you spend eternity? The choice is yours and God gave you free will.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher Jim View Post
    As you all know I post little.
    A question for the self centered who refuse to go to church or support the church.
    Jesus bride is the church. Jesus had the disciples establish churches everywhere they reached folks for Christ. Man has missed up some churches but when Jesus returns he will call forth the believers to Him. By faith you are saved not of works less any should boast.
    Where will you spend eternity? The choice is yours and God gave you free will.
    Have you entertained the remote possibility that you might be wrong and those whom you call self centered might be faithful Christians who just don't see things your way? Do you have the corner on truth and speak for God in all matters?

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast