MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data Wideners

Thread: 320 gr cast lead HP

Boolit Buddy

320 gr cast lead HP

I purchased some 320 gr Cast GCHP .459 bullets from GT bullets.I will be shooting them from a 14" SSK contender and a T/C encore 24" barrel. I will be using these for whitetail and hogs. I am trying to find a load that will work in both. Any suggestions would be appreciated. [45-70]

Boolit Buddy
    We do have some 45-70 shooters here, right?

Boolit Master
    Ton of variables, which is likely why nobody has responded. Every gun will have a load it prefers, and finding one that works in multiple ones can be tough. Then there is the question of the boolits. What alloy and Bhn? if they are overly hard, getting good expansion without fragmenting can be difficult. You have plenty of barrel length on either gun to get ample velocity. If you aren't looking for the absolute last FPS, I use and recommend H-4198 for powder, it works well from Trapdoor level loads up to pretty spicy. Good luck.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    Ton of variables, which is likely why nobody has responded. Every gun will have a load it prefers, and finding one that works in multiple ones can be tough. Then there is the question of the boolits. What alloy and Bhn? if they are overly hard, getting good expansion without fragmenting can be difficult. You have plenty of barrel length on either gun to get ample velocity. If you aren't looking for the absolute last FPS, I use and recommend H-4198 for powder, it works well from Trapdoor level loads up to pretty spicy. Good luck.
    I am aware that there can be many variables. The alloy is 2-2-96 and should expand without having to max it out. Actually, I was trying to keep it down to approx. 1400 fps [pistol] and 1600 fps for the rifle. I was thinking that there had to be people here who shoot rifle-pistol with the same ammo. One load can"t suite all, but you should be able to find a good reasonable compromise. [maybe such as 30 gr of A2400 or 34 gr IMR 4198?] Hopefully someone can give some advise based on experience.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have only used the 45-70 as a rifle, but I had good results from the RCBS 45-325U loaded over 27.0 grains of 2400. I would start at 25 grains and go up .5 grains at a time, until I got to to 28.0 grains, (Lyman #3 max for the 322 grain Gould Hollowpoint). I used a tuft of bamboo for a filler (think dacron, but natural fiber on sale at Michael's). Do not compact the filler, but simply allow the boolit to push it into the case where it will stabilize the position of the powder at the rear of the case.
    I have also used Reloader 7, but I do not recall the weight.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    I have only used the 45-70 as a rifle, but I had good results from the RCBS 45-325U loaded over 27.0 grains of 2400. I would start at 25 grains and go up .5 grains at a time, until I got to to 28.0 grains, (Lyman #3 max for the 322 grain Gould Hollowpoint). I used a tuft of bamboo for a filler (think dacron, but natural fiber on sale at Michael's). Do not compact the filler, but simply allow the boolit to push it into the case where it will stabilize the position of the powder at the rear of the case.
    I have also used Reloader 7, but I do not recall the weight.
    I was hopeing I wouldn't need a filler. Have you tried that load without a filler?