RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Finallychecking

Boolit Master

Finallychecking

Mr Darnell very nicely sold me a .22 cal FC III. In concurrent communications he said he had a bunch of parts, from different suppliers, for a .30 cal FC III, Would I like him to make one up? I did and received both via SFRPM. So multiple months go by with me looking at Al flashing every where I shop as I can. None of it is correct.

I find a box of Hornady checks obtained with some reloading "stuff" and learn to seat them on my lyman 55 gr .224 bullets. This goes well. I only ruin 3 checks by dropping them upside down in my 450. I split the nose of about 10 bullets seating checks so those will have to be recovered.

One eve. I searched on line for Al roof flashing. I find a brand ive never heard of at Home Despot. I can't find any info on thickness. Finally I take an 8" wide roll ( the least expensive) to checkout. A very friendly clerk looks on H.D.'s data base and finds the thickness is 0.011. Perfect.

At home I use my Harbor Fright 12" shear/break to cut some strips. I screw a 7/16" bolt into the top of my classic cast and make a 1" tall split ring to fit around the top of the ram. These hold the FC III in place with the discharge end on top of the ram. The checks fall through the ram into the primer collection tube just like spent primers.

These seated as easily as the Hornady checks. Yahoo.

Then I experimented with doubled up soda can material. I should have done this first. It worked as well as the flashing. I've been making PB checks for several months before this and have lots of cut down soda cans.

Live and learn.

Boolit Master
    I wish you luck. It's been a while since I updated my reading on the subject (probably 6 months) but I have yet to see anyone have good results with aluminum checks on .22 caliber bullets using them for .223 Rem. I don't know why.

My best groups with al checks are around 5" at 50 yards. I tried annealing and all the other tricks still no luck. My measurements indicate that I should be getting a good fit as well.

I haven't gotten good results with my 7.5x54 Mas either with al checks. This is a Lee 160gr 2r TL. They shoot great with Hornady copper checks.

Motor

Boolit Buddy
    Did you know that you can get Amerimax flashing at a Ace hardware store? It is to be had in several thicknesses including .008. It has been several years since I did this. You could order it through ACE and and you pick it up from the hardware store. No shipping charged. Aluminum GCs have worked ok for me in 7mm,30/31 cal and 8mm. I mostly had to glue them on with superglue.
    n.h.schmidt

Boolit Master
    Pat marlin will not warrant his dies if you use amerimax .010. He states it's too hard.

Boolit Buddy
    I thought you were using FCIII in 22 cal. Pat must have changed his mind about that.He was a promoter of that brand . You can soften the aluminum in a oven to make it work better. I used to cut strips and put them in my toaster oven by the hundreds.
    n.h.schmidt

Boolit Buddy
    Pat, did you get my pm from last night? Wallace

Boolit Buddy
    Thinking Ned and wrote Pat. Try again. Ned, did you get my pm from last night? Wallace

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Wallace Yes I did and have now replied
    n.h.schmidt