Thread: The story of my 405 JESS

Boolit Buddy

The story of my 405 JESS

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0761.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	209241
    Some have asked so here it goes! The 405 JESS started out as a Westernfield 740A-E. and besides having a small chip out of the forearm it was near perfect, 30-30 and shot fine. The one thing it had was the metal forearm cap needed for this conversion. I sent it to Jes in Oregon and he said anything over 375 gets 4 groove instead of his 3 groove that is great too, I have a Glenfield 30 AS rebored to 38-55 also which shoots just as good. The price was $300 and something as I don't remember exactly but it was with return shipping and custom dies for the 405, 3 dies set as with all straight walled cases. The cartridge starts out with 444 Marlin brass cut & trimmed to 2.050 and resized back down to 41 caliber. I started shooting 215 gr cast pistol bullets until I found some Buffalo Arms .412 GC boolits at $28.00 for 50 and that don't last long as much as I shoot. I asked where they got the boolits from and they said from their custom mold. I asked could I buy one and the produced the number in their online search engine, pre-paid they built it for me in a couple of weeks. Cast up a hundred the first batch, sized and GC'd them and started shooting them with great satisfaction and have powder coated some to and they all shoot just as good.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0904.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	209242 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1567.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	209243
    I was shooting them with Brigadire 4197 powder but ran out of it so I tried some with H335 and they sure have a snap when they go off! This was last years Buck killed with store bought Buffalo Arms 300 gr GC that I now have the mold for, I bough a set of Lee 6 cavity mold handles for the mold and touch just a minor modification and work flawlessly! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0823.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	209244
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Interesting. Thanks for the write up.

WoW...Great Job!! I did the same only used the .44 boolit! these big straight cases really work well!! I had John Taylor do my barrel and I cut the chamber !!!

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Thank you for all of the detail.
    That is exactly what I️ was hoping for and you delivered.
    I️ really appreciate you taking the time to write this up.
    It looks like a great rifle. Gotta start looking for a rifle to send to Jess. And good luck on your Texas Hog hunt. If you score with the .405 Jes we expect a story and some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Buddy

Most definitely
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Now I want a .405 Jes instead of a .35-30 or 38-55! Still waiting for that beat up post 64 Win or Glenfield to show up........

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    "The one thing it had was the metal forearm cap needed for this conversion."

Why is this required for the conversion. I have a Glenfield that is this way. Is that preferable?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Banned
    great buck and story!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Good evening
    Give JESS a call and he will explain the why... Barrel thickness.
    We bought ours near 3 years back. This is one humdinger of a cartridge. Worked up to a NOE 342 grainer that is max length for the twist but stable with the loads we used to 65 yards. 300- 320 are stable to 100 yards which is all the further we tried it.
    Also have a 336 Glenn field in 414 Supermag which if you have a DW 414 SM makes a fine combination to hunt with.
    Bet a long cylinder BFR could handle the 405 JESS !
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.