Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: What Scale for Swagers

Boolit Buddy

What Scale for Swagers

Swaging tube ends round last night, had several prototypes sitting on the shelf above my bench so I can see what I'm aiming for. Must have set them too close to the edge of the shelf and they fell off. Well I didn't think much about it until I looked over and the readout on my scale (Gempro 250) was dancing around like a Ballerina in the Nutcracker. Dust shield still up, SCRAP ! So now I'm on the hunt for a new one. I just got done reading a bunch of threads about weighing powder for loads, but I couldn't find anything about what other swagers are using to weigh bullets and those parts for construction of projectiles.

I gotta do some more research, but I'm thinking about trying the Pact, about the same price as my Gempro was, and with all the reviews I've read, seems Gempro's can be hit or miss with quality. I'm not complaining about them, I've had real good experience with the one I have. Until now. Nothing wrong with it but the Operator.

So how "Picky" are you swagers and what scale are you using to get there ?

I believe the gem pro has a 30 yr or lifetime warranty. Might want to check that out.. D

Boolit Master
    I had a Pact and could not get it to work correctlly. Sent it back to Pact, they said nothing wrong. Could have been flourescent lights????? I have a Gempro 250 and it works perfectly.

Boolit Grand Master

PACT scales are made in the US from as many US sourced parts as possible. Their scales are accurate and repeatable. Combine the two and you have a winner all around. One of the two digital scales I still own is a PACT.

Banned

I just got the PACT scale
    Really like it
    As noted made in USA
    They will rebuild it for around $50 if that is necessary

Boolit Master
    I've always have & do use an RCBS 10-10 beam scale
    Bob

Boolit Master

My pact scale goes bonkers all the time. I do not trust it and would not pay 50 dollars to rebuild it.
    Balance beams work.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    My pact scale goes bonkers all the time. I do not trust it and would not pay 50 dollars to rebuild it.
    Balance beams work.
    Do you want me to list things that can give you wrong readings on a beam scale? They aren't immune to issues. The biggest one being operator error. Obviously you shouldn't use a scale you don't trust no matter the type.

Boolit Master

Sure, information is good.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    I have and use a RCBS 505, a Dillon electronic, and RCBS Chargemaster. I do not use fluorescent lights in the reloading room, so that eliminates one perceived problem with the electronic scales. Also, whatever scale I am using at the time gets checked with calibration weights.
    If something seems amiss the scale gets re-zeroed and set with the calibration weights before proceeding.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an RCBS and Hornady beam scale, both are good scales and they both work good, but beyond my patience for slow when weighing parts. Especially when I need to switch back and forth from copper to lead, and I tend to do that quite a bit.

The main lighting in my reloading room is Florescent lighting, and I've never noticed any problems from it before. Never unplugged the Gempro and it never moved unless something was set on it. I also have a green electronic scale, (not RCBS) that has to be Tared every time I set something on it. I didn't know about the lighting until just recently, so now I wonder if that is a problem with that scale. I'll try it in a different room away from tube lights.

As far as warranty goes, the Gempro does have a good one, but the warranty card clearly states to return "original receipt with this original warranty card" with scale. And after more than two years I have no idea where that receipt is. It feels funny that I have all the paperwork that came in the box, but not the receipt. I'll have to search through old e-mails and probably a box of old paperwork, and still be real lucky if I find it. It'll just be way quicker to buy another for now.

What is the Warranty and resolution on the Pact ? Does it go to 1/10th or 1/100th ?

Banned

1/10 of a grain

Boolit Bub
    I have many electronic & balance beam scales, but I use a VIC123 from Sartorius for weighing jackets & the like. has a 1/100th gr resolution & so far has been wonderful to use. No issues at all. Spendy, yes, but as was mentioned above, I feel I can trust it far more than anything else I have. Got a Bald Eagle on a super special Shiraz was running a couple years back as a backup, & that seems to work very well & consistently also, but being a backup, it just waits on the shelf.
    Mark

Boolit Buddy
    I also run a Sartorius and have it set for 1/100 of a grain. Very reliable but feeds the OCD. If you have any variations in you lead or trim length of jacket ,it highlights it immediately.
    I was lucky enough to work at a laboratory and it was being replaced by newer balances. I know .1 of a grain is more than enough accuracy, but when you have the ability to see .01gn it is hard to go back and use a standard balance.

Billsshed
    The bloke out in the field is always right until proven otherwise.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a pact scale and it went nuts when I set up a radio transmitter about 20 feet away. At the time I had no idea about interference so I sent it in and it came back with a note listing things that cause interference so by elimination I found the problem. I love my Pact scale, my gem pro readout acts up if I leave it on too long, you can't go wrong with an RCBS 10 10 too, my RCBS digital also works well.
    Last edited by Gew; 12-13-2017 at 10:37 PM.

Banned
    RCBS 5-0-5 You couldnt get me to use a digital.

Boolit Buddy
    denver

Boolit Buddy
    I would love to be able to afford a Sartorius, anybody want to make a donation ? (never hurts to ask) I did go back to my original green scale and moved it out of the florescent lighting, but it still has to be tared every time something is sat on it. better than nothing, but I just don't trust it. Got a new Gempro 250 yesterday and set it up, and I made sure to keep a copy of the invoice with the box. But I'm going to contact Gempro and ask them to take the old one anyway, see what kind of customer service they got. I did look for a Pact, but it was either out of stock or not available at my usual haunts.

So anyway, now I'm good to go for the holidays. Thanks for all your feedback.

If I don't see you before then, Have a wonderful Christmas !!!