Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TGIC free powder recommendation?

Boolit Man

TGIC free powder recommendation?

Can any of you guys recommend a powder that works well for coating boolits that is TGIC free?

Thanks!
    Pastor Curtis

Some of the retailers don't even know. Seen the same powder marked tgic free and not. I just enclosed my casting/baking area and cover the front with a large sheet of paper. Exhaust fan takes care of any fumes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wk0Nhok.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	209223

I didn't know what TGIC was so I looked it up. According to the Powder Coating Institute powdercoating has been around since the 1970's. TGIC (triglycidyl isocyanurate) is an integral part of the powder. It is what makes the chemical mix then bond process during baking.

From their pdf "The TGIC contained in some powder coatings chemically reacts with polymers during this curing process and transforms into a very stable polymeric matrix."

read more at https://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.powder...20Coatings.pdf only one page, easy read.

Boolit Master

I take it this is bad to inhale?

drink?

eat?

rub all over your body?
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Banned

don't breathe it in.
    it's a cyanide derivative.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    don't breathe it in.
    it's a cyanide derivative.
    My desire not to use it has more to do with having kids in the house and tgic being a mutagen. But I'm not interested in debating any of that...just like to hear a recommendation of a specific powder someone has used to good effect that is listed as tgic free.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    Seems like a while back there was a company mentioned. Tiger coatings I think. Might do a search and see. I could be wrong. I'll bet it is more expensive.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Look for powder sold in EU, IIRC they require it.
    Whatever!

Banned

I wouldn't do ANY powder coating in the house. If your real conserned get a toaster oven and an extension cord and do it outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorcurtis View Post
    My desire not to use it has more to do with having kids in the house and tgic being a mutagen. But I'm not interested in debating any of that...just like to hear a recommendation of a specific powder someone has used to good effect that is listed as tgic free.

Thanks

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Been used in bonding agents as long as I can remember and it does cause lung damage. Ventilation is critical when spraying, shaking, handling, or baking.

Boolit Man
    I founds two TGIC free powders at Powder By The Pound by using the site: function search in google. Steele Blue RAL-5011-S and Super Durable Bronze. I'll try both and let you guys know how it turns out.

Pastor Curtis

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I wouldn't do ANY powder coating in the house. If your real conserned get a toaster oven and an extension cord and do it outside.
    I was never sure how dangerous the dust from PC is so I've always done mine under the carport. Then all I have to do it make sure I'm upwind of it
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Banned

casting, loading, pc coating or painting anything and even shooting are dangerous if you don't use common sense. If you want total safety take up knitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    casting, loading, pc coating or painting anything and even shooting are dangerous if you don't use common sense. If you want total safety take up knitting.
    Make sure you put the corks on the needles so no one loses an eye

Vendor Sponsor

TGIC free powders will NOT do well in the shake and bake method. At least thats what my testing has shown
    They will spray fine
    Reguardless No powdercoating curing should be done in an occupied living space.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    TGIC free powders will NOT do well in the shake and bake method. At least thats what my testing has shown
    They will spray fine
    Reguardless No powdercoating curing should be done in an occupied living space.
    Thanks for the information, Smoke...did you try warming the boolits a bit before shake and bake? USPS promises they will have the powder to me on Thursday...so we'll see!

Pastor Curtis

Vendor Sponsor

The tgic is a bonding agent and lack of it will probaby effect how the powder performs going down the barrel.
    Only testing will show if it will work in your applications (ie pressures/speeds)
    I will caution to keep a close eye out for leading. It may not be an issue or it may rear its ugly head quickly. Just be cautious and check often
    Good luck to you
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Man
    The TGIC-free powders (Super Durable Bronze and Steele Blue 5011-s from Powder by the Pound) arrived a day early. They both went on just fine with my normal shake and bake method (ice cream tubs), and then stood up to bake in a toaster over. Based on past experience with dark colors, I turned the temp down to 350 and after 10 minutes the infrared thermometer read 393 on the bullets. I turned the stove down to 325 for the last 10 minutes.

The coating looks great, passes the hammer test, and went through the sizer just fine.

Next up will be testing these coated bullets with the .308 load that made me truly lover powder coating: 30.0 gr of H4895 seated to and crimped in the groove of the C309-170-RF Lee bullet running at just shy of 1900fps.

Pastor Curtis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20171213_134913.jpg  

I'll second the bad idea of doing any any pc inside a house. Shake, store, or bake. None, in open garage or outside

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorcurtis View Post
    The TGIC-free powders (Super Durable Bronze and Steele Blue 5011-s from Powder by the Pound) arrived a day early. They both went on just fine with my normal shake and bake method (ice cream tubs), and then stood up to bake in a toaster over. Based on past experience with dark colors, I turned the temp down to 350 and after 10 minutes the infrared thermometer read 393 on the bullets. I turned the stove down to 325 for the last 10 minutes.

The coating looks great, passes the hammer test, and went through the sizer just fine.

Next up will be testing these coated bullets with the .308 load that made me truly lover powder coating: 30.0 gr of H4895 seated to and crimped in the groove of the C309-170-RF Lee bullet running at just shy of 1900fps.

Pastor Curtis
    Both powders worked very well in both the 308 load (30 grains H4895 under a Lee C309-170-F) and a 303 load (27.5 grains H4895 under the Lee C312-180-R). Equivalent to the Eastwood Ford Light Blue.

Pastor Curtis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast