Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: A life changing event part 1

Boolit Master

A life changing event part 1

im sure almost all of you have a defining memory or 3 built around a special someone well I was blessed to have nearly 23 years with my grandfather. A hard working God fearing man filled with knowledge, he was a noted horse whisperer, heavy equipment operator, rancher, and something of a local legend as a shooter. So at 6 years old I was given my first BB gun an old daisy pump and I fancied myself pretty darn good with it. I was staying for a week or so at his house and with BB gun in tow started attempting to shoot acorns out of an old red oak. With horses and chickens and pigs and geese and out building he didn't want me shooting into the air randomly and developing bad habits.
    He gave me a package of nra small bore targets and wrote 10,15,20,30,50 and 100 feet on them in order and pinned them to a safe back stop. He told me when I bought one of each to him with 5 shots in the bullseye he'd buy my more bbs and show me a thing of two. Then he went back inside and left me alone. Later he told me that young shooters can be smoothed by to much info and coaching once safety is covered and the basics of marksmanship were installed which my father had done a good job of than a boy needs to shoot about 5000 bbs at various ranges to learn trigger control and wind age and sight line (what we call sight picture/sight alignment)
    It took me a long time to complete this task and two more cartons of copperhead bbs.
    These shooting assignments went on all summer, and I was also becoming a fair ranch hand spending so much time their with him and grandma almost as he entire summer. Also one hard rule at their house was on Sunday if you were at thief house you went to church, didn't have to be their small Bell Oak Bible Church but you had to attend service. By the end of that summer I could lite a stick match at 30 feet offhand with that old daisy. The next summer I moved up to a Benjamin Sherdin 22 caliber pellet rifle and got paid to shoot rats crows coons woodchucks pigeons opposoms skunks and weasel. Started learning a lot about animals and work, sat in on lots of adult Bible studies. As I grew older I was slowly given access to any firearm in his house to take to the old dump and shoot.
    Some where around the age of 10 a shirttail relative came over with her boyfriend to borrow money, her boyfriend asked if I'd like to shoot his new 22 as he'd heard I was as good a shot as Grandpa. We went to a small wood lot across the street and he started shooting at a sign on the door of this old barn, I thought it was wrong but he was an adult so when my turn came I shot the sign as well. Grandpa came out of the trees behind us snatched that Marlin 22 and broke it against a tree, he punched that fellow in the face and gave me the whopping of my life, the barn was old and empty but it was still a building and most importantly it didn't belong to us it belongs to a neighbor!!!!! I spent the rest of that summer working off my debt to that neighbor and earning Grandpas trust back.
    Last edited by nagantguy; 12-10-2017 at 09:23 AM.

Boolit Master

I'm sure you get the point; I was being molded into a man by a fine Christian man, church, rules work ,tending to animals,shooting ,learning respect and learning to make amends when I did wrong.
    He could work leather, train horses, he helped build the highways, he was a good neighbor, a pillar in his church, fostered strong family ties, helped anyone anytime he could. He only told one lie , one little white harmless lie in his life to spare someone's feelings and 20 years later on his death bed he was still worried about it and hoped God had forgiven him. One lie!
    The world will not see his like again!

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Thank you for that story , I enjoyed it .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Great story - you need to write more!

Men like your grandfather are what is lost in this world. If we could only get back just a part of that work ethic, dedication, God/family loving feelings, America could be saved & once again become the country all others aspire to be.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    Great story! Sounds like a heckuva feller! One worth knowing.

Not too many around like that much anymore it seems & it is a pity...

Thanks for sharing!

Semper Fi!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

He sounds like quite a man.

Boolit Master

Your grandpa brought you up right. Great story. Good that you cherish the memories.
    Sadly, if your grandpa gave you a whooping today, he'd be going to jail and you'd be going to social services. Men like him built character and country, liberal political correctness have destroyed that.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    I'm sure you get the point; I was being molded into a man by a fine Christian man, church, rules work ,tending to animals,shooting ,learning respect and learning to make amends when I did wrong.
    He could work leather, train horses, he helped build the highways, he was a good neighbor, a pillar in his church, fostered strong family ties, helped anyone anytime he could. He only told one lie , one little white harmless lie in his life to spare someone's feelings and 20 years later on his death bed he was still worried about it and hoped God had forgiven him. One lie!
    The world will not see his like again!
    Thanks, NG - uplifting. There aren't many of his ilk aren't any of his ilk around anymore, and it is our loss. We can attempt to emulate, but it gets harder and harder...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)