Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question for metalurgists regarding cooling system flushing

Boolit Master

A question for metalurgists regarding cooling system flushing

A friend has a mid 90s freightliner that has been run with no antifreeze and has a lot of rust in the coolant. He asked me about a flush, and I thought phosphoric acid would be a good idea. However, given the different metals in the system, (copper in the oil cooler) I'm wondering about galvanic corrosion.
    Thanks in advance for your expertise.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Grand Master

Is there a reason he does not want to use one of the commercial flushes as in cost? I'm wondering why he would run a truck on straight water like that, too.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    He just bought this truck, and is in the process of fixing it up. A store-bought flush would be fine. The question is aimed at getting the best results, rather than the least cost.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Use the commercial flush. Inspect the inside of the cooling system with a fiber-optic probe if possible. If you don't get the results you want the flush could be repeated. If not immediately, then simply at a shorter interval. Be sure to pressure and leak test. Older cooling system may need a sealant after flush if you cannot afford to replace it now. Good luck.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Commercial flush. It has acid neutralizers in it to prevent a lot of future problems from what ever was put in there before.

Boolit Master
    flush it with out the radiator hooked to the motor . the flush will break loss the rust in the block and clog up the radiator. learned that the hard way.

Boolit Master

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if that Freightliner is powered by a Cummings or a Cat he will more than likely have to replace the cylinder liners very shortly! Pure water in the cooling system leads to air cavitation on the liners and they will pit through under the o rings on the liners extremely fast. As far as flushing the cooling system the commercial two part powdered flush kit made by Dupont is the best I've used. I wish him luck!

Boolit Master
    Yep, he's figuring on having to replace the liners. The motor is pretty fresh, but the guy he bought it from has very little knowledge. He bought it cheap, and runs his business well, so paying for repairs isn't a problem.

Banned

a good inexpensive flush would be the same citric acid we use for our brass cases.
    it works great on carburetor jets too.

Boolit Grand Master

Commercial flush it. I am thinking that with the age and the straight water diet he will be in for some work, radiator first and foremost. In fact, I would have taken a look at the straight water and just ordered a radiator

I would try filling the cooling system with a commercial flush and the chemical they are made of is typically either Citric Acid or Oxalic Acid.
    If you wish to try something else (possibly but not certainly "milder") use Distilled Vinegar, it may take several gallons, but it is reasonable cheap at WalMart

I have experience both as a mechanic as well as having worked Chemical Technician.

I can say that the best way of removing corrosion from Iron is usually some ORGANIC acid, Such as Acetic, Oxalic or Citric, which are used because they are effective and CHEAP.
    I will also comment that Malic(apples, Strawberries and many other fruits) Acid and Tartaric (typically Grapes) Acid and Ascorbic would likely work but, they are not so cheap.

these acids are also commonly used in conservation and restoration of corroded metal items (disassembled components of Coleman Lanterns)
    Last edited by AllanD; 12-25-2017 at 01:26 AM.

Vendor Sponsor

Sulfamic acid is what I descale espresso machines with and it too would work but again commercial flushes have the corrosion inhibitor that will protect the different metals so I would use the commercial stuff and not just straight acid that you mix yourself even though it's mild.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Being used as a commercial vehicle? Consider the cost of a breakdown on the job, might do well to pull the engine, resleeve and blow the block, new radiator then fill with good anticorrosion coolant. Why do people do expensive things cheaply?

Boolit Master
    He's not cheap. I was just looking for the best flush. Its on it's maiden voyage for him now. It had an inframe about 100000 miles ago with non oem parts. It's using oil as though the rings never seated properly. Looks like it'll have to be rebuilt again. At 100000, it should've broken in by now.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tommag View Post
    He's not cheap. I was just looking for the best flush. Its on it's maiden voyage for him now. It had an inframe about 100000 miles ago with non oem parts. It's using oil as though the rings never seated properly. Looks like it'll have to be rebuilt again. At 100000, it should've broken in by now.
    That stuff happens. Friend of mine just did an inframe and a week later he had to get towed back to the shop. Something weren't quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Sulfamic acid is what I descale espresso machines with and it too would work but again commercial flushes have the corrosion inhibitor that will protect the different metals so I would use the commercial stuff and not just straight acid that you mix yourself even though it's mild.
    I have an electric appliance a sunbream"hotshot"that heats a single cup of water to boiling and it needs to be cleaned several times a year, and when time comes to clean it I run It with 12oz of undiluted Muriatic (hydrochloric) Acid you should see the deposits removed down to bare metal and the Vivid green the liquid becomes as the deposits, obviously some sort of Copper salts, are removed.

I use the same cleaning method on my tea Kettles (stainless steel "revereware" with copper bottoms) and put it onto the stove, Hot Muriatic Acid removes "Lime scale" on Contact

But you Never want to get it onto Aluminum which it dissolves nearly as fast!

AD
    Last edited by AllanD; 12-25-2017 at 05:53 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    We have had good luck using the flush made by BG Products. If the truck does not have one already, have a coolant filter installed.

Boolit Master
    BG Products is right here in my hometown, so close I could see the place from my roof. They make some great products that I have faith in, no snake oils.

That said, the best flush product I have used is Mercedes Benz Citrus-flush powder. As the name implies, it is pretty much just citric acid, maybe some oxalic too. I have used just plain off the shelf citric acid powder with great results. It just flat works! I have even used it after a thorough flush with a commercial product and done the citric after and its surprising how dirty the citrus flush was. It is relatively inexpensive to do too. I was a BMW Master Tech for 10+yrs but worked on lots of euro cars and all cars in general. I am also a Coleman collector and I use it for brass parts restoration as AllanD pointed out.

I have also heard the same about big Cummins engines having problems dropping liners and the coolant ending up in the oil pan. I'd probably run something like Wix Cool additive. The older Ford/International IDI diesels had problems with cavitation & porosity and they developed special additives for that.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    He did a complete fluids change yesterday and ran 1200 miles with no oil consumption. Looks like the goober he bought it from never changed the oil, as well as not us8ng antifreeze. While damage was surely done because of lack of maintenance, it might not be as bad as originally thought.

Boolit Master
    The big problem is the potential for dumping a load of glycol into the motor.When a truck can be run without AF,and just corr inhib in the water,theres no risk.Clearing a motor of a big load of glycol is a costly business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast