RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Got A Plan Coming Together

Got A Plan Coming Together

For the shorter .52 x 28" twist barrel was running up against a wall on making a clamp on mount.
    Rummaged around and found the 2x7 TC pistol scope and a flat bottomed mount.
    Found a replacement lock.
    There's some stainless set screws here somewhere to make customized flash hole liners.

Time out. Kings X. Rethink...

I can't bring myself to drill and tap scope mount holes into a nice flinter.
    So, I got Ol' Ugly to tinker with.
    Ol' Ugly came into my possession long ago as a fifty caliber red dotted and pyrodexed into junk much abused and neglected Renegade.
    Well, since then it's been rebored to .54 and much lapped. Matter of fact the lapping was almost completed when we left Texas. So, the other night I unwrapped the barrel. Tonight I pulled out the aged Ironsighter mounts that had been on it. Washed, dried and then brass brushed them. The airborne dust particles from the ancient pyrodex residue gave me a tickle throated cough and part of the finish fell off the aluminum. Boy are they ugly. How very appropriate.

So, there's a cracked and repaired Renegade stock around here with screw metal and gray J-B Weld showing through. The Ironsighters can go back on the barrel. Will need to grub around for a plastic coated scope (preferably dinged up and aged to perfection).

Gosh, this would have been a great piece to take to that range outside of Houston I shot at in the early eighties that was built into the back of a beer joint. Would have been a good one betting on the 100 yard benches for who would buy the next round.

I don't have a slotted tube for aligning Ironsighters but will make do.

Boolit Master

Can you see through the Phantom mount so you can also use the iron sights?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Yep, it'll work. There's a globe hooded type front sight on it now. Can install a TC rear on it. Don't know as I'd use the iron sights but then again you never can tell. Reckon I'd better figger out a scope for it.

Do the Ironsighter mounts that fasten directly to the barrel need to be installed with a fixative between the barrel and the front and rear bases?

Needed #8-36 screws for the threaded scoping mounting holes. Ended up had to get 3/4" long and work the length down to fit the holes and the thickness of metal on the mounts. And the socket heads were too big in diameter to fit in the countersinks in the mounts so the heads' diameter had to be worked down. Got those all done. Uh oh, needed a 5/32" allen wrench for the sockets.

OK. Ready to find a scope for it.

Banned
    Excuse me while I to stick 2 fingers down my throat

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Needed #8-36 screws for the threaded scoping mounting holes. Ended up had to get 3/4" long and work the length down to fit the holes and the thickness of metal on the mounts. And the socket heads were too big in diameter to fit in the countersinks in the mounts so the heads' diameter had to be worked down. Got those all done. Uh oh, needed a 5/32" allen wrench for the sockets.

OK. Ready to find a scope for it.
    Been where you are and you will find your going to shoot /better /farther/ longer and pay no attention to younger /less experienced ,folks with much better eyesight ! They will shoot poorly /or quit and sell their guns (OR) do what more experienced (OLDER) folks with poor eye sight that enjoy shooting /hunting and in my case shooting long do , (stik a scope on it) and keep on enjoying what matters

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    I'll post a picture worth a thousand words some day soon. Don't hurt yourself.
    Last edited by Good Cheer; 01-21-2018 at 06:50 AM. Reason: left out a word

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Been where you are and you will find your going to shoot /better /farther/ longer and pay no attention to younger /less experienced ,folks with much better eyesight ! They will shoot poorly /or quit and sell their guns (OR) do what more experienced (OLDER) folks with poor eye sight that enjoy shooting /hunting and in my case shooting long do , (stik a scope on it) and keep on enjoying what matters
    Heh, I expect this is going to be some kind of fun shooter. REAL's, round ball, minies, maxihunters, lubed, paper patched, plenty of molds to play with.

Dang it.
    Dug through all the toy boxes and don't have a suitable scope without pulling one off a rifle.
    Now I have to figger out which make and model.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    I agree if you can see a target with open sights. I have the same problem these days. My groups at 100yd are limited by my eyesight. Even with shooting aids (apertures) I am limited. If I want a period looking scope I have to spend almost $1000 for a Malcom setup. Very frustrating.

Heck, I am close to buying an inline so I can mount a scope without being 'offensive'.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    So, there's a cracked and repaired Renegade stock around here with screw metal and gray J-B Weld showing through. The Ironsighters can go back on the barrel. Will need to grub around for a plastic coated scope (preferably dinged up and aged to perfection).
    Good Cheer, how much eye relief (scope-to-eyeball separation) distance do you anticipate, using the Ironsighter mounts on that Renegade barrel?
    Last edited by ofitg; 01-22-2018 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Clarification
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

I just don't know; but the word "sacrilege" comes to mind.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ofitg View Post
    Good Cheer, how much eye relief (scope-to-eyeball separation) distance do you anticipate, using the Ironsighter mounts on that Renegade barrel?
    Don't know yet, got to figure it out. The Ironsighters are reversible so that there's a little leeway for different scope geometries. But, those holes that someone long ago drilled in the barrel are what I'm trying to work with.

This was the repair to the lock area, before relocating from Texas three years ago.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OL UGLY SPLIT REPAIR.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	212483

That screw has been trimmed flush and filed down. Looks kinda like a curiously misplaced Marlin logo. But it salvaged an otherwise lost stock. And as long as the stock is being worked on, I can't help but think about how this rascal will fit me for snuggling up on the bench. Might rearrange the comb. Might alter the drop from bore centerline to butt. Nothing sacred about Ol' Ugly. The flinter in the picture up above, now she's too purty to mess with. But Ol'Ugly is a great excuse to indulge my tinkin' heart.

Got a TC peep mounted on the tang and it looks through the Ironsighters OK.
    Last edited by Good Cheer; 01-23-2018 at 06:37 AM.

I was thinking that some vintage .22 scopes (long straight tubes, no objective or eyepiece bells) superficially resemble 1800s scopes, and might not appear so "out of place" on a muzzle-loader. However, you would need to mount the scope so the eyepiece is within a couple/few inches of your eye.

Shifting gears for a moment, are you familiar with the Davidson scopes used by Confederate snipers?

The "side mount" idea might be an approach to avoid drilling holes in your nice flinter. This article on Davidson relates that people were playing around with scopes on flintlocks in the early 1800s, even though I couldn't find any illustrations of such a rig -

https://springfieldarsenal.files.wor...-telescope.pdf
    Last edited by ofitg; 01-23-2018 at 05:09 PM.
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson