Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Present for a Want-To-Be reloader?

Boolit Master

Christmas Present for a Want-To-Be reloader?

Well, my wife asked me to recommend a gift she could purchase for our 20 year old grandchild that lives with us while he is attending his second year of college at a university in town. He came with a few firearms that his father bought for him in high school, which includes rifles in 243, 30-06, 22 long rifle, 7.62x54R (Russian) and shotguns in 12 gauge and 410. He recently purchased a Lee Breech Lock Reloader Single Stage Press from a local gun shop, but nothing else. Unfortunately he is one of those hard headed individuals that won't take any advice from me. If I try to start any conversations with him about shooting or reloading he just won't talk or he just answers with a one word answer. So, I am not on a conversational level with him yet. Hence, all of my recommendations have to go through my wife. The first thing I recommended to my wife was a reloading manual, and after looking at several we decided to order a Lyman 50th Reloading Manual since it was the most general and not designed around one make of bullets. So, my question is, what would be other recommendations for this new to be reloader?

A good powder scale.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    A good powder scale.
    ///// THIS!!! Maybe you can get buy with the Lee dippers, maybe not, but I don’t like reloading with unknown quantities of powder!
    Next would be a pair of calipers, then dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Bub
    A kinetic bullet puller.
    He is a newbee
    Nothing like unwinding a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    Well, my wife asked me to recommend a gift she could purchase for our 20 year old grandchild that lives with us while he is attending his second year of college at a university in town. He came with a few firearms that his father bought for him in high school, which includes rifles in 243, 30-06, 22 long rifle, 7.62x54R (Russian) and shotguns in 12 gauge and 410. He recently purchased a Lee Breech Lock Reloader Single Stage Press from a local gun shop, but nothing else. Unfortunately he is one of those hard headed individuals that won't take any advice from me. If I try to start any conversations with him about shooting or reloading he just won't talk or he just answers with a one word answer. So, I am not on a conversational level with him yet. Hence, all of my recommendations have to go through my wife. The first thing I recommended to my wife was a reloading manual, and after looking at several we decided to order a Lyman 50th Reloading Manual since it was the most general and not designed around one make of bullets. So, my question is, what would be other recommendations for this new to be reloader?
    I wouldn't bother with him until he learned to communicate and had some civility towards the man who provides the roof over his head.

Can't take advise...won't communicate...he's got a problem and doesn't sound like reloader material!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

I would not get him anything. If he won't engage in a discussion about reloading I would not want to be held liable in any future lawsuits if he blows up a gun. Call me a pessimist if you want. But there is no reason to ever be hard headed when it comes to reloading. Let him go at it alone since that's apparently what he wants to do.

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I wouldn't bother with him until he learned to communicate and had some civility towards the man who provides the roof over his head.

Can't take advise...won't communicate...he's got a problem and doesn't sound like reloader material!
    I can’t much argue with that logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Buddy
    Get him the reloading manual. If he will not invest the time and effort in reading it, then he should not be reloading at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post

There have been some guys I chose not to help for a number of reasons. This person has bigger problems than learning how to cast bullets

You could get him 10 pounds of 'maturity' but I don't think they sell that in any of the stores
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

Grandson or not I wouldn't buy him anything until he show at least a little respect.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    It sounds like he has problems a reloading manual isn't likely to fix . Perhaps if he knows you suggested it he might come around . Good on ya for trying .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    A manual is great, a scale is great, maybe some primer pickup tubes. Maybe a gift card for reloading stuff from one of the online retailers?

Not knowing any of the history I won’t rush to judge his behavior, but will say that having a common hobby can only help.

Boolit Man
    What a shame I got to spent a good portion of my life with my grandad he taught me everything I know about reloading and most everything gun related I cant set down at my loading or casting bench without thinking about him. He's been gone a few years now and I sure miss him and his 60 years of reloading/whatever else expierence that I could draw on at anytime. I was fortunate to have him as a mentor/ father figure. and when I get to missing him I have a few of his guns I can go out and put some cast boolits that he taught me how to make through them and I feel a little better.

Boolit Master

A good starting point for a beginner is a Lee Anniversary Reloader Kit, but I agree with the others in reference to an attitude adjustment before any gifts are offered, specially under your own roof.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    I would bet the kid is under a lot of pressure from the antigun,green element at that institution.They have not subtle ways of letting anyone with guns know how much they are hated by the liberal social change feminist element.

Boolit Master
    Maybe...

He doesn't want to reload...

Maybe....

he bought the press as a gift for his grandfather & does not want to talk about it to spoil a surprise?

I think I would not do anything more & wait to see what "he" decides he wants to do... "You can lead a horse to water, but ya can't make him drink.", then again... maybe he ain't thirsty anyway. Meaning maybe he doesn't want to reload, but he does want to make his Gramps happy in another way, his "own" way...

Just a guess & maybe it is no help, but I tried to give a different perspective.

I wish ya G'Luck! regardless of how things work out.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Yeah JB, I suppose 'if' your 'iffin this and that' trying to find some reason for the kid's behavior...well, it could be anything.
    The thing is that the OP has to get the kid talking first...

God only knows what kids are faced with their peers in college these days, it certainly ain't like the days when I grew up when all we had to worry about is some dang 'Hippie' and 'Peace, Love , Dove mantra' they used to spew...life was much simpler in those days, it seemed.
    But the corruption in Government and Society was there...I was just 'blisfully ignorant' of it at his age...now it's all in his face.

Well...the truth won't hurt him, only make him tougher, that is AFTER he learns to communicate with his GramPa.,
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I suspect he is intimidated. And there is a good chance that you scare the living daylights out of him.

Your going to have to feel your way as far as the conversation is concerned.

I agree with the scale. Good choice and a much needed tool.

Take your time. Remember from his viewpoint you have seen everything since God made Dirt.
    You have done it all and forgotten more than he knows. So just relax. Show him that you don't bite.

Maybe a range day outting?

If I try to start any conversations with him about shooting or reloading he just won't talk or he just answers with a one word answer. So, I am not on a conversational level with him yet.
    I don't know either one of you, but I have a question for you. Are you packing that rejection around with you and letting it get in your way? It's a rhetorical question, the answer is none of my business, but it is yours.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wl620 View Post
    What a shame I got to spent a good portion of my life with my grandad he taught me everything I know about reloading and most everything gun related I cant set down at my loading or casting bench without thinking about him. He's been gone a few years now and I sure miss him and his 60 years of reloading/whatever else expierence that I could draw on at anytime. I was fortunate to have him as a mentor/ father figure. and when I get to missing him I have a few of his guns I can go out and put some cast boolits that he taught me how to make through them and I feel a little better.
    This sounds like me! I only have fond memories of my Grandfather and he set the standard that I hope to follow now that I am a Grandfather.

DonMountain, You are in a tough situation. I hope that whatever the boys problem (problems) are that he will eventually come around. You can meet this hardheadedness with more hardheadedness or you can meet it with love and understanding. Its up to you how you handle it and I won't offer an opinion. But back to your question, I suggest a good manual or two. Lyman would be my first choice. Lee also seems to be a favorite on most of the other forums that I visit. My thinking is that he can't get into much trouble reloading until he gets more equipment and as a student, maybe he will read the books first. Good Luck with this, its a tough situation.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast