Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Picked up an old Ithaca a few days ago.

Boolit Master

Picked up an old Ithaca a few days ago.

Found this old Ithaca (1970-72ish) and thought it looked a little odd. It turns out it was one of the old Tikka M55 that were made for Ithaca. Someone took some effort and adapted a Lyman 57 receiver sight to it. Not something I was exactly looking for but it come home with me anyway. I've heard that the .243 is the absolute worst platform for cast bullets so I may be in for some grief.... I figure the .243, Ithaca, some blue dot I have a ton of and either the Lyman 245496 or RCBS 95gr Sil (molds I already have) shall soon come together. Also has a really decent trigger like many guns from that era did. (-:}
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xIMG_2204.jpg   xIMG_2206.jpg  

The .243 has a 1-10 twist, the same as the 30-06 and many others. It will do just fine with cast bullets as long as you mind the velocity and the quality of your cast bullets.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Very good looking gun, I like the sights.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy C View Post
    Very good looking gun, I like the sights.
    Lyman sight was really the only reason I bought this one. It was pretty cheap too, seems everyone else wanted a scope.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xIMG_2212.jpg  

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    Most Ithaca CF rifles were BSA based. Nothing wrong with them at all.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifers View Post
    Most Ithaca CF rifles were BSA based. Nothing wrong with them at all.
    I think they went to BSA after the Tikkas. I think they only used the M55 (Ithaca LSA-55) from around 1969-1976. Then they went to the BSAs. The Tikka version seems to be a really well done rifle not sure why they went to BSA.
    Last edited by arlon; 12-09-2017 at 04:31 PM.

I had a LSA55 Ithaca .308 in the 80's. Based on my experience with that gun, when the Tikka T3 appeared I RAN to the LGS and got a 22-250. First rate firearms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I had a LSA55 Ithaca .308 in the 80's. Based on my experience with that gun, when the Tikka T3 appeared I RAN to the LGS and got a 22-250. First rate firearms.

I have a half dozen Tikka barreled Mosin Nagants, all of them shoot very well. At least I know Tikka had some experience making guns work! (-:}

Mine had the Rosewood grip &cap, white line spacers, a palm swell and rollover cheekpiece. It was accurate enough to take prairie dogging and I did. The old Donn Heath store in Ft Worth is where I got it. They had another Deluxe in 22-250 but when I came back next paycheck- it was gone.

If I may, I call dibs if you get tired of it. I'm expecting a grandson next spring and It's never too early to outfit a hunting gun for him......

Boolit Master
    Probably make a good kids gun. I know the old Tikkas had a good reputation for accuracy, fit and finish. Found a few more tidpits of info on them. Long article on the LSA-55 in Frank De Haas's Bolt Action Rifles book. Interesting read if you happen to have one of these things.

Boolit Man
    I've had pretty good luck with the rcbs 243-095-sp. as long as I dont try to run them to fast.

Boolit Master
    That's nice, I also have bought a rifle just for the all steel older peep sights.

Boolit Master
    very nice little gun you have. I had one in the 70's in a 308 and it was lively when you pulled the trigger. I don't remember what I did with it but I do know I don't have it anymore. That gun in 243 would be perfect for kids!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Quote Originally Posted by wl620 View Post
    I've had pretty good luck with the rcbs 243-095-sp. as long as I dont try to run them to fast.
    I was going to say pretty much the same thing. My grandsons shoot that RCBS 95 over 8.5 grains of 700x and while it's no barn burner it's accurate in their rifles with little recoil.

Boolit Master
    This rifle is surprisingly light. Not sure exactly what it weighs but it just feels light in the hands. I can see where it would be "lively" in .308.

Boolit Master
    Saw something interesting while reading a wiki write up on the 22-250 cartridge. It states that the British and Australian Special Air Services used the Tikka M55 in 22-250 for their urban sniper rifles at one time (22-250 chosen to reduce ricochets). A little vote of confidence for the M55 platform.

I would love to find a LSA 65 in 30-06 to round out my Tikka battery. I have T3 22-250 & 25-06; they need a big brother.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I would love to find a LSA 65 in 30-06 to round out my Tikka battery. I have T3 22-250 & 25-06; they need a big brother.

The 30-06 would be my favorite too but the .243 is still in my top five favorite rifle rounds. My two all time favorites would be 30-06 then .222...