WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Value of Encore 500 S&W barrel??

Boolit Master

Value of Encore 500 S&W barrel??

This is not a for sale thread at all. If this type question is not allowed I apologize and would ask a mod to please delete it or PM me and I will.

Several years ago I bought an Encore Prohunter with a 500 S&W barrel on it. I bought it mostly for the frame, but decided to see if I liked the 500. Just not my cup-o-tea. This thing was basically shot about a dozen times, all cast bullet loads. I took it off cleaned it and put it in the safe when I got my 300blk and 357 MAX barrels for it. Just wondering what that barrel might be worth if I decided to sell it. Thanks for any input.

In Remembrance

wic:
    You should check out the Graybeard site and their Encore classified section. http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/179-enc...assifieds.html

I have seen several .500S&W barrels sold there. I bought one from a fellow club member last year for $100. He was happy to pass it on and he had no other takers. The .500S&W is a handful in the light Encore platform, even with reduced cast boolit loads. I can't imagine firing one in a pistol. When I was in Ketchikan last June, I saw several of the big S&W 50 caliber pistols for sale in a gun shop. I asked if they were a popular gun for bear protection. The shop owner replied that people bought them to use against big bears but traded them in after they fired them a couple of times. He had several boxes of half-full factory ammo to go with each gun if I wanted to buy one.

Boolit Bub
    I paid $200 for mine. They don't seem to move very quick. Like you say not your cup of tea seams to be the general rule. It's a real handful and not for everybody.

Boolit Master
    $200 would be about tops for a factory used barrel...even in excellent condition.

Banned
    thats why i use a 500 linebaugh. it only goes 30,000 - 35,000psi with top loads. i use hs-6 and 2400 with my 450gr and 530gr boolits. its more than enough (1000 -1200fps) to kill big game.

Boolit Master
    yea seems about right between 100-175 for that caliber and used barrel. Fact is once it is shot itI is used the market on the 500 Encore is not that great. good luck with it

Boolit Master
    You didn't say if it was pistol or rifle.

Boolit Master

I have a 500 S&W barrel from MGM, it is a serious handful, not for everyone, probably not for most. Looks like the Lincoln tunnel with a trigger on it (quote from a book I liked).