Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6mm Creedmoore and Brit 303 question

I have read a lot of post on all these 6mm cartridges and there's not a lot to be gained unless you build one for a specific need. A 6mm Creedmoor RPR would be fun to shoot. If I bought one in 223 I could shoot it cheap until I switch the barrel out to 6mm. and have my 6x45
    Last edited by Randy C; 12-09-2017 at 04:11 PM.

Bama

Your right I just cleaned and sized 500 rounds of LC Brass there was 150 rounds of wolf brass in the mix.
    I'm waiting for the Little Crow gun works trimmer and primer pocket reamer I ordered. I will have the brass ready all I need is the gun.

Lucifers

I don't shoot the 303 or My 308 or 30\06 and larger calibers any more. I like and I'm going to buy most of the 6mm's calibers built. I like them.

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy C View Post
    Attachment 209159 The gun don't have a street value like it is this was done in the 70s
    Well yes it does IF the action and magazine are un-bubbaed and the bore is A+ it's worth around $250.00

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    A 6mm CM is a 308 based case. You could not rebbl any 223 gun to it w/o changing a lot more.

You might want to buy a copy of CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD so you can see what's what.

Lucifers

Sorry you miss under stood, If I buy a 223 I could put a 6mm barrel on it and have a 6x45, that's what I'm prepping brass LC Brass for,
    The Bore on the 303 has a lot of wear. I had a gun smith check it out 25yrs ago.
    I would spend more on the gun then its worth. If I did it wright The boy might use it for many years. There is a lot more bullets available for 308 then the 303. You and every body said it would not make a 6mm Creedmoor.

The 303 is a good cartridge but this won had a hard life, and I was trying to give it a second chance at life. The 270 I showed a picture of has a 26" barrel and was an old military rifle. There was a gun smith in Texas he specialized in building these old guns, it's a hell of a hunting rifle at any range now. He made the stock by hand he would make several guns a year and take them to CO. and sell them there he loved to hunt on our land.

He was disabled and couldn't walk Don and my Dad would find him a place to shoot from and he would get his Deer and Elk every year. I have a build sheet on that gun some where.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Randy C

Banned

|A lot of people form the CM's from 250Savage/22-250. Yes you can use 308 brass but it's thicker and pressures will be higher with identical 6mm CM load and you may have to turn the necks too.

Those 303 actions were never designed for the pressures that the 6mm CM will obtain nor were the Isaphores in 7.62 NATO meant for 308W pressures.
    Last edited by vzerone; 12-09-2017 at 04:54 PM.

Banned

Sorry you miss under stood, If I buy a 223 I could put a 6mm barrel on it and have a 6x45, that's what I'm prepping brass LC Brass for,
    The Bore on the 303 has a lot of wear. I had a gun smith check it out 25yrs ago.
    I would spend more on the gun then its worth. If I did it wright The boy might use it for many years. There is a lot more bullets available for 308 then the 303. You and every body said it would not make a 6mm Creedmoor.

The 303 is a good cartridge but this won had a hard life, and I was trying to give it a second chance at life. The 270 I showed a picture of has a 26" barrel and was an old military rifle. There was a gun smith in Texas he specialized in building these old guns, it's a hell of a hunting rifle at any range now. He made the stock by hand he would make several guns a year and take them to CO. and sell them there he loved to hunt on our land.

He was disabled and couldn't walk Don and my Dad would find him a place to shoot from and he would get his Deer and Elk every year. I have a build sheet on that gun some where.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Randy C
    A 35-303 is a neat cartridge and a very good hunting one.

I will have to read up on it. 35-303

Banned

I will have to read up on it. 35-303
    If you went with that you would get or want tighter chamber dimensions and that way your brass would last much longer then the 303 brass does in the sloppy 303 chambers.

In Australia they have wildcatted the 303 cartridge to about everything we have for the 30-06. In about all calibers. Check with JES as he has some reboring standards like the 35 for the 303. One very interesting conversion I read about is the 38-303 or one rebored to 375.

DEP

Boolit Master
    Unless you are doing the work yourself. Converting the Enfield over to 6mm Creemoor would cost more than to just buy a rifle already chambered for it.

Right now at Cabelas, they have the Thompson Center Compass bolt action rifles on sale at $299 (earlier they were $339) plus there is a $75 rebate too. But it is chambered for the 6.5 Creedmoor though. Now they do have it in .243 Winchester which is a 6mm cartridge too. So that is a pretty good deal. A barrel only would cost you more than this rifle. If you are a veteran you can get a military discount of 5% too.

Of course if you are thinking about the PRS competitions then certainly a custom rifle chambered for the 6mm Creedmore may be the way to go though.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 12-10-2017 at 11:55 AM. Reason: add more information

Quality shooting time

I'm learning to use these books I have, Cartridges of the world 14th edition and Ammo Encyclopedia 5th edition. I ask for them for Christmas a few years back and this is the first time I tried to use them like this. I'm use to Meat and potato's guns, this conversion stuff is out of my wheel house. I'm in no hurry with this gun.

I'm probably going to buy a Ruger Precision Rifle I may buy 2.
    I could buy 1 scope and share it. I want to get our cousins boy into shooting these guns, It will keep him busy in between playing sports.
    We can spend more quality time together, I like shooting but my eyes aren't young like his.

Thanks for the advice
    Randy C

Pressure on Brit 303 is 46,500 I think some thing like a 30/30 would fit but I have one of these from the 60s to give to the boy later. I don't fully understand all the factors it takes to convert a Rifle. I'm learning, Lucifers is keeping me straight in his own way

Have a good day I'm going to a auction they have a little of everything,, guns and reloading supplys.

Good auction Its nice to see guns sold for the price there worth again.
    Last edited by Randy C; 12-10-2017 at 04:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    One thought is to rebarrel the 303 to use a 6mm-303 type of wildcat cartridge. If I remember right they could get the 6mm Musgrave to do 2700 FPS with a 100 grain bullet without the high chamber pressures that the 6mm Creedmoor operates at. Then you don’t have to mess with the bolt face to fit a smaller cartridge base.

Earlwb

I think the 303 started out as a BP cartridge I could go back to its roots and Keep it that way and have fun with it, I have a case of cartridge of grade Goex.

I love to shoot my 45/70 sharps I pour my own I use Old West Bullet Moulds, From Fruita CO.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	castingbullets002.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	209248 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0981.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	209249 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0397_zpsfb013160.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	209259
    This is some of the boolits I make
    Last edited by Randy C; 12-10-2017 at 07:11 PM.

Earlwb

I'm off work right now and trying to get things in place to retire, I've been working 16 + hr.'s a day for over ten years in the oil field, here in North Dakota. The books I have don't have all the answers I like your suggestion if it keeps the pressure down, I liked the Idea of a 308 but I don't Know all the pressure problems that can come up. I'm slow at collecting the right data but good at using it. Thanks for your suggestion.

This post lasted a lot longer then I meant it to.

I enjoy reading about all the options, I wonder what the best Black Powder option would be.

Banned

If you're going to hunt with it the 35-303 will have better performance on deer. All 35 calibers are good deer caliber. You should have a little more steam then a 35 Rememington and you know how well that performs.

Myself i don't want any black powder in my centerfire rifles. Too much cleaning you have to do, plus BP eats your cases up unless you wash those out too.

Boolit Master
    Yes you can use black powder in the .303 British cartridge and rifle. The original load was 70 grains of black powder compressed slightly with a 215 grain jacketed bullet. Muzzle velocity was around 1500 fps. The original rifles used a shallow Lee Metford rifling to help reduce fouling. But still the black powder cartridges work fine with the Enfield rifling. It should be fine with 180 grain or so weight cast bullets too. You may or may not be able to get 70 grains of black powder into the case but that should not hurt a thing though.

The British were using a compressed pellet of black powder with a hole in the center of the pellet. They inserted the pellet before they neck sized the cartridges. They also put in a thin wad over the powder charge. Obviously we cannot do that today unless you happen to be swaging out your own cases.

they were discussing it in this thread here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...h-Black-Powder
    Last edited by Earlwb; 12-10-2017 at 11:03 PM. Reason: typo correction

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast