RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 6mm Creedmoore and Brit 303 question

Boolit Grand Master

very interesting read

Banned

Randy go here and check out the TC Compass rifles. You can have it in a multitude of calibers and look at the price after the rebate not the sale price and it's free shipping. About as cost effective as what you're wanting to do with your 303.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...n+Center+Arms/

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    My 223 Compass arrived today. Hard to believe this great a rifle for 300 bucks. Going off to get whacked back to just legal and threaded (it is already threaded 1/2x28).

Trying to build something like this starting with a clunky military rifle is a waste of time and money.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lucifers View Post
    My 223 Compass arrived today. Hard to believe this great a rifle for 300 bucks. Going off to get whacked back to just legal and threaded (it is already threaded 1/2x28).

Trying to build something like this starting with a clunky military rifle is a waste of time and money.
    If you had bought it from Buds Gun Shop you would have gotten a rebate and the total cost was like $280 something and free shipping.

I got one in 308 and just put a laminated Boyds stock on it. Haven't had it out since restocking it.

Earlwb and everybody-I think you hit the nail on the head, I'm going to order a TC Compass 223 and put a 6mm barrel on it and I will have my 6x45. I can shoot the 223 while I'm waiting for my new barrel. Its $85 for 500 Hornady 50 or 55 grain bullets here at SCHEELS. I talked to them about a 6mm Creedmoor in the Ruger precision Rifle Its has to be ordered. I looked at several other company's precision Rifles but I don't no if they make them in 6mm Creedmoor.
    Last edited by Randy C; 12-11-2017 at 05:02 PM.

223 Compass / Do you think I can change the Barrel my self, It would be nice to be able to switch back and forth between 223/6x45 I could buy the tools to do it. I would end up changing the stock.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Randy C View Post
    223 Compass / Do you think I can change the Barrel my self, It would be nice to be able to switch back and forth between 223/6x45 I could buy the tools to do it. I would end up changing the stock.
    You would have to fabricate it to some type of switch barrel. Just swapping barrels would change the headspace torquing them up each time unless you used a barrel nut system like Savage.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    You would have to fabricate it to some type of switch barrel. Just swapping barrels would change the headspace torquing them up each time unless you used a barrel nut system like Savage.
    No. Switch barrels guns are common. No barrel nut required. I switch barrels on my Tubb 2000 4 or 5 times year with zero headspace issue's.

Boolit Master
    You need a barrel wrench/vice like tool an something to turn the receiver to unscrew it and screw it on. You can use a go gauge and screw the barrel on until it stops, with the bolt inserted of course. Then a no-go gauge or field gauge should not let the bolt close when you test it, but the go gauge should be OK still. I do not see any obvious pins or set screws or anything locking the barrel in place, so it ought to be the same as if you were replacing the barrel on a Mauser, or other rifle. Since they do not have iron sights on it, the barrel threading doesn't need to be carefully machined in order to clock the barrel onto the receiver. Of course a good gunsmith should be able to perform this without any difficulty too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TC_Compass_rifle_bottom_receiver_pic.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	209354

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    No. Switch barrels guns are common. No barrel nut required. I switch barrels on my Tubb 2000 4 or 5 times year with zero headspace issue's.
    I was talking it would be hard for him to do. With him saying he doesn't have tools and would buy I question if he can do it. I also was refering to that on the normal torque should method each time you would do that it sets the thread more. Common practice for example, on a revolver with a fixed front sight, that the first time torques up a little shy of 12 o'clock, you loosen and torque again till it finally ends up a 12. Your Tubbs rifle was specifically built for switch barrels. And yes switch barrels are very common. My friend has the Sig rifle with switch barrels. TC Encores and Contenders are eccentually switch barrels.

I have good mechanical skills I was a mechanic when I was younger Thousands of $ in tools but I'm not a gun smith, I've rebuilt many motors several automatics trans and most old standard trans grew up racing cars and doing all the work on the farm equipment.

Thanks again for the help. I will cross that bridge when it comes time.
    I think I have 100 hundred cast boolits for the 303 I may try BP just for Fun.
    I would have to have a compression die modified for the 303 its not a straight cartridge like my 45/70

Boolit Master
    You can buy Lee 303 British dies for $19.95 on up. Ebay sells them fairly cheap. But many other places sell them too.

Boolit Grand Master

Two methods are used for convential threaded actions for switch barrel rifles. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

The Savage barrel nuts has two primary advantages. First is less cost due to less precision required in holding headspace since the barrel nut replaces the shoulder on a convential style barrel and it works with actions that have don't hold the bolt face to receive face tolerance tight enough to allow for non individual fit barrel swapping. The disadvantages are this method can be less repeatable and slower to swapp out barrels.

With convential threaded barrels and actions the tolerances have to be tighter to allow drop in barrels on all actions. Most higher end custom actions allow for this. Disadvantage is cost.

On a single action fitted with multiple barrels action tolerance is not an issue unless you want to use the barrels on a different action.

I have built switch barrels guns with torque specs from hand tight to 125 foot pounds. Bench rest shooters tend to use low torque on their switch barrel setups.

http://6mmbr.websitetoolbox.com/post...-setup-1389017

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...ifles.3751996/

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rrel-to-action
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-12-2017 at 12:45 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123