RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6mm Creedmoore and Brit 303 question

6mm Creedmoore and Brit 303 question

I was wondering if a person could use a British 303 action to make a 6mm Creedmoor. Or what action works?

Boolit Grand Master

The 6mm Creedmoore uses the .473" headsize of the 30/06 cartridges. The 303 Brit bolt face would need to be reduced.

The Creedmoore was designed for 308 length magazine.

Thank you

Is there much difference in performance in the 6mm Creedmoor over the 243WSSM

My 243WSSM shoots a 115gr boolits good but I never tried to see how they did past 300yds

Banned

I would think the wssm would be a couple 400 hundred FPS faster.

Boolit Master
    I hate boo birds (i get my thoughts out side of the corral alot) but when going smaller it usually takes more PSI to have the bullet move at a good pace and that action is easy to make it groan. At least thats how my 1pc stock 303 (very well bedded) does.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Sarcinc has p17 enfield receivers that you might think about!! You could feel english with the action and light up the channel with one of those, heck chamber it for your wssm and improve it for a little more!(just kidding, well almost) Those are good actions.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy C View Post
    Is there much difference in performance in the 6mm Creedmoor over the 243WSSM
    6 C'More is almost the same capacity as a .243 Winchester just in a stubbier package for use in AICS-style magazines with long, high BC projectiles. A 243 WSSM is closer to a .243 AI in capacity in an even stubbier package.

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble

Question

My question is "why" would anyone think of putting a 6.5 CM for any rifle chambered in 303 Brit ?

The P14 maybe but the SMLE's are not designed for cartridges using 60,000 PSI. 6.5 Creedmores come are common in rifles like the Ruger American or Savages and would be less expensive than any conversion cost. A Savage would likely out shoot the conversion also.

DEP

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I don't think that the action/receiver of the Enfield can withstand prolonged firing of the much high pressures generated by the Creedmore cartridge. It's true that the P14 may be able to but not the others. You don't make mention of the type of British 303 action you're working with so it may very well be that my assumptions are off base.

Regardless of the action type, such a re-chambering is doable but, there are potential safety concerns at work here. Be careful.

HollowPoint

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The 6mm Creedmoore uses the .473" headsize of the 30/06 cartridges. The 303 Brit bolt face would need to be reduced.

The Creedmoore was designed for 308 length magazine.
    All you would have to do for the correct bolt face is get one for a Isaphore 7.62 NATO. Probably could cobble up a working magazine from the Isaphore too.

Any P Enfield is way too long and way to heavy for a 6.5 CM. By the time you rework the action and BBl. it you could buy a Savage that are only $299 with current rebate.

Any SMLE would be pushing it and a really clunky rifle to boot.

Why so many threads proposing useless/dangerous/ugly conversions ?

Reminds me if the "back in the day" guys who would take a pristine Low Wall 22 short rifle and bubba it up to 22 Hornet, then be surprised when the soft steel barrel was destroyed after 2 boxes of ammo.

Maybe I should take my pristine Ithaca Cannon Breech ten bore SXS and rechamber it to 3&1/2" shells ? Betcha if I started a thread with that topics it would get posts other than: " You're an idiot!"

I have a mk11, its in the back of the safe. It was sportster ized when it was given to me. I put a pad on the stock and put a scope on it I don't use it. I shot the gun many years ago, Kicked like a mule that's why I put A PAD ON IT. I was looking for a reason to use it. I like shooting 6mm bullets they don't kick and I have Richard Corbin dies in 6mm. Thanks for the help on all the different post I've done on this.
    I'm going to start a new post soon, I will leave the 303 in the safe for now.
    I'm looking at to books I have, Cartridges of the world 14th edition and Ammo Encyclopedia 5th edition.
    I'm going the make or get a 6x45 and I was thinking about a RPR in 6mm Creedmoor It would be a fun gun to have and or 223 and put a 6mm barrel on it. I want to shoot light bullets I've posted this before, I will post more after Christmas. I will be able to afford them then.

mk11 ???? SMLE MK I or III or No. 1 Mk V or Rifle No. 4 or No. 5 Mk 1 ????

Regardless, the only really nasty one with issue ammo is the No. 5 "jungle carbine"

All are fine with reasonable cast boolits.

Modern design stocks are made in wood and synthetic to tame the recoil.

If you want to build a 6.5 on your SMLE, there is a 6.5-303 wildcat. https://www.shootersforum.com/wildca...3-british.html

So you could spend around $400 (plus the value of your SMLE) and have a rifle that could duplicate M96 6.5x55 loads (and have zero resale) ----- OR,

you could buy The Savage DOA hunter pkg for $500, get the $100 rebate, sell the scope for $75 and have a good 6.5 CM for $325. (and still have your Smelly !)

I'd not struggle with that choice.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy C View Post
    I have a mk11, its in the back of the safe. It was sportster ized when it was given to me. I put a pad on the stock and put a scope on it I don't use it. I shot the gun many years ago, Kicked like a mule that's why I put A PAD ON IT. I was looking for a reason to use it. I like shooting 6mm bullets they don't kick and I have Richard Corbin dies in 6mm. Thanks for the help on all the different post I've done on this.
    I'm going to start a new post soon, I will leave the 303 in the safe for now.
    I'm looking at to books I have, Cartridges of the world 14th edition and Ammo Encyclopedia 5th edition.
    I'm going the make or get a 6x45 and I was thinking about a RPR in 6mm Creedmoor It would be a fun gun to have and or 223 and put a 6mm barrel on it. I want to shoot light bullets I've posted this before, I will post more after Christmas. I will be able to afford them then.
    Hi Randy:

If you have your heart set on a 6mm of some sort I have heard of guy necking down a 303 British cartridge to 6mm. If you did this then you wouldn't have near as much possibility of pressure problems; and you wouldn't need to modify existing components other than re-barreling and re-chambering.

I necked down my Enfield chamber to a true 308 bore when I re-barreled it. Granted it wasn't much of a change but I could have gone even smaller than that if I'd cared to. I hope that none of my comments have dissuaded you from attaining what you originally dreamed of with your Enfield project. That wasn't my intent. I hate it when well meaning folks do that to me and my project. I hate it even more when I find myself doing the same to others.

HollowPoint

must be a MK 111

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hunting002.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	209159 The gun don't have a street value like it is this was done in the 70s

HollowPoint

HollowPoint I think you did the right thing it would be easier to make a 308 out of it, and I could give it to the boy. He's shooting a 243 now. I gave them a custom 270 on a mauser action a few weeks ago, it needs refinished but its a tack shooter. My Dad and his Brother used it for deer and elk back in the 60s Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0812.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	209162 I learn a little from everybody on here, I'm flexible. I don't want a cartride that I don't know reloading data on There is plenty on the ones I'm looking at. There is a lot of reload data on 6x45, 308 and the other 6mm calibers I considering. I'm not considering a 6.5 right now.
    Last edited by Randy C; 12-09-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Randy C. +1 for the 6x45. Almost no recoil, uses very little powder and is very accurate. With all the AR guys, you can pick up all the brass you would ever need at most ranges. It is simple to load--great caliber.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast