Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Avocado oil

Avocado oil

has anyone tried avocado oil in their lube? I read somewhere avocado oil/Soywax/lanolin was used, anyone tried this?

Boolit Master
    This is shown to be a black powder lube. I have used Soy Wax and Olive oil blends.

70% Soywax
    20% Avocado oil
    10% lanolin
    ......................this is good for cooler weather, spring/fall

Boolit Man
    I put a teaspoon in my coffee every morning with a tablespoon of kerrygold irish butter it keeps me regular and i havent noticed any leading.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wl620 View Post
    I put a teaspoon in my coffee every morning with a tablespoon of kerrygold irish butter it keeps me regular and i havent noticed any leading.
    Hmmmmmmmm................
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

great information

Boolit Man
    Wow sorry if i killed your thread i was just joking about the leading part, maybe i shoulda put one of them little yellow smileys with that.

I have used it for cooking. Unlike Olive Oil, you can fry with it. It works just fine, but we had too throw away the last 1/4 of the bottle as it started to thicken and get a little rancid. I don't know what this says about it's use in bullet lube.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by wl620 View Post
    Wow sorry if i killed your thread i was just joking about the leading part, maybe i shoulda put one of them little yellow smileys with that.
    I thought it was funny. But then I'm the kind of guy who tells people that I use a bit of Preparation H in my boolit lube...it tightens swollen groups by up to 25% ya know.

Back to avocado oil: I think avocado oil tolerates high temperatures better than most vegetable type oils, which is why cooks like it. This property could be useful in hot weather when firing at a rate high enough to get the barrel really hot. As for going rancid, this is a problem with a lot of fats, whether from plants or animals. However, I'm not sure if it is really much of a factor when mixed in fairly low percentages with waxes and petroleum lubricants. I have some home made lube on hand that is over a decade old with vegetable oil (hempseed oil and castor oil to be precise) in the mix and it doesn't seem to be going rancid. But it is only a few ounces mixed with a pound and a half of waxes and other stuff like Lucas automotive grease, ATF, and other stuff that I don't remember. I don't know whether diluting it prevents rancidity or whether some of the other stuff creates an environment inhospitable to the bacteria that causes fats to go rancid.