Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Magazine adaptation

Magazine adaptation

On the left is an Officers model mag I modified to function in my Ballester or a Govt model, a 1911 mag, a 1911 mag I modified to fit a P97 Ruger, the factory mag for it. They still work in the home gun also. Forgive the barnyard gunsmithing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Doesn’t matter how you did it, it’s of it works.

I too have adapted magazines, to oddest would be a 72 round Suomi drum to a 9mm AR.

Boolit Master
    Okay I need details on the Suomi mag conversion!!!

That is cool, jmorris. Trivia; a P38 mag will fit &work in an Astra model 600 9mmP. It just doesn't look right in there.

The fun history of gun makers is lots of times the magazine was adapted for their new gun from an existing gun design because making a good magazine design is a PITA.

Look at the Colt AR15 9mm magazine - now look at the UZI magazine - only difference is the catch location - now look at the Beretta Model 1938 magazine - yep same mag again.

Take a look at that P38 magazine you stuffed into that Astra Model 600 - now look at a SIG 225 magazine, the 225 is the same just a little longer with catch location on the side.

Lots of makers magazines can be made from other makers - Beretta M9 mag's can be modified to fit Taurus 92/99's

Bill Ruger's standard 22LR magazine for the Mk 1 & Mk 2 pistol were copied from High Standard magazine's.
    Last edited by Artful; 12-08-2017 at 11:44 AM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Okay I need details on the Suomi mag conversion!!!
    It’s just a Suomi mag and a Colt mag welded together at just the right angles to work. If you don’t have way too much time on your hands and already know how to TIG weld very thin materials, just buy a beta mag.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    The fun history of gun makers is lots of times the magazine was adapted for their new gun from an existing gun design because making a good magazine design is a PITA.

Look at the Colt AR15 9mm magazine - now look at the UZI magazine - only difference is the catch location - now look at the Beretta Model 1938 magazine - yep same mag again.

Take a look at that P38 magazine you stuffed into that Astra Model 600 - now look at a SIG 225 magazine, the 225 is the same just a little longer with catch location on the side.

Lots of makers magazines can be made from other makers - Beretta M9 mag's can be modified to fit Taurus 92.
    Is it true the Beretta 92 magazine can be used in the Browning High Power?

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

i have not done it but I am told it is possible to mod M9,92FS and SIG 226 and for the Ruger P85
    and Hi Power

but not the other way around due to shorter length of hi power mags

S&W Model 59 magazines may also be modified to function in a Browning HP.
    Last edited by Artful; 12-15-2017 at 06:48 PM.
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

OK, somebody show pics of the Beretta 92 to Browning conversion !

Do a little googling

Last edited by Artful; 12-16-2017 at 12:06 AM.
    je suis charlie

Boolit Buddy
    This is a neat thread. May be we need another thread with input from everyone who has been successful with making mags work. I have a Winchester Mod. 77 that I have been trying for a year to get to work, it refuses to feed properly. I have two original mags that jam 22 shells in about a 45 degree angle and I don't have a clue why. Both mags do the same thing. So a thread with a bunch of ideas on how to make them work would be a really great thread. The toolman.

JMToolman -start a new thread and post a picture of your magazine with rounds loaded but out of the gun and then a picture of the magazine in the gun with angle of camera to show chamber and I'll see what I can do for you.
    je suis charlie

Moderator Emeritus

One quick thing to check... I have seen people take a mag apart to clean it and then put the follower spring in backwards so the nose either drops or goes to high when loading...

Quote Originally Posted by JMtoolman View Post
    This is a neat thread. May be we need another thread with input from everyone who has been successful with making mags work. I have a Winchester Mod. 77 that I have been trying for a year to get to work, it refuses to feed properly. I have two original mags that jam 22 shells in about a 45 degree angle and I don't have a clue why. Both mags do the same thing. So a thread with a bunch of ideas on how to make them work would be a really great thread. The toolman.

I've seen (And done) that before, Mary.