RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ordered my Christmas Present today

Boolit Grand Master

Ordered my Christmas Present today

After thinking it over and researching it. Looking over the offerings and mulling it over for awhile. I ordered my Christmas present today. A Henery Original Iron Frame in 44-40 with 24" barrel. I'm looking forward to getting it. Local Gun Shop said 7-10 days for it. I had considered the brass framed model but liked the case hardened receiver better. I have a set of 44-40 dies but need to order brass and some starter bullets in the 200-220 grn range and a bullet mould. Planning on original loadings of Black Powder. Looks like 38-39 grns of 3F Olde Ensforde from Goexs site. Should be a lot of fun.

Very nice! Looks like you're well on the way to having a great Christmas.

Moderator Emeritus

My Buddy has a Marlin in 44-40, he loves that gun.

I loaded some ammo for his gun. I used the Lee 429-200-RF boolits and my SL68B lube, pushed with Unique. But that boolit has small lube grooves that are probably not adequate for BP shooting?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I am so jealous that is on my list maybe in Feburary

Boolit Grand Master

Ive been eyeing this since last spring thinking and drooling. Ive got cases pieces parts and 2 different bullets coming now.

Boolit Grand Master

If you are gonna put that much powder in the case you WILL need a compression die, especially if you are casting your boolits of 30-1. Believe me, I do it routinely. No room for a over powder wad, either.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

I will be making a compression die in a few days for it. That was what Goex site gave for a charge. when the brass and bullets get here Ill find a no compression charge and work up from there with the chronograph and targets telling me what is going on. Will be an interesting work up and testing with the smaller case. I have loaded 45-90, 45-70, 40-65, and 38-55 BP loads that shoot very well out to 500 yds.

Boolit Master

Don't forget to post some pitchers when you get it.

Boolit Master
    Ive looked longingly at that model at Gun Shows for years, but I simply have no more room in the safe. Hope to get the full-bore Virtual Cyber Ownership experience reading your adventures with yours.

I’ve heard that a leather glove for your left hand is an indispensable accessory.

Boolit Grand Master

Bent Ramrod. I wear a doeskin leather glove on my off hand when shooting the sharps and others now ( cushions the pulse from fingertips and aids follow thru). I'm looking forward to this new addition to my collection of early cartridge guns. First repeater and first lever action ( other than a couple 22s). I started with hunting rifles and shotguns went to handguns ( bowling pins and ISPC) then NRA High power rifle, shot an M1a garand and was converting to ARs when the MS forced me to quit. I currently have a Pedersoli Sharps (45-70) C Sharps Hepburn ( 45-90) CPA shillouette model ( 40-65) C Sharps High wall ( 38-55) And a BRC Sharps brochardt ( 45-70) I'm loading for, SO far none of these have seen any smokeless powder only Black powder. Its been an adventure with these rifles finding out what a 9-10 years old boy knew in the 1870s again. So much of that data and info was lost due to the times ( most didn't read or write or make notes like today)

Boolit Grand Master

THe other thing to "learn" with this rifle is repositioning the offhand to allow the cartridge follower to pass. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    After thinking it over and researching it. Looking over the offerings and mulling it over for awhile. I ordered my Christmas present today. A Henery Original Iron Frame in 44-40 with 24" barrel. I'm looking forward to getting it. Local Gun Shop said 7-10 days for it. I had considered the brass framed model but liked the case hardened receiver better. I have a set of 44-40 dies but need to order brass and some starter bullets in the 200-220 grn range and a bullet mould. Planning on original loadings of Black Powder. Looks like 38-39 grns of 3F Olde Ensforde from Goexs site. Should be a lot of fun.
    You will really like your Iron Henry !!! I have one and BP with a 200grRN works very well !!! I put a tang sight on it and she does the 760yd Buffalo just fine !!!!!!
    Ol Deuce
    Last edited by OlDeuce; 12-09-2017 at 09:12 PM.
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Grand Master

OlDeuce, Might I inquire as to your load data is? A starting point will be greatly appreciated as there isn't a lot of BP Data available any more. LOL

Boolit Master
    Looks like a fine rifle, I am holding out for an Improved Henery if they ever make one.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    OlDeuce, Might I inquire as to your load data is? A starting point will be greatly appreciated as there isn't a lot of BP Data available any more. LOL
    Gent.....I'm using 30.6gr fffg GOEX with a 209grRN cast 1 This gives me almost a 1/16'' crush.. My Iron Henry is a 1 of1000 24 1/4'' barreled Uberti !! The other
    load that I use is 7.2gr of Unique ! I like the BP better! the boom,the smoke , if feels like I'm back in the 1860s LoL....I've had this Henry for ? 25 years!
    she looks as good as if I got it yesterday !!!

Ol Deuce

Boolit Grand Master

Got my bullets today from Baco. 50 of the 210 grn roundnose flat point and 50 of the 222 grn hollow based roundnose flat point. These will be the first 2 bullets I test in the Henery Original. The Hollow based looks interesting as it has a big flat. I'm still waiting on brass and some other things for this project.

Boolit Buddy

I got some brass, not sure how much, but it's yours for the shipping if you want it couple boxes of 50 I think!
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Boolit Grand Master

I started working on the compression stem today. Will finish it tomorrow. Things are coming together nicely.

Keep us posted for sure !!!!! Ol Deuce

Boolit Grand Master

Been trimming brass to square it up and deburring chamfering it. started with a batch of 500 starline 45-70 since the trimmer was set up for it already. Now working thru the 44-40. I'm debating on deburring the flash hoes as all ive looked at are clean. Also not sure if I need to anneal this brass for BP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast