RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ordered my Christmas Present today

You shouldn't need to anneal the first go around with new brass ! When I did my 44-40 I fire formed the first cases to the chamber and then loaded the black...
    The cases are still working good after all these years!!! I keep the BP cases separate from the smokeless . Why I don't really know but has worked out well!!

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Grand Master

Went to pick up the rifle today. Got there and all the forms filled out. Shop wasn't to busy for a change. Lady ahead of me ( we were filling out the 4473s at the same time) instant check went thru. I did a little shopping looking around and The instant check went down before mine went thru. The phone in number wouldn't allow entry and the computer system would load up. SO now I'm waiting on a phone call to let me know its through. Did get to see the rifle though and its got a nice piece of walnut for the buttstock finished and fitted very nicely. Bluing is nice deep nd dark case hardened receiver and lever are nicely done and pretty defined in the colors. Rear ladder sight is graduated to "7" and folds up or down easily and securely with no wobble or shake. Its a very nice looking rifle. Action is glass smooth with no ammo in it. Trigger pull feels to be about 4 lbs. I'm hoping to pick it up tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Went to pick up the rifle today. Got there and all the forms filled out. Shop wasn't to busy for a change. Lady ahead of me ( we were filling out the 4473s at the same time) instant check went thru. I did a little shopping looking around and The instant check went down before mine went thru. The phone in number wouldn't allow entry and the computer system would load up. SO now I'm waiting on a phone call to let me know its through. Did get to see the rifle though and its got a nice piece of walnut for the buttstock finished and fitted very nicely. Bluing is nice deep nd dark case hardened receiver and lever are nicely done and pretty defined in the colors. Rear ladder sight is graduated to "7" and folds up or down easily and securely with no wobble or shake. Its a very nice looking rifle. Action is glass smooth with no ammo in it. Trigger pull feels to be about 4 lbs. I'm hoping to pick it up tomorrow.
    This is way cool!! You need to post some good pictures of this girl!! she sounds like a nice one for sure!!

Ol Deuce

Boolit Grand Master

Well the shop called about 5:30 to tell me they got the proceed with transaction finally. We got to the shop about 10:30 11:00. I'm hoping we can make a quick trip tomorrow and pick it up. Then to size brass to fit it and get some ammo ready.

Boolit Grand Master

Oh and not a promotion but you members in or near Northwest Ohio here is a little something. Clelands Sports world on Airport Highway has a 73 Winchesters in 38 wcf that's been nicely redone its almost like new. And a Very claen Marlin in 38 wcf that's clean and nice looking.

Boolit Grand Master

I have the Henry home now. Ive figured out the release on the loading tube release and have it down. I thought id try feeding so sized cases thru it and found out that wouldn't work so had to work it out of the action back into the tube and then out of the rifle. I ran a couple patches down the bore first one was damp with clp and came out really dirty, the next 2 not so bad. Wiped out side down and got some dirt and crud there. Its a slick handling rifle. Tomorrow I will load up 5 dummy rounds to test thru it. Its a good looking rifle and feels good with the 24 1/2" barel. Also lubed the action and other moving parts. It is a slick action with a fairly short lever throw.

Gent.......... how about some Pictures of her ??? LoL Ol Deuce

Boolit Grand Master

I now have the die set set to my RCBS summit press and 5 dummy rounds to play with. This original henry Is fussy on cartridge length. a little to long and the crrier wont raise a little to short and the next cartridges rim catches binding it up. But even with rounds in it its scarry smooth. New its very smooth a few hundred rounds and it will almost cycle itself probably.

Boolit Grand Master

Ive got some cases sized and working belling them. Had to adjust the belling stem a little bigger as tension was pretty heavy. Also had to radious the sizing dies mouth a little more as cases were catching on the opening a little.

After sizing my brass I made a tool to open the mouth and it works well !!

Ol Deuce

Boolit Grand Master

I just finished 40 rounds of 44-40 ammo. Starline brass trimmed, deburred and chamfered, flash holes deburred. Full length resized ( since it is new brass). Necks expanded and belled. 33.7 grns Olde Ensforde 2F powder. .020 wad tracing paper wad compressed to allow bullet to seat to depth. 210 grn rnfp bullet cast from 20-1 and lubed with SPG. Se how this does in the new rifle. I have .060 thk and .030 thk Napa rubber fiber gasket material to try for the base wads in future loads. Next bullet is a 222 grn HB RNFP. I'm curious to see how these perform.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I just finished 40 rounds of 44-40 ammo. Starline brass trimmed, deburred and chamfered, flash holes deburred. Full length resized ( since it is new brass). Necks expanded and belled. 33.7 grns Olde Ensforde 2F powder. .020 wad tracing paper wad compressed to allow bullet to seat to depth. 210 grn rnfp bullet cast from 20-1 and lubed with SPG. Se how this does in the new rifle. I have .060 thk and .030 thk Napa rubber fiber gasket material to try for the base wads in future loads. Next bullet is a 222 grn HB RNFP. I'm curious to see how these perform.
    You might keep in mind the link action in your Henry !! I've always though the heavier bullet was the way to fly ! A local shooter put the Bolt in his eye on
    his repo '66 ....I really enjoy shooting my Henry But no intentions of Big Game with her ! Cool Rifle no matter how ya look at her!!!

Ol Deuce

The rubber gasket matereial has left some very foul, brown tar in my Shiloh. Plain cardboard tablet back or poster board will work better but a wad is hardly needed for pistol caliber.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12