RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything

Thread: WTB-338-06 proper head stamp brass

WTB-338-06 proper head stamp brass

Dear friend just purchased a 338-06 rifle (purported to be standard 338-06, not AI or AS,) and is having fits trying to find brass with the proper head stamp...

OOPS... I just learned that the 'standard 338-06 IS the A-Square version... as the dude who owned A-Square SAMMI standardized the ctrg wildcat and did all the paperwork so now the "standard" 338-06 is indeed A-Square 338-06

Once fired is fine. I'd be doing the buying providing the MO (don't do paypal) with a shipping address... NEW Norma is running $1.70 ea per box of 20, so it'd have to be less per case then that unless also norma then that'd be max...

I've recommended forming it from 35 Whelen or 30 06, but he'd rather have proper headstamp...

Anyone?

Thanks, Dave aka Rompin Ruger
    Last edited by Rompin Ruger; 12-07-2017 at 06:27 PM. Reason: clarified the AI vs. AS designation...

Boolit Master
    how many?

TMT, sent you a reply PM... thanks for your inquiry!

the standard .338-06 is not the same as the .338-06 A-Square , the a-square brass will not fit in a chamber of the old wild cat standard .338-06,

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    Uh wrong. 338-06 is a SAMMI spec cartridge. A-Square brass fits perfectly.

Before it was SAMMIED there was no "standard" 338-06 as by definition a "wildcat" is whatever the guy who makes the reamer turn out.

I'll pass both comments along...thanks...

Boolit Buddy

I know it’s not what you ask for but Midsouthshooterssupply has them for about $1.46 before shipping if you buy a 100 count. I bought from them two 25 count boxes when it was on sale.
    USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.
    CW3 USAR - 919A "Maintenance is our Passion"

Thanks, PSGT, sent you a PM..He'd found that site and thought they were all B/O but I just checked and they had the 25 and 100 in stock...supposedly. Sent him a note!

As for the 2 great comments on the fit of Wildcat vs. SAMMI A Square 338-06. the gun he bought is post the era when A square standardized the SAMMI specs on 338-06 so he's pretty confident it's the A-Sq version, but those are great insights/comments thank you!

In Remembrance

About the only real reason to having the correct headstamped brass is if this person was taking it to a foreign country where they are sticky about the ammo matching the rifle name/caliber. I once took gun writer Chub Eastman to task about having incorrect case dimensions for the case in a Speer or Nosler load manual as I recall I got a nice letter back from him saying he was ready for the `20 lashes with a wet noodle` punishment for that slip. Just take a .30-06 case and run it up into a .338-06 sizer die and VIOLA a .338-06 case was just born. Jamison brass used to offer this case, I hear that they have shut their doors though. For my .338-06 I have found that a cast boolet of about 225-250 gr. works best and a `j` 200-215 gr. works best in my P 1917 sportered Enfield.Robert

HCT, That's what I told him (my associate, like a brother) but he's learning fast it's hard to find and pricey...in correct head stamp...I know his reasons seem sound to him living where he does, but I think he's jousting windmills. He'll make the right choice...

End of week and his biz is crazy but been sharing the many PM's and comments here with him...

Boolit Bub
    Midway and Graf's both have correct headstamped brass ,not cheap ,a little pricery . I use 35 whelen brass necked down for my 338-06 ,have not had any trouble doing this .

All good stuff and I thank you all for sharing... brother/buddy is playing "dad" this weekend and has his kid for the weekend with 4 hrs of driving between his and the kid's location 2x till Sun.

I likely won't hear much, but he too, RCA was thinking of necking down vs. up as easier to do...I necked down 30-30 to 7-30 Waters pretty simply... I dunno... Whelan ain't cheap compared to 06... but hey, it's all in his court now.

Thanks to one and all!

Just heard from the chap...he's intending to buy some proper head stamp cases simply because he's most comfy that way... then have the chamber checked for Head Space and for the actual reamer used...

Thanks to everyone for your input...leaned a lot!