MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Lee 312-160

Boolit Master

Lee 312-160

I recently got this mould since my ranch dog mould for 30-30 won't chamber from the magazine of my 30-40 Krag.

I've cast some really nice boolits with it, but on measuring them I see that the only
    part that measures .312 is the ring above the gas check. Above that are lube grooves
    that measure .310.

Is this boolit meant to seat into brass for 30-06, 30-40 Krag and the like to just past
    this first .312 ring?

I generally size my 30-30 boolits at .3105, but I got this mould for the rifles that feed
    from left and right of the magazine (i.e. 30-06, 30-40 Krag).

I'd like to have comments. I plan to size and check as usual and try them out.

Tks.

Boolit Master

I think it will work just fine. I use this bullet sized .311 in my 300 blackout and it shoots and feed fine. I size at .311 because that is the sizer I have. I would think that if you have a sizer that sizes to .310 it will work just fine.

Ken

Boolit Buddy
    I have Lee 312-155 6 cavity mold which I use for my 300 Blackout but if I remember correctly my mold drops undersized boolits too. After reading many posts that was exactly the reason I got that mold and not a true .308 one. These molds make great boolits for .308 guns but i wouldnt count on a true .312 from it. From what I remember they drop around .309 but since I powder coat and size back down to .3085 they work fine for me.
    Couple things to consider :
    1. Boolits grow in size as they age so your .311 or whatever you got there might be a .312 in two or three weeks after they age (I size right after cast / PC but wait at least a week to load)
    2. Add more lino to your alloy. Harder lead makes larger boolits. I made some of these from alloy close to lino and I always water quench these so when said and done I could barely size those suckers. Those were def larger then usual and probably very close to .312 in size. Very hard too over 20bhn
    3. Powder coat those suckers
    4. Lap / beagle your mold.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the replies, Marek and Skeet.