Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paco Kelly Acu'Rzr... Who's using them?

Boolit Master

Paco Kelly Acu'Rzr... Who's using them?

How many of you guys are using the Paco Kelly tool for your .22RF? I've used the single round model, but was wondering if anyone has experience with the 3 and 4 hole models.

Do they speed up the process a lot?

I never had a chance to test them on game, but in using them with a hammer, I got good results.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Boolit Grand Master

I use a Paco 2 hole AcuRzr. It sizes to 2 different sizes. Last I knew the 3 and 4 hole models aren't for speeding up production but were for additional sizes. I use the tool with an arbor press in lieu of a mallet.

I also use a Waltz die in a Lee hand press.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Moderator Emeritus

Arisaka99, I have the 4 hole model and Larry is correct, it just gives you 4 different size options. You still just size one bullet at a time. The sizes are .223", 224", 225", and .226". I have quite a few .22 rimfires, rifles, pistols, revolvers, and I haven't found any so far that needed anything larger than the .223-.224" Treetop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Grand Master

Chris, I've got both of them in the gun room. That's all four sizes. Next time you are down stop by.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I've used the paco tool for over a decade with excellent results. Mine's a 2 hole .223 & .224, typically I use the .224 to make hunting ammo.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Those bullets pictured above hit hard, real hard. Taken many a groundhog with them along with other vermin.

I use the .223 hole to resize target ammo for a couple of target pistols I use/shoot that have extremely tight chambers.

I also own/use a waltz die (.225) on mid-grade match ammo for 3 different sporter rifles I use for silhouettes. The eps profile nose does well on steel.

Boolit Master
    SDI have the single hole tool, but somehow have never built up the gumption to use it.

I always thought that putting a round in the tool and whacking it with a hammer would make a grenade out of it.

Reading y'all's results is encouraging. Especially now that 22rf is available again.

Just ordered a good looking K22 that another member here graciously helped us pick out and now is a good time to try the tool for the revolver.

Super Moderator

Are the Paco-Kelly tools still available for purchase? I have an Old Model Single Six that I believe might benefit from a .224 sized bullet.

Boolit Master
    I've used the Paco Kelly tool to improve the accuracy of a non match chambered .22 contender barrel, and to improve the killing power of the CCI SV ammo that I like to use through it. It does a convincing job anchoring squirrels.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Are the Paco-Kelly tools still available for purchase? I have an Old Model Single Six that I believe might benefit from a .224 sized bullet.
    http://www.pacotools.com/tool_discriptions

Here's his website.

Should still be able to buy them from the looks of it.
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Boolit Buddy
    I have the 4 hole model, but most of the time the .224 hole gives the best ammo for my guns. the hollow point tool used on factory hollow points gives a varmint like load for the rimfire. I also like the cup point for punching paper. you just have to play with it with each gun you use. some ammo it makes it worse and some better and some a lot better. No way to predict the outcome that I have found. I would highly recommend it.
    Tony

A few years ago I did an extensive study on accurizing bulk ammo, (over 1000 rounds tested), but I used a home brew Waltz type tool. The Paco tool just doesn't look very repeatable to me. It made a large difference to Thunderbolts and some others, did nothing but harm to higher quality stuff like Wolf Match and Lapua. I sized to .2250. Anything less just leaves the bullet rattling around in all but the very tightest match chambers.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I use the waltz tool for ammo for bolt action rifles. The tool does seem to increase the accuracy of the ammo. I sort the rounds based on weight before using the tool. The weight sorting is also a good practice for better groups. The sized ammo some times will not feed properly in a 10/22 rifle.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    10/22’s don’t feed well if the nose is too big/flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Zombie thread!!!!!!

Has anyone noticed an improvement in accuracy with Paco's Tool with a Ruger Single Six? I have had four of the **** things and could get them to shoot worth a **** unless using 22mag.

The 22lr's would not group, so was thinking the larger diameter bore has something to due with it. And maybe bumping up the bullets would help.

Lefty

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Gage the throats in your .22LR cylinder. That may be where your trouble lies. Ruger is notorious for throats that are too small, too big, and just right, all in the same cylinder. Your bullet has to fit the throat or accuracy will suffer. If throats are large, bumping will definitely help. If there's big ones and small ones, reaming to one uniform size will help. Then bump your bullets to that size.

Only way to accurately gage throats is gage pins. Grade Z pins from www.gageshop.com will do fine.
    Cognitive Dissident

Back in 2014 I was investigating some things to accurize an older .22lr and just could get an answer back on the Paco Kelly tool, so I made my own. I found C&H had the 22lr shell holder and the seater die, made different tips to "bump" the bullets, the hollow points were impressive, and the cup points did one heck of a job on potatoes, but you still cant make Eley quality out of bulk......
    Attachment 211471
    Attachment 211472
    Attachment 211473
    Attachment 211474

Pete

Boolit Grand Master

"you still cant make Eley quality out of bulk......"

No you can't.....but you can improve the accuracy of many "bulk" 22LRs and some you can't. I find the best 22LR to improve accuracy wise are CCI Blazers. The Winchester and Federal HS 32gr HPs also improve accuracy wise. That is from several rifles including two 10/22s and an AR 15 with 12" twist and M261 device.

What both the Paco and Waltze tools do to most 22LR is to greatly improve the terminal effectiveness. The cup point is very lethal but reshaping the HP, enlarging the HP and swaging the bullet to .225 makes a great difference in lethality. HP/cupping the high end match such as Ely really makes them super deadly on small game and vermin.

Picture is of different amount of HPing that can be done.

Attachment 211513
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    Zombie thread!!!!!!

Has anyone noticed an improvement in accuracy with Paco's Tool with a Ruger Single Six? I have had four of the **** things and could get them to shoot worth a **** unless using 22mag.

The 22lr's would not group, so was thinking the larger diameter bore has something to due with it. And maybe bumping up the bullets would help.

Lefty

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The convertible single sixes all have large bores to accommodate the magnum. Try testing the bore diameter of your .22 guns using the shank of 7/32 drill bit as a "go-no go" gauge. I found that the single six had the largest bore of any .22 out of a dozen or so that I own. An NAA mini revolver also had a similar diameter bore to accommodate the magnums though the revolver is LR only. Saves money on tooling I guess.

The 7/32 drill bit approach might at least give you an estimate of bore size. I find using a bit to check bores of used .22 I run across to be handy. I've found a few with horribly worn (but not obvious) bores doing a plunk test with the shank of a drill bit.

Boolit Grand Master

Correct. 22LR bores are .222". 22 Mag. bores are .224". Some of the very early Single Six convertibles had .222" bores but other than the very early ones the convertibles use the oversize .224 bore.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by dg31872 View Post
    SDI have the single hole tool, but somehow have never built up the gumption to use it.

I always thought that putting a round in the tool and whacking it with a hammer would make a grenade out of it.
    I use a plastic headed hammer, very lightweight. Set the round on a piece of suede for some cushion and reduce noise. Light taps, 2-3 usually. Not playing wack-a-mole! Keep all in a plastic ammo can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast