RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman or lee

Lyman or lee

does anyone know which one has the larger diameter, the lyman dome style hollow base, or the lee drive keys, both 7/8ths and 1oz, preferably 1oz. thanks, oh and do they both work well in smoothbores?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

No experience with them but was looking at picking up a Lee mold. Word on the street seems to be that the 7/8 oz are easier to get decent accuracy out of. Again, I have no personal experience with them however.

Kraken Fan #69

Banned

I haven't owned the Lyman, but have the LEE. As you know the LEE requires a shot power piston (believe they recommend WW) to sabot it. The Lyman on the other hand, if I'm correct, is just a smooth slug with the rifling like Foster rifled slugs and it is sized to fit the shotgun barrel bore. With that said the Lyman would be the larger diameter.

Like said I have the LEE and I get mediocre accuracy out of it in a smootbore and also a smoothbore with rifled choke.

Which Lee are you using? 1 oz or 7/8 oz? I'm running the Lyman 525 gn Sabot. Shoots well out of a smooth bore. Ordered a Russian mold to see if I can improve upon what I'm currently using and was thinking of picking up a Lee 7/8oz too.

I have, issues. you might say...

Kraken Fan #69

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KrakenFan69 View Post
    Which Lee are you using? 1 oz or 7/8 oz? I'm running the Lyman 525 gn Sabot. Shoots well out of a smooth bore. Ordered a Russian mold to see if I can improve upon what I'm currently using and was thinking of picking up a Lee 7/8oz too.

I have, issues. you might say...

Kraken Fan #69
    If you were asking me I was using the 7/8 oz LEE slug.

Boolit Master

I sure have had better experience with the 7/8 lee. Fit for a particular gun is everything though and prolly require several wad combos before you find the magic.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

"the lyman dome style hollow base"

If you mean the Lyman Foster slug don't waste your money on that mould. Even if it shoots okay, which it probably won't, the slug is so thin it just flattens out in a pancake. I guess if all you are doing is punching paper or slapping gongs it doesn't matter much but the Lyman Fosters tend to cast way undersize. My mould casts at 0.705" so way under bore size. If cast from soft lead they bump up but accuracy is horrible.

I'd go with the Lee Drive Key slugs or Lyman sabot slug... or plain old round balls.

YMMV

Longbow

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    If you were asking me I was using the 7/8 oz LEE slug.

I was, thanks.

Kraken Fan #69

I was thinking of gluing the plastic over powder wads that you find in shot loads to the back of a round ball to help with stabilization, as far as the lyman goes, I was talking about their smooth sided domed slug, I haven't seen a mold for a rifled slug in their catalogue. with the roundball load, I was thinking of getting the lee 690 RB mold and using rrubbing compound on a cast ball to get the mold to throw at about 732, or whatever I measure my bore to be ( smooth bore)

Boolit Grand Master

I think you'd be better off to get a Lyman 0.735" ball mould than trying to lap out a 0.690" mould the fit the bore.

You can also get Jeff Tanner moulds in any diameter you want. I don't have any of Jeff's moulds but they are quite affordable and highly thought of by many it seems.

Also, gluing stuff to balls doesn't work so well in my experience. They are round and smooth and when the pressure hits the glue it compresses and shears around that smooth surface.

Best results I've had is to drill the ball then put a short wood screw in so the head sticks out 1/4" or so then slide that into a lubed form and squirt hot melt glue in to make an attached wad slug. The screw keeps the glue wad attached.

For bore diameter these have to be paper patched. Works pretty well for 0.662" or 0.678" balls in should too.

Hardest thing is getting consistent glue skirts without bubbles or uneven base.

Poor man's injection moulding!

Longbow

thanks longbow, I've not heard of jeff tanner, but I saw the 735 rb's in lymans catalogue and they were 92$, too rich for my blood. I will check him out. in your experience, does a plain roundball do well ( in a 28" smoothbore w/cyl choke)? what kind of groups do you get at 50 yards? and with the plastic wad screwed on the back?

do you know how much their 30$ GBD mold turns out to be?

Boolit Grand Master

In my experience 0.735" RB over a hard card wad column with a plastic gas seal over the powder produces pretty consistent 3" to 4" groups at 50 yards for sure and possibly 10 to 20 yards further still being pretty good. By 100 yards it is a different story. Sometimes nice tight groups but more often, there are fliers and some pretty far.

My take is that round balls pick up random spins which get worse with distance causing the "curve ball" effect.

So far I've had excellent results using 0.662" RB's and 0.678" RB's in shotcups (0.662" patched to good fit) and the 0.735" RB's. With good loads all produce groups around 4" or less at 50 yards.

I got best result using a hard card wad column under the 0.735" RB's and for the 0.662" and 0.678" RB's a 16 or 20 ga. nitro card wad or two in the bottom of the shotcup then a small scoop of COW on top, then the ball.

I have not had any success trying to screw wads to the balls... in fact very poor results. The cushion leg collapses and gas leaks around the screw.

I have had pretty good success using round ball drilled for a wood screw, screw into ball with head up about 1/4" then put in a lubed tube form with screw head up then filled with hot melt glue. This makes a not bad AQ clone but getting consistent tail wads is the trick. I've had some that shot very well but often there are bubbles or trailing edges are a little rough then they do not fly so well. This is with 0.662" or 0.678" RB's and for use in shotcups.

Unfortunately, Lee doesn't make 0.662". 0.678" or 0.735" RB moulds. They do make a 0.690" RB mould but that is one I have failed with. Too small naked and too large for shotcups I can find. I always get pinched petals and poor accuracy with 0.690" RB's. Some have had success and BPI publishes 0.690" RB data for use with their shotcup. Haven't tried those.

Donut wads might also work for 0.690" ball and again, I have not tried donut wads. I tend to use the 0.678" balls in shotcups because it is easy and works.

Some have commented on gluing wads to balls but again, my experience is that hot melt glue does not stick well to lead unless the lead is pre-heated. Even then balls have curved surfaces and the pressure of firing causes the glue to extrude around the surface of the ball shearing any bond that may have been. I've seen this with flat base and even hollow base slugs with an extend glue tail wad... the entire glue wad lets go of the hollow cavity and falls out. Put a screw in and you're good.

I'd say to go with the Lee Drive Key slug in 7/8 or 1 oz. as a simple and inexpensive choice. I have not tried the 7/8 oz. slug yet but as you see above, several people say the 7/8 oz. slug is more accurate than the 1 oz. slug. Its hard to go wrong for about $25.00 for a mould that makes slugs to fit shotcups.

Longbow
    Last edited by longbow; 12-10-2017 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Spelling

yeah, I think that might be the simplest way to start with slugs, thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

I'll second the .735" round ball mold, and mine is from JT molds, very good quality and price. 3"-4" is about what I was getting from my smooth bore. I would start with round balls, they are fun. You will be pleasantly surprised, at least for me they have been as accurate as most foster slugs. In rifled barrels they have been even better. I wouldn't mess around with gluing or screwing wads to a round ball.

so longbow, do you mean powder, plastic wad(over powder, not shotcup) hard card column (felt? cardboard?) then ball, star crimp? or roll? and do you shoot the 1oz lee? thanks guys

Boolit Grand Master

Yup! I cut the gas seals off some Pacific Verelite Blue wads for over powder seal (better to buy gas seals if available) then hard card wad column to set the ball at proper height (1/2" hard card wads from BPI) with 1/8" nitro card wads as required then the ball and roll crimp.

I tried plastic gas seal and fibre wads, shotcups with petals cut off and a few other things but the hard card wad column worked best for me.

I have a 1 oz. Lee mould but have not shot it much. I got mediocre results with it but didn't play much. First time out I got approx. 6" groups at 50 yards. I made some tube forms then tried some with hot melt glue tail wads next time and got improved accuracy but still not as good as my round ball loads. That's all I've shot them. My home made slug moulds and round balls did better so I didn't bother with the Lee anymore. I'll try again when I get back to slug shooting (soon I hope!).

I have generally roll crimped slugs.

Don't go shooting a 0.735" RB through anything but cylinder bore or rifled barrel though! It might be okay through improved cylinder but I'd hesitate trying it myself.

I bought a 0.715" ball mould to try in my Browning BPS buck & slug barrel without mic'ing the muzzle first. DOH! It seems to have a tight I/C choke at 0.710". I asked BPI what they thought of wheelweight 0.715" balls through that choke and they said Brownings are tough shotguns... it should be okay. Should be wasn't good enough for me.

One day I'll get an old beater with a choke and see what happens with 0.715" balls and 0.735" balls. Of course it will be tied to a tire and I'll be a ways back with a string to the trigger! If the choke survives a dozen 0.715" balls through it I'll believe it is good. Then I'll try 0.735" balls.

The old Paradox guns apparently squeezed 0.740" slugs down to 0.690" at the lands and they were not much if any thicker barrels than a standard shotgun from what I understand so it may be doable.

Anyway, back to 0.735" RB's... I quit using them because I didn't like making up wad columns and I was a bit concerned that one day one might wind up in a full choked gun. I find the 0.678" RB's in shotcup shoot as well and are easier to load... and are just over an ounce so lots of load data available.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Longbow,
    > I find the 0.678" RB's in shotcup shoot as well and are easier to load.

Could you tell us exactly what shotcup/wad you are using?

I dis-assembled some Walmart 100 pack cheap Fed 7 1/2 shot shells and the 0.678" (actually mine are 0.675") roundballs
    fit well in the shot cup and slid down and out the bore of my gun perfectly, with no stiff restriction.
    The diameter of the ball in cup was 0.730.

However, when I dis-assembled some cheap Rem shells (black plastic, low silver colored metal base, I think #6 or #8, 1 or 1/18 oz.,
    probably cheap chain store promo loads)
    the shotcup had a vertical rib on the inside of each petal and the overall outside diameter of the ball in the cup was so
    big it would not start down the bore when firmly pushed forward from the chamber.

Do you use Win wads/shotcups, Fed 12S3 (pink), or what?

Thanks!
    edp2k

I had good results with Lee 1oz @ 50yards

does the roll crimp last longer than a star crimp with repeated loadings?, also, to me it sounds best to just get a cyl choke and use the 735's, but if you had good results with the 678"RB in a wad that would allow me to use my imp. cyl choke I would think ( because the extra give of the plastic). I also was looking at accurate molds for when I get a rifled slug only barrel, and found the #73-565S design to be appealing, although I think I would have him add a middle rib and a slight dome front, that should bring it up to 600gr. have any of you tried any of the #73 accurate molds in a rifled barrel?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast