Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CVA center fire in 444

Cool CVA center fire in 444

My friend just located and bought himself the CVA in 444 !! He's been shopping for some time now for this rifle !! Now I can give you
    a range report on the performance difference to my 44-56 wc LoL I hope I kick his butt LoL........

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Good luck ol duece, but my money is on the big triple 4.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Good luck ol duece, but my money is on the big triple 4.
    Well I'd put the hard cash on the 444 too but ...............We'll see how his shooting skills are !!! My thompson shoots pretty darn straight right now LoL....
    Ol Deuce

All I know is that the more loads I have worked up for my .444 handi rifle the more I love it.

With a good load, and a decent shooter it will do what it needs to do.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    All I know is that the more loads I have worked up for my .444 handi rifle the more I love it.

With a good load, and a decent shooter it will do what it needs to do.
    This long cartridge .44 is so easy to work with ! What I've found with the right powder it can be a Kitty cat or a Gorilla !,,,,.... The 2400 powder
    is easy to measure , easy to work with ! You can shoot it as a 44 special, than the .44 mag, or the .44 super mag ,or the Gorilla load of the .444!!!
    way Cool !!!! I really like my Contender !!

Ol Deuce

I looked at a CVA yesterday in 7mm-08. I like the light weight and balance, not fond of the opening lever location. At Academy with a scope for $229; seems like a deal to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I looked at a CVA yesterday in 7mm-08. I like the light weight and balance, not fond of the opening lever location. At Academy with a scope for $229; seems like a deal to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    The guys that own them seem tobe Very happy with accuracy & handling ability...........What I like about my single, It seem I take more time with each
    shot and with the lever guns you shoot 2 to 3 times the amount of shells !! single shot rifles definitely have there place !!!!

Ol Deuce

Boolit Bub
    I have a CVA in 44 mag and just love it, the trigger is one of the best right out of the box, the scope mount is also very good and solid. The gun likes 300 grain Beartooth .432 with 19 grains of 2400

Banned
    i have a tc encore with a 24" barrel that is a 444. i have used a 444 in marlin, h&r and another encore(22" barrel). my loads go from 180gr - 300gr cast. i've used rel 7, h4198, h322, imr4198, trail boss, unique, imr 3031, blue dot, win231 and 2400. the 444 is tops in my book!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 500Linebaughbuck View Post
    i have a tc encore with a 24" barrel that is a 444. i have used a 444 in marlin, h&r and another encore(22" barrel). my loads go from 180gr - 300gr cast. i've used rel 7, h4198, h322, imr4198, trail boss, unique, imr 3031, blue dot, win231 and 2400. the 444 is tops in my book!!!
    Your 2400 how did that do over the IMR 3031????? Ol Deuce

Banned
    5 shot group will go around a inch at 100 yards. i use a 280gr lfn gc and 26.0gr of 2400. it will go 1700+/-fps.

5 shot group will go around 1 1/2" at 100 yards. i use a 250gr wfn gc and 48.5gr of imr3031. it will do 1750+/-fps.

my tc encore(22" barrel) really didn't like imr3031 esp the 250gr. i've used up all my 3031 years ago, instead i like the 2400 and i used to like rel 7 and h4198, but now they hurt my shoulder!!!! i haven't used 3031 10 or 12 years ago. it burned a little too slow for me using 200-250gr or so. i would use blue dot and unique for under 250gr.

next time i will use a 310gr lee fn gc and 2400.

5 shot group will go around a inch at 100 yards. i use a 280gr lfn gc and 26.0gr of 2400. it will go 1700+/-fps.

5 shot group will go around 1 1/2" at 100 yards. i use a 250gr wfn gc and 48.5gr of imr3031. it will do 1750+/-fps.

my tc encore(22" barrel) really didn't like imr3031 esp the 250gr. i've used up all my 3031 years ago, instead i like the 2400 and i used to like rel 7 and h4198, but now they hurt my shoulder!!!! i haven't used 3031 10 or 12 years ago. it burned a little too slow for me using 200-250gr or so. i would use blue dot and unique for under 250gr.

next time i will use a 310gr lee fn gc and 2400.
    The 2400 has been doing a really Great job ! I'm down to app. 3lbs and in the conserve mode with that powder!!! AA4100 might be something for me to look into as far as powder in the same burn rate!! the 2400 is cool stuff!!!!

Ol Deuce

She's here and looking Good!! It took a few working days to get the rifle from the Dealer ! the holdup was in the system ! Record sales !!!!!

We'll get this girl warmed up !!!

Ol Deuce

Banned
    way to go!!!

way to go!!!
    Today was the Big Test ! after Christmas dinner we stepped out door and fired 3 test rounds WoW This CVA Is one fine single !!! He shot 1 Remington
    factory round and 2 of my hand loads...the first fired was a hand load of 22gr of 2400 under a 209gr cast boolet.. went well ! the gun fired no issues !
    the second round was the factory 240gr jacket and that really got his attention to say the least... then he fired again a hand load and his mind was made up!
    LoL "ya don't want to shoot tin cans with factory loads they hurt " LoL yes they do and this was the point of this test!! He really didn't understand the power
    of the .444 and now he does ... Point made with a big smile!!
    The .44 cal is such a great round to load up or down way cool !!
    Ok Now this is tough to say ...we compared the CVA to the Thompson Contender , Im my eye the TC is a good looking single the wood ETC.. well the action
    opens so easy compared to the TC...... hands down CVA....trigger pull on my contender is better the CVA is really good But !!! the CVA $350 the TC more
    then twice the price !!!! I have now $1600 with 3 barrels 2 scope .. still a happy camper But ........LOL.....Its all FUN

Ol Deuce

Has anyone used AA1680 in the 44s ???? I did a test today using 26gr under a 209gr RN Primer looked really good ! Did the same test with IMR4227
    the results almost a clone of the A1680 ...........Ol Deuce

Did a few more test fires with the A1680 and than add in a couple firings using LIL'gun!!!!! Trying to find a replacement for that 2400 !! Hmmm

Ol Deuce

Getting this Ol'Girl worked out !!!! as it stands we are going stay with the A1680 powder until this spring ! So far only about 10 rounds down the pipe
    been going between the Contender and the CVA !! So Close in chamber etc. 1:20 twist in both and an 1" difference in barrel length ...CVA being longer

Ol Deuce

You putting any across a chrony? How hard are the boolits your using?

That is a really good looking gun. I think I can see many CVA’s in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by newton View Post
    You putting any across a chrony? How hard are the boolits your using?

That is a really good looking gun. I think I can see many CVA’s in my future.
    Right now it'sway to cold -12 LoL The chrony is going tobe better weather thing ......But following other recipes with the app.fps loads ,the discharge feels
    kinda good ! The lead is old window weights.....and I add a small bit of range mined lead from Yellowstone Rifle Club.. Not soft but not really hard! Our Goal
    is to get as accurate as possible in the 1800fps range ...save our Bodys.....The factory Remington Load burns into steel at 200 yds with the jacket bullet!!! There is way more power there then we really need But it can be loaded up if need be!!!

The loads are a bit hotter than the 44 mag in the 444 case! more like the .445 Supermag ... a Great combo ! but watching the primer. and case !! "safety"
    first !!! The CVA doesn't beat ya up at this velocity...209 to 225 gr lead boolite .

I did pick up on the Lee 310gc FN,, I've shot it in the Contender and it does well over 17.6gr of 2400....!!!

Ol Deuce

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast