Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: Hot glue bullets in a 30-30?

Boolit Bub

Hot glue bullets in a 30-30?

I just read about glue bullets and know that they will work in pistol calibers but what about a 30-30? Will they make it out the barrel of a model 94 win? Do you have to enlarge the primer hole? Does it leave a residue in the bore? If anybody has tried this what were the results and range?

Watching with interest.

Boolit Master
    For your "research" from right here at CB.GL forum:

Seems like this member tried it in a 45-70...
    Gluets range report (hot glue bullets)

Another quite long topic of many pages, with humor in it as well...
    Casting hot glue boolits

G'Luck! & be safe!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned

just cut off a chunk of the 5/16th's stick and seat it in your case neck,
    they come in at 312 already.

it is possible to stick one in your barrel.
    the glue stick being away from the primer will make sure it sticks.[it does in the 30 carbine revolver]
    you'll probably want to use 1-1.5grs of powder in the bigger case. [I would]
    once you get it up and running be careful your gonna want to add more powder.
    1.5gr of powder in the 30 carbine will shoot through a metal garage door and break a headlight cover 10 feet away.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    the glue stick being away from the primer will make sure it sticks.[it does in the 30 carbine revolver]
    you'll probably want to use 1-1.5grs of powder in the bigger case. [I would]
    once you get it up and running be careful your gonna want to add more powder.
    1.5gr of powder in the 30 carbine will shoot through a metal garage door and break a headlight cover 10 feet away.
    I'm NOT going to ask how you know those specifics...
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    HMG CAST boolits work great in my 30-06's, so they will work in your 30-30. I recommend cold casting them with one of your 30 cal molds to get the profile. I have never had any luck on ANY cal just whacking off a hunk and stuffing it in a case.....no accracy at all.

I DO enlarge the primer hole in 38's and 45's and 30's. And use mag primers, sometimes with NO power. Or mabe a grain or so of FAST pistol held back against the primer with a tuft of pillow stuffing/batting.

Works GREAT for simple plinking. Very quite. My high velocity air guns make more noise.

And YESSSSSS.....they WILL go thru a sheet metal garage door!!!!!!!!! Just as runfiverun said!!!!! HA.....ha!

Have not done glue bullets.

Have shot .30 cal buckshot out of 7.62x54r with just primer.

Determined that at 20 feet it would go through one side of a cardboard box and not the other side.
    Which was just fine with me.

Till mamma came storming down the stairs yelling and ready to take my toys away.
    LOL

So I wait till she is out of the house now. Minute of coffee cup was what I was getting, but the balls could be a size bigger.

Boolit Master

30-30, 303, 7.62x39, oh, yeah, lot's of fun! I have learned that you need to stay on the light side of glue bullet weights, as in under a 150 grain boolit mold. The reason is that the gluelits are so light, they have a terrible time stabilizing if over +/- 150 gr mold casts; in other words, a 150 gr mold will cast a 5 gr gluelit. I use standard primers in my guns, which is plenty for across-the-yard or 'get outta my garden!' ranges. By all means, read the 'stickies' mentioned above.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Buddy
    Experimentation is key.

I have been playing with .44 and Federal pistol primers. I had to enlarge the flash hole by as much as I could and the primers still have a tendency to pull out a bit and gumming up the action; on a real bullet the force smacking the bullet against the back keeps them in place.

For my 5.75" BH, shoving the (200 grain mold) gluelet where the nose is flush with the top of the cartridge gave me more power (bullet would stick on a piece of drywall at say 15 feet) but the spread was bigger. Seating the gluelet as if it was a normal boolit lowered the power (bullet would bounce instead of stick) but the spread was smaller. Also on the shallow seating; it looks like if the gluelet got worn (would fit the brass lose) that it would lose a lot of power; seems you need a firm grip for it to develop enough 'omph.

Play with the variables of gluetet size, primer type, and dept of seating (from normal to shoving the gluelet all the way in). I'm even thinking about trying shotgun primers. I'm not interested in power, I'm trying to make them as accurate as possible.