MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox

Thread: Sabot bullet mold

Boolit Buddy

Sabot bullet mold

Looking for recommended molds and designs. Looking for a mold that is slick sided . Casts .453 or .454 so it can be tuned by sizing. Flat base for use in a sabot.
    Nice metplat for terminal performance. Would like a dual cavity the throws a 250 ish grain and 300 ish grain
    Ideas?

Custom order from Accurate
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Find a used Lyman# 445599 for cheap cheap, have it reamed smooth to be slab sided to the length you want and the plug cut off flat.
    Or go really wild and crazy with an adjustable length plug.

For the lighter weight might as well lap a 45 Colt SWC or a Lee TL design.

I paper patch the 255 SWC's for the .458 bore. Been threatenin' to try the Lee TL but haven't yet. Got a RCBS 250 RN around here somewhere to try out also.
    Last edited by Good Cheer; 12-07-2017 at 09:35 AM.

In Remembrance

Most Lee "45 caliber" pistol bullet moulds will cast a .453 to .454 diameter slug with a wheel weight alloy with 2% tin added. If smaller than this it is really easy to lap them out an additional 1/1000th or two. They are cheap enough to have several. The twist rate of your gun's rifling needs to be considered. The 1 in 48" twist often shoots better with shorter bullets. 1 in 28" twist will accommodate the longer, heavier slugs like the Lee .451-300RF. I have found that the gas-check design bullets (minus the gas check) actually shoot more accurately in sabots than ones with a flat base, at least in my "in-line" rifles. The aforementioned Lee 45/300 grain bullet is an excellent performer. I do size then to either .451 or .452 depending on which rifle and sabot combination I am shooting.

Boolit Buddy
    These are for a Savage ML10......
    1 in 24. The lighter weight is for 1 in 28 knight rifles

Sabot bullet mold

I have a thread going on in here with my boolits from a lee .452-255-rf 45 colt mold. I am going to the range today to do more work up with it. I think I paid 45-50 bucks for it new with handles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the Lyman #454190 & Saeco #955 weighing 250-260 gr. and sized .452 for most applications using an MMP Black Sabot.
    Lyman #454616 for the 300 gr. is a good choice also.
    Note: The Savage usually requires a size of .454 for proper engraving for best accuracy.

As mentioned above, Accurate Molds has a large variety of good choices for this boolit style and weights. Worth a look.
    I have several of their moulds.

Jeff

Boolit Buddy
    Curator,
    What alloy are you using?

I usually use my lead that is suspect for other alloys such as Zinc, Iron, Copper. The weight will vary per alloy outcome, so a 255 gr. boolit may weigh closer to 265 gr. with a softer alloy. More of a WW based alloy will be closer to 255 gr. based on Lyman #2 alloy.
    I never use my good alloys & Pb for Sabot use since there's no bore contact with the alloy.

Jeff

Boolit Buddy

KAL tool and die make PP moulds. Design what you need,