Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Springfield 1903 Magazine Cut Off?

Springfield 1903 Magazine Cut Off?

I have a used 1903 customized Springfield that still has the magazine cut off. I'd like to round off the back of the follower, like on a Mauser magazine so I can run the bolt over it. Any problems doing it? I've done it to plenty of Mausers but have no 1903 experience doing this.

Another job is to work on the trigger. The trigger take up is about 3/8", nice and smooth with no step before it breaks. Is it possible to install a screw to take up the slack? It's really smooth. Should I just install a Timney Feather weight with side safety?
    A deplorable that votes!

Banned

No problem with fixing the magazine follower on a 1903 Springfield. Most the ones I've viewed were more of a long ramp rather then round. Either would work. Timney trigger use to have models without the side safety and you can use the Springfield safety unless it doesn't clear a low scope. There is no reason though why you couldn't use the one with the side safety, you just have to inlet the stock for it.

Thanks, it looks like the back of the follower has just the square edge rounded a little.

Do you remove the original stock safety?
    A deplorable that votes!

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    You can buy a "wing" safety that replaces the original.

Google - Mark-II-1903-Springfield-Low-Scope-Safety-Walter-H-Lodewick-Ore-U-S-A

There is no better/safer trigger than a military 2 stage. Polish all engaging and rubbing surfaces on trigger, sear and firing pin. Should get you to 3 pounds or so. You can also substitute a lighter trigger spring.

Almost impossible to have an accidential discharge unlike many single stage triggers.

My 03A4 tribute rifle

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4659.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	209054
    Last edited by HATCH; 12-07-2017 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Removed eBay link. Please no eBay links

Banned

If the original wing safety doesn't clear the scope you can do as Lucifers said. Now if your question is if you use a Timney trigger with side safetly would you remove the original wing safety? NO

Make your rifle does indeed have the milled steel followers, not the 03A3 stamped one, before you go filing or grinding on it.

Boolit Master
    My advice re: the original two-stage pull is to simply get used to it. Once you've mastered it you will automatically take up the slack of the first stage as you settle in for the shot. Easy. And if you're afraid of getting mixed up when jumping back and forth between it and single-stage pull rifles, don't sell yourself short- it's not an issue for a man with his wits about him (which should define anybody who picks up a gun).

OK, there is no 2 stage pull. It has a very long travel or long take up before firing. It's very smooth and is about a 3 lb break. I'd leave it if I could get rid of the very long travel before the trigger breaks. I think the original trigger was filed off. I can not feel where the take up starts or stops, the trigger just breaks. Wondering if I could drill and tap a set screw to take it up. It would stay a single stage. I like 2 stages but, prefer single.
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Master
    sounds like some one took off the first bump and now you have a looong pull single stage. A set screw to shorten distance works.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post

I have a used 1903 customized Springfield that still has the magazine cut off.

Another job is to work on the trigger.

Is it possible to install a screw to take up the slack?

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

A picture says a thousand words!! Thanks Pietro, it looks like just the thing!
    A deplorable that votes!