Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: New old stock S&W model 18.

Boolit Master

New old stock S&W model 18.

I probably shouldn't have, but bought a S&W model 18-3 as new/unfired that came out of an estate sale. The box was slighlty water damaged and some of the paperwork is stained, but the sealed toolkit is there and the pistol is slick, no turn ring and is supposed to be unfired. It looks it.

I have wanted one for a while, and couldn't walk away from this one. Just looked up my serial number and it was made the year I was born. Guess I'll have to keep it for sure now.

There was a second one, an 18-4, with slight rust on heel of backstrap and a couple of other blemishes. It was $100 cheaper, but I opted for the super nice one.

Anyone else have a model 18? I will probably end up shooting this one soon, just because that's what it was made for.

Boolit Master
    I picked up a very nice one a few years back, its the only 18 I have ever seen. I see lots of 17's and 34's, but never 18's for some reason. It sounds like you got a good one

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    These were originally built as police academy trainers for preliminary revolver instruction.

Essentially a K22 with 4" barrel, like a Model 15 in .22LR. A very nice gun. InVG+ to Exc. on Gunbroker theygo for $800 or so, or ANIB for $1000+/-
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I avoided those at first, thinking them a bit too bulky and heavy for a holster 22 revolver. I preferred the Smith Kit Gun or Colt Diamondback, or even a compact auto. However, not too long ago, I ran across a nearly new 5-screw M-18, with that graceful 1950s sculptured hammer. Like many early Smith rimfires, the throats are large, running about 0.228". Sure is pretty, though.

My 1959 6" M-48 in 22 WMR runs 0.2245", plus or minus 0.0001", just perfect. A much later 4" goes 0.2243-4", even tighter. So, they could do it if wanted.

Boolit Master
    Nice score, they are very nice revolvers. I picked up a no dash 18 a few years ago. The gun was in a LGS that I had not visited for quite a while. He said it had been on the shelf for 6 months! It was the first 18 of any vintage I'd seen in near 20 years. You should have bought the other as well as a daily shooter, keep this one for special occasions
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I've one, got it used 20 years ago, great revolver. You will be a very happy with it.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Model 18 that was a trainer for the Texas DPS Academy in its first life. It's blue worn, but mechanically good and it sits on top of the refrigerator loaded with CB caps for suburban "problem solving". It's a great shooter and we have a great time together!
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Boolit Master
    I have a .22 Combat Masterpiece (pre 18), one of my favorite .22s. I have .22 Outdoorsman, K-22s, Model 617, model 41 and a few Rugers but the old Combat Masterpiece has had more range time than all the others combined.

I had 2 model 18s until last fall, gave one to my grandson, still have a excellent one from early
    50s. I have 34s and 17s too. The 18 is a excellent revolver and is easier for most people to shot
    than a 34. I've been into S&Ws for 50+ yrs and have seen lots of 17s & 34s, not as many 18s.
    For some reason lately I have noticed more of them surfacing for sale. Probably because the old
    guys that had them are getting to old to shoot. I don't shoot mine very much anymore because
    I don't like the front sight, getting old myself and the ramp sight is hard for me to get sharp sight
    picture. I always wanted to have a Patridge blade put on it but never got to it.Attachment 209088