WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Still Hunting versus stalk hunting

Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    Still hunting for me is as follows,
    Only walk when other noises cover the noise you are making. Things such as wind, planes, vehicles, crows etc. only a few steps at a time, stop, look and listen. This is the only way I hunt and is very productive.
    ^^^^^very good advice there...something I practice as well.

Surfdog

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by mart View Post
    Ross Seyfried once wrote a still hunting treatise I consider one of the best I've ever read. It was in successful Hunter back in the early 2000's. I have it but would have to dig for it.
    If you find that I'd like a link to it.
    Thanks, David

Vendor Sponsor
    I have often wondered on the naming of the diciplines of hunting. Still hunting is performed by "moving" through an area. Stand hunting is accomplished by "sitting" in a tree or on the ground. Spot and stalk is the description closest to the act of the three. Out west it is more like glass and sneak.

Boolit Master
    And then you got different terminology, along with different conditions, such as wide open hunting out west, and the close quarters brush in the east. I'm a eastern brush hunting kind of guy, and the western guys are chiming in with their wide open spaces stories, and then I can't figger it out !!!! no wonder I'm confused !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    move a little look a lot, be quiet.
    it can scare every bit of adrenaline out of both of you when you get within 15' of a bedded buck you didn't see and he suddenly realizes your there when he smells you.
    I have had this happen twice. What a rush. Luckily had a 2x on the .308 and a Lyman on the Krag!

Last time i hunted, was a compound bow and i was hunting rabbits.

I stalked some and found myself in a few situations where i had to still hunt cause they scurried towards me.

It was a lot of fun. UNBELIEVABLY difficult, which i think made it fun. I don't think id ever hunt another way ever again.

Of course, elk wouldn't (scurry ) towards me....
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    Still hunting for me is as follows,
    Only walk when other noises cover the noise you are making. Things such as wind, planes, vehicles, crows etc. only a few steps at a time, stop, look and listen. This is the only way I hunt and is very productive.
    Basically what I've learned to do... Except i tend to slow down tremendously when i spot animals from afar
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

Boolit Master

Eastern or western, we all modify our techniques in order to adapt to our surroundings. Where I live in western NY state the average shot at big game is only 30-35 yards. Frequently, my shots are more on the order of 30-35 feet! You can see deer moving much further out but the chance of threading a shot through the brush and trees is ZERO. But, it pays to still hunt, moving slowly and glassing. I use a 1-4x rifle scope to glass with, hung around my neck on a piece of paracord. I wear glasses so the longer eye relief of the scope versus binoculars is an advantage. I see a lot of deer that I can't possibly shoot but you never know when they'll turn towards you. This is where keeping the wind in your face and knowing the terrain are really important! Still-hunting works, done properly; Go S-L-O-W, glass every two or three steps - if you're moving fast enough to stay warm in cold weather, you're moving too fast!!!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    And then you got different terminology, along with different conditions, such as wide open hunting out west, and the close quarters brush in the east. I'm a eastern brush hunting kind of guy, and the western guys are chiming in with their wide open spaces stories, and then I can't figger it out !!!! no wonder I'm confused !!!!
    I live in timber country, where I still hunt. On the eastern plains in the state, it is spot and stalk.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    It's called "still hunting" because you are Still huntin even when you are moving VERY slowly to your next stand a few feet from this one. Or maybe because you gotta be still
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned

we have both types of hunting on the same mountain.
    you can go from a very thick pine-aspen-scrub oak thatch that transitions right to open grassy hill sides with buck brush and cedar trees that have sage brush along the bottom edge.[sometimes running out for miles]
    the pine-aspen thickets have a border of holly bushes you can't get through in many places.

I have to keep an eye on my scope settings throughout a day or just target certain types of cover if I have the lever gun along.
    I generally have both guns in the truck along with the shotgun during deer season.

you just never know where your gonna find a deer or a grouse when your out and about.
    two years back I watched a couple of coyotes cruise through the rock edges right at the tree line [about 9500 feet in elevation] in early November.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by whelenshooter View Post
    If you find that I'd like a link to it.
    Thanks, David
    The issue was Jan/Feb 2004 of Successful Hunter. I've scanned the the article and will attempt to post it in a PM to you.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have done it where I have the room to do so
    move when the wind blows stay in near cover
    be a shadow among shadows and do not linger
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by mart View Post
    The issue was Jan/Feb 2004 of Successful Hunter. I've scanned the the article and will attempt to post it in a PM to you.
    Thanks for that. In that article Seyfried references a book he holds in high regard on still hunting by Theodore Van Dyke. It's available on Kindle for $1.99. Print copies are high. Van Dyke was a contemporary of Theodore Roosevelt.

David

Boolit Buddy
    I bought the Van Dyke book after reading that article. It's a good read.

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    Yup. That's the one.

I love still hunting in the woods during high winds. The deer can't hear as well and you can get closer. This works for turkeys as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I love still hunting in the woods during high winds. The deer can't hear as well and you can get closer. This works for turkeys as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Kind of chancy in this area. These shallow rooted pines have a nasty habit of blowing over at any time.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    High wind is a good time to be out. I like to put on my rain gear and go out during a heavy rain. They seem to hold pretty tight and you can move quietly with ease.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast