RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: Cleaning the Shop is a Good Thing

Boolit Master

Cleaning the Shop is a Good Thing

Well I started an archaeological dig two weeks ago by cleaning the shop or at least the reloading area and found a Crossman 2100 still in the box from a good 12 years ago. Totally forgot that I had it and still wouldn't of remembered that it was there, getting old is great when you forget stuff.
    After playing around with it I have ended up hanging a Powermaster 3x9 x32 scope on it, found the scope and rings wrapped in a baggie on a shelf. So far it's not quite a tack driver at 30 yds with 6-7 pumps and seems to be a lot more accurate with pellets and a little oil in the bore. I'm looking for easy performance mods and have already shimmed and supported the end of the barrel with a piece of rubber tubing to keep it from whipping around.
    Been drawing bullseyes on 3x5 cards taped to a old plastic garage sale sign for targets, can't get any simpler than that. Not planning on shooting any varmints with it, just the occasional beer can and paper. forgot how much fun a pellet gun is for back yard plinking.

I don't even want to think about cleaning the shop,,,that involves throwing things away, which I will need soon after..

Boolit Master
    I wish I could find my mitutoyo dial caliper. It was always on my bench, next to the Rcbs Jr. But somehow it came up missing.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I think every shop has a sort of Mystical Vortex in it that attracts our 10mm 1/4" sockets, assorted nuts and bolts that we lost when we went to re-assemble those projects we previously disassembled and who knows what else.

There have been times when I'd just returned from the hardware store with tiny replacement parts that were meant to replace the ones I'd lost somewhere on the shop floor only to loose those new parts the moment I tried to get them out of the paper or plastic bag I had the cashier put them into specifically so I wouldn't loose them. I'm glad to hear someone else had forgotten or lost something in their shop too. Now I don't feel like I'm the only one.

Incidentally, I'm still looking for my .22 caliber range rod, my knurling tool and the set of soft-jaws I custom made with a lot of hard work. If any of you guys happen to find them in your shop's Vortex, please let me know. I'd like to have those back.

HollowPoint

HAH!!!! That's how George moves around I bet. Vortex to vortex. Takes something, leaves something, enjoys a libation while there. Ever buy a nut or bolt at the hardware store, bring it home and find out it does fit for sure, then, put it aside so it will be around when you need it only to discover when you actually do need it that it has grown or shrunk and no longer fits?

Quote Originally Posted by bbogue1 View Post
    when you actually do need it that it has grown or shrunk and no longer fits?
    If I remember correctly in college physics it was stated that the universe is constantly either expanding or contracting. Might explain why fasteners which previously fit do not after awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
    If I remember correctly in college physics it was stated that the universe is constantly either expanding or contracting. Might explain why fasteners which previously fit do not after awhile.
    Expanding,then when it runs out of matter/energy to do so the "big crunch" For shooters thats when you die and they sell your stuff for what you told them u paid for it<G>
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Master
    It seems that sweeping the floor just makes that black hole where stuff disappears bigger. Lost a fly for a tumbler I was making that way, it hit the floor and was gone.

Boolit Master

I keep mine picked up and STILL have stuff come up missing.....argh!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

I got one of those pickup magnets like used to get nails off the garage floor in my shop. Works great on tiny lost screws and nuts but not on gas checks and boolits for some reason.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

Just as soon as you figure out how that vortex works, make a magnet for lead will you!!!

Boolit Master
    They can be modified...worth it?
    They are not the easiest to take apart but a good polishing of the trigger and sear contacts will help the trigger.
    Sealing up the gas port and modifying the pump head can increase power a bit. As for accuracy. Check the crown and try pellets. Dime size groups at 30 feet is about the best I ever got on a good day.

Boolit Grand Master

Eye of squirrel is impossible when even the head of the squirrel is hard to see. Age offers you new challenges. Even center mass is a small target.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Mac1911, I think you are right, I'll leave it alone. Even redoing the trigger sounds like more than I want to take on. It has a long trigger creep with a funny break but still shoots a 1/2 inch group at 30 yards using pellets which is just fine by me. I already cleaned up the crown with some 600 grit paper and stabilized the tip of the barrel with some rubber tubing stuffed in the outer barrel sleeve. The 3x9x32 scope helps with seeing the target, it's all about having fun.
    I'm trying a 50/50 beeswax, olive oil on the pellets and it seems to help. All I did was take a chunk of the wax and put it in the container with the pellets then shake it. The wax ended up coating the pellets with a real thin layer, don't know if it gives a better seal or makes the pellet slide better but my grouping has improved since using it.
    Last edited by Eddie2002; 12-10-2017 at 02:18 PM.