Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: under lever in 45/70 load questions.

Boolit Mold

Smile under lever in 45/70 load questions.

Evening everyone.
    I am looking to get an under lever in 45/70. a few questions please as a newbie to 45/70. What size bullet should I be using it will only be a max 100yd paper puncher as in the UK. mostly 50yd I have seen a few reference's to 459 . I am probably going with a proper Marlin not a recent Remmington made job.

Also if using around 405gn lead what powders are good for it? Gentle loads please no kicking like a mule

Any info much appreciated.

All the best
    Pete

Boolit Master
    Pete, the best thing for you to do is slug your barrel and use a bullet .001-.002" larger. "Best" powders for lighter loads are 5744, Unique, 2400, Rel7,4198, and several others. The 45-70 is the least fussy caliber I've ever loaded for. I shoot only Trapdoor style loads in all my 45-70s, I'm not a fan of heavy recoil and even the lightest loads shoot fantastic out to 100 yards and don't kill on my end. Good luck with this.

Boolit Master
    Pete:

Can you get Trail Boss powder in the UK?

Also, study the black powder, paper-patching, and powder coating sections on this site.

You will also find many of your countrymen involved in the same quest as you.

Yer gonna have a lot of fun !!!

I got the most help on these matters by reading a book by Paul A. Matthews titled, Forty Years with the 45-70 Revised. Be sure you get the revised edition. It has a lot of information on newer powders. I agree with him that IMR 3031, IMR 4198 and IMR 4227 are some of the better lower powered powders.

Matthews also makes several good points on what he calls "utility" rounds that he carries every day when he walks his property. He uses them mostly for target shooting. But there is the opportunity of stray squirrels attacking his fences or even his house. So he uses a light load in his every day carry Marlin 1895.

Good luck. I hope this helps.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Master
    AA2015, RL-7, 4198 and for lesser loads..Trail Boss.

Boolit Master
    Pete. I have been messing with the 45-70 for over 25 years, I have tried a lot of different powders and after about a year into it I settled on Unique. Mainly because of cost and it also gives good to excellent accuracy out to a 100 meters. My first rifle for it was "Marlyn". Because of Mule kick I also settled on two molds for it, both were Lyman the #s are 457191 a 292 gr and the other is 457122 HP 330 gr. When I got into Cowboy long range shooting I sold the Marlyn and got a Pedersoli Rolling block so I Could shoot heavier cast boolits up to 500gr or more. I still used Unique and did very well. The heavy weights shoot better at 500 Meters than the 300 grainers do. The one thing about Unique is to be very carefull about double charging.

Boolit Master
    This was a double post.
    Last edited by 45-70 Chevroner; 12-06-2017 at 07:31 PM.

Boolit Master

pete s I would add be watchful of lube on your bullet bases. With reduced loads and a sticky base, you may get a lot of powder stuck here and not burning proper.

Boolit Master
    Check loads at the gmdr.com web site and in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook.
    EDG