WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 30-30 Questions

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by quail4jake View Post
    Pound slug the throat and fit to the throat diameter. Check out LBT, Veral Smith, he can send you slugs and instruction on how to do it.
    Not easy to do on a Model 94....

Boolit Master
    Very easy. Just measure the inside of the neck of a case fired in your rifle. And as said above, 3031 is excellent!
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    When you order your mould, don't forget to get a Lyman M-die or NOE neck expander plug for a Lee neck exp. die. They insure the bullet goes in straight without shaving lead or further reducing the bullet dia. because of a too tight neck. I've had great luck with the Lee 170 mould, at $22 a great bargain.
    Got the Lee 150 and 170 gr they both work great in either Win 94 /or Marlin ! Hunting I use the 170gr and squirrels hate the 150gr

I'm very happy with the Lee C309FP and IMR 3031. I use thinned Lee Alox and the Lee push through sizer .309". I'm using it in two very different 30-30s and performance is great in both.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I'm very happy with the Lee C309FP and IMR 3031. I use thinned Lee Alox and the Lee push through sizer .309". I'm using it in two very different 30-30s and performance is great in both.
    I agree.

Boolit Master
    Try this: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-180Q-D.png
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2101.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	209029
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2091.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	209030
    The group is 5 shots at 50 yards. The load was recommended by Larry. For your 94 you probably want to back off to 25 grains and work back up. This is sized 0.311" and lubed with Carnauba Red, with Hornady checks. Winchester case and WLR primers. It is about 2000 fps.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 12-06-2017 at 11:29 PM.
    USMC 6638

Super Moderator

I size to .311 in my Win M94's, and lube with BAC. I also use Hornady copper checks, and I use the Lee Universal neck expander. I don't really see the the need here to do a pound cast, or to even slug the bore. Of course it's your option to do so, but if sized to .310 or .311 you're good to go. .311 has given me my best accuracy.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I size to .311 in my Win M94's, and lube with BAC. I also use Hornady copper checks, and I use the Lee Universal neck expander. I don't really see the the need here to do a pound cast, or to even slug the bore. Of course it's your option to do so, but if sized to .310 or .311 you're good to go. .311 has given me my best accuracy.
    In casting and loading for my 38’s and 45’s I’ve seen a difference in how the ammunition performs when trying different sizing diameters. Doing some quick checking I see the “standard” or typical bullet diameter for a .30-30 Win cartridge is .308 - this of course is coming from some jacketed bullet data.

So when making our own projectiles, we have more control over the composition of the ammunition - one aspect in this case being bullet diameter. If the bullet is too wide, pressure can increase. If the bullet is too narrow performance could suffer. If it’s too wide will I have issues chambering the cartridge or in other words will I have issues closing the action on a live round?

Super Moderator

Sizing at .310 or .311, and seated properly, you "shouldn't" have any problems with chambering. You need to make that sure you remove the "bell" from when you expand the case neck. I use a Lee FCD to do this, with a very light crimp. Your rifle will tell you, but the Lee 150 or 170 are designed for the 30-30, as is the 311041. We generally want to go at least .002 over, so .310 or .311 won't cause pressure issues.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
    What size sizing die should I buy? I could slug my bore and find out I guess...
    I would shoot the boolits "as cast " IF a cartridge will chamber with NO pressure. Seat gas check with over-sized die then lube.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
    Hi all and thank you in advance for any help with my questions. First off I am a new member here and this is my first post. I have read and gathered information here in the past however as a non-member.

Breifly I’ll say that I don’t have years of experience in casting bullets but I do have have some. Until last year I was only casting round ball for my various muzzleloaders. Now I cast 45’s and 38’s for my competitive pistols and it is that work that has lead me to here.

I own a 1972 Winchester Model 94 in .30-30 Win. I have never cast bullets for center fire rifle before. I do not want to use a gas check - I know nothing of them and don’t want to take the time to instal them and such. I have hopes of casting a 150gr bullet and using IMR 4064 as I have plenty of it - for hunting loads accurate out to 100 yards. Is this doable with the powder I have? Can it be done without a gas check? I don’t have a mold yet so if my bullet weight needs to change that’s doable. I have a lot of 4064 because I use it in my 7x57mm that I load for but I use jacketed bullets in it. I’d like to use cast for the 30-30.
    IMHO.. I'd go gas check.. you are sizing anyway.. and that's when you would check it. I just think you can maximize your performance with that .

Boolit Master

Jason, PM on the way.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy

Welcome to the wonderful, arcane world of cast rifle bullets. I would strongly urge you - DO use a gas check! Plain base loads are for the "post graduate" caster, with several years of experience. Plain based bullets will guarantee frustration for the novice. To start, just get a "standard" gas check mold like the Lyman #311291, and load it with "standard" mid range charges - any Lyman handbook will have these. Then have fun! Don't expect immediate success. Rifles are a little more demanding than pistols. BUT - as time goes by, and you gain experience, your results WILL improve, and then your confidence will soar. The .30-30 is a GREAT cast bullet cartridge, and you couldn't start with a better platform. Best of luck.

Boolit Master
    JasonG, welcome to your new endeavor of cast rifle boolits. It opens the door to a lot of options. My experiences agree with the vast majority of what's been posted, particularly the use of gas checks. The increase in performance afforded by their use renders their inconvenience a minor consideration. They can be dispensed with for velocities under 1800 fps or so, depending on how your 94 acts. Once you get into this, you can experiment with and without to see what the differences are and whether they matter for your intended application. When loading cast with Alliant 2400 or other pistol powders (Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook), they're usually not necessary, but for general purpose full power hunting loads, they're the way to go, and use a good lube for the velocities you intend. As for the correct sizing diameter, at least .001 over groove diameter. Many go more than this due to the chamber/throat conditions in their rifles and get impressive results, but the warnings you see about chambering without resistance are real. Some years ago I helped a fellow pressure lap his '94 and it did exquisitely well with Lyman's 150gr 311466 w/gas check when sized to .309 diameter (We flattened the noses on those in a Lyman 450 sizer/luber for safety in the mag tube). With the 180gr boolit I saw suggested, propellants faster than 4064 may work better, but that weight may well cork up 4064 enough to get to the velocities you want. Since you have the 4064, it might be worth a try.

There's another option that hasn't yet been mentioned which could obviate the need for gas checks, eliminate the possibility of leading, increase the velocity limit with cast to more than the .30-30 can produce and reduce the need for tertiary support equipment, and that is paper patching, the original bullet jacket - and you don't need a special paper patch mold for it either. I patch most of my rifle calibers these days and I use conventional molds. They work very well in .30 cal's and are easy to do. If you'd like to give it a try, I and numerous others will give you a hand with it. There's two paper patch forums on this site with volumes of info on the art. Bare cast or paper patch, I wish you success.
    Last edited by yeahbub; 12-08-2017 at 09:47 PM.

Boolit Master
    Howdy.

I use 150 grain boolits in my 3 30-30's and i do use a gas check.
    I have not tried IMR-4064 with cast but have used IMR-3031.
    The checks are not hard to seat and after you come up with a system it will not be noticed.
    Good luck

YMMV, but that bullet will not work in any model 94 I have ever had, my 94's require a bore rider diameter no larger than .301 (and .301 is iffy)where the bullet steps down from .311. This is due to the extremely short lead winnies use. Any bore rider above .301 engages the riflings before the cartridge seats in the chamber and the lever will not close. Other rifles, it may be fine, just not an off the shelf model 94.
    It is a dandy looking bullet though.

Boolit Master
    That nose was designed around the 7.62x51 but it works exceedingly well in the chamber of the 788 which has a throat, unlike your 94. Tom will make the nose whatever size you need it to be. As you can see in the pic the bullet is seated right to the edge of the step down. That is to accomodate the magazine on the 788.
    USMC 6638

@OBD

Tom does indeed do excellent work, I have several of his moulds and they are top notch.

Have you hunted with this bullet? It looks like a meat maker for sure.

Boolit Master
    I have hunted, I just haven't harvested yet. I had a shot on a little spike a couple of weeks ago but let him walk. May get a chance tomorrow. We'll see.
    USMC 6638

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    I have hunted, I just haven't harvested yet. I had a shot on a little spike a couple of weeks ago but let him walk. May get a chance tomorrow. We'll see.
    Best of luck!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast