Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: Maybe Antique Pewter Pitcher

Maybe Antique Pewter Pitcher

I found this pitcher at a thrift store today and took a chance on whether it was pewter and also on the weight ( I'm away from home and away from a scale today). It bends, thunks, and passes the fingernail test. The second picture shows what might be the remains of a Hallmark inside the lid.

Based on some searching I think it might be 18th century. It's probably not worth much if any more than the rotometals equivalent, but I don't know if I can bring myself to melt this if it is that old.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by etherwalker; 12-07-2017 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Formatting

How much does it weigh?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_In_OKC View Post
    How much does it weigh?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    I'll let you know tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by etherwalker View Post
    I'll let you know tomorrow

It's about a foot tall. My guess is 8 pounds, but I don't know how good my guesses are yet.

I hope it turns out to be pewter for you. I have a box with a bunch of those type of pitchers that I think are just plated pot metal that came with a collection that I got for $10 at a yard sale. Half the collection was hallmarked food service pewter. I've burned holes in all mine and they do melt quickly. So, I hope it does turn out to be pewter.
    A deplorable that votes!

Quote Originally Posted by etherwalker View Post
    My guess is 8 pounds, but I don't know how good my guesses are yet.
    My guesses aren't very good. It's only 3 pounds 7 ounces. Combined with a couple of other pieces I got 4.5 pounds for $20, which isn't terrible (assuming I melt the pitcher)

Don't melt it with known pewter until you're sure. Why ruin the rest of your good pewter with a bad one?
    A deplorable that votes!

Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    Don't melt it with known pewter until you're sure. Why ruin the rest of your good pewter with a bad one?
    As of now, that pitcher is 2/3rds (by weight) of my entire pewter collection . But I probably will get the known pewter to "just melting" and drop in a piece of the pitcher to make sure it melts at that temp, too.

Boolit Master
    Leave the pitcher intact. Melt the rest of your know pewter. As soon as it's liquid, stick the bottom of your pitcher in the melt (not against the bottom of the pot). If it's pewter it will melt within 30 seconds.

I can tell you from experience that the older (darker) pewter is not 80-90% tin it is much less... like 40/60 lead/tin or sometimes worse... I live in the northeast and old pewter is pretty common here... it messes with my ratios... thats how I know.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Grand Master

Pewter from the 18th century would have been used daily for years. That piece is in remarkable condition for such an item.

I respectfully disagree with the information provided by maxreloader regards lead percentages in even ancient pewter.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Pewter from the 18th century would have been used daily for years. That piece is in remarkable condition for such an item.

I respectfully disagree with the information provided by maxreloader regards lead percentages in even ancient pewter.
    A lot of the fine details you see in some of the internet examples (including the hallmark) are pretty well worn away on this one, and there's a nice dent/hole on the other side. So while lots of people think it's cool that it might be old, nobody actually wants to possess it.

I hope you are right about the tin content.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

I have a whale-oil lamp that is pewter... it is so soft that it reminds me of thick lead roof flashing when you try bending it. Not a lot of tin in there I guarantee it.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Grand Master

Don't forget that high tin pewter creeks and groans when bent. It's a pretty reliable positive sign.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    You can melt it into a manageable ingot and do a water displacement specific gravity test. My bet is 30% lead.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

That darker patina when I have seen it was from lead content in pewter. High tin has a shine and turns that light gray that is more common. Lead has been all but gone from pewter since sometime in the 70's I think so you only see that dark color in older stuff. I have a pair of small plates that are nearly black and in a style from the late 1700's to around 1840 so I don't melt it. They might be worth around $25 each but that isn't the main reason. The main one is these could have been around for the signing of the declaration of independence, and through WW1 and the depression and WW2 etc. I don't need tin bad enough to trash something that old.

When in doubt find out! I sold some pewter to an antique place for twice what it was worth as tin, and I'm sure they still had room to make a profit. What was said earlier about condition matters is true, few people collect busted or badly damaged items. However you lose nothing by hitting the internet to see what pitchers like that sell for, or taking it by an antique shop to see what they would give you for it. You know what it is worth as tin. I think orisolo has a bunch of pewter he has been selling for a while, and others sell pewter here so between $7 and $9 a pound. If an antique store will beat that then you come out ahead. Oh take the $20 sticker off it first.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat