Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Lee 175gr TC 410 Slug

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.

Lee 175gr TC 410 Slug

As some of you know, I've been loading brass 410 "slug" rounds(using 38 WCF 200gr data) for a while. I charge the case, and seat a Lee 401-175-TC boolit(no wad, loose powder), in a brass 410 case, and crimp the boolit, to hold it in place. This works well for me, but I had little success loading good plastic hulled 410 slugs with the same rig. The slug is 0.401" and it's a loose fit unless I use a wad to hold the boolit. This isn't a bad problem, except, for me to feel safe using the 38 WCF data, I want the powder to be uncompressed, and have some airspace. The answer, IMO, is to load a 0.410" slug that is "crushable". I don't want to damage my little shotgun.

This brings us, up to date. A few weeks back I saw a homemade slug mould on FB. It was made from an old socket. This started the wheels turning. Using that idea, I have now found a way to both put flutes on that 40 cal boolit, AND increase the diameter to 0.409".

I push the boolit through a twelve point 9mm box wrench. I plan on removing the handle, and grinding it round, in order to make a bushing. I hope to make a die that will better center the would be slug, and hold the bushing. I gotta borrow a shop first. Anyway, I thought I'd share this. Cheers.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Attaching a plastic wad to the back of that boolit with a small screw would make it fly straighter.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Are you shooting that in a full choke barrel ?
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Attaching a plastic wad to the back of that boolit with a small screw would make it fly straighter.

Randy
    Thanks. Been working on that.

My muzzle measures 0.395" at the muzzle. I didn't think it was full choke, because I have seen them measure 0.375" and 0.383", but someone told me mine was.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it