Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ordered a Russian Slug Mold today

Boolit Grand Master

BMT:

I have been following so many threads my old brain is overwhelmed but... I think BT posted that this slug runs around 0.727", undersize a bit anyway I am pretty sure.

I have an oversize smoothbore I'll be shooting them in so I may try paper patching though paper patch may not survive opening the crimp and the jump through the forcing cone. I can also knurl up then size back to my bore size... if they will knurl that far. I can make them bigger by several thou anyway.

I have not used HS6 as there hasn't been any available locally, when I have looked anyway. I do have some Blue Dot and so far it is my favourite slug powder, at least for heavy slugs.

I'll weigh these slugs complete but am betting the Precision Rifle data for their 610 gr. Piledriver will be about right for these. That load info is in post #27 if you haven't seen it.

I lean towards the Tusker clone though both that and the Paradox are nice designs to my eyes and the moulds appear to be of good quality. I will certainly enjoy testing these.

Longbow

I found!
    Special wads from Russia
    from Svarog
    payment-PayPal

http://svaroghunt.ru/pulya-gualandi
    e-mail:
    svarog.zakaz@mail.ru

100-4,8$

Shipping:
    250-16$
    500-29$
    1100-48$
    2600-87$
    6000-160$

So for me, getting a decent group one time mean very little. If I can repeat that group, then I have something. I was at the range today testing some Buckshot loads and ran another test of the Russian Paradox slug with 30 gn WSF and a fold crinp. I'm pretty content with this load but will continue to try to improve it. It rather reminds me of a recent group by Longbow with the horizontal line across the target. I shot this group standing with the shotgun (Rem 870 smoothbore iron sights) braced against a 2x4 wall. There was no target dot on the target I just held center as best as I could on an IPSC cardboard target.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mar 17 2018 50 Yards.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	216626

Kraken Fan #69

Quote Originally Posted by KrakenFan69 View Post
    So for me, getting a decent group one time mean very little. If I can repeat that group, then I have something. I was at the range today testing some Buckshot loads and ran another test of the Russian Paradox slug with 30 gn WSF and a fold crinp. I'm pretty content with this load but will continue to try to improve it. It rather reminds me of a recent group by Longbow with the horizontal line across the target. I shot this group standing with the shotgun (Rem 870 smoothbore iron sights) braced against a 2x4 wall. There was no target dot on the target I just held center as best as I could on an IPSC cardboard target.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mar 17 2018 50 Yards.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	216626

Kraken Fan #69
    You tried blue dot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BT,

Yes I have. Some had some promise but at this point nothing has came close to WSF for accuracy except Longshot. #5 gn Longshot was terrible but 40 was pretty decent although it had more kick than WSF. So far 30 gn WSF is my jam.

Kraken Fan #69

Boolit Grand Master

Hahahahaha! My horizontal group was larger than your horizontal group... size does matter! Interestingly the same slug over a hard card wad column shot much better on the last range trip.

I'll be shooting some of those Paradox slugs this weekend with any luck. They are loaded over Blue Dot. I went a bit mild at 36 grs. because the only primers I could get are Federal 209A's and they have a reputation of raising pressures some. That was the starting load for the Precision Rifle Piledriver 610 gr. slug. I've had good results with 36 to 40 grs. of Blue Dot under a 0.735" RB which weighs the same as these slugs so should be good.

Kracken are you roll crimping or fold crimping?

Longbow

I have tried them both rolled and fold crimped. They seem about the same either way honestly. I'm headed to the gun show in Calgary this weekend to score some more hulls,wads and gas seals. I'm in a bad way for those!

Looking forward to seeing the results!

Kraken Fan #69

I'm following along here with interest. I've just started toying with the slug-round ball loads and getting supplies together. One of my early purchases was the Lyman 20ga sabot slug mould. Now I'm new enough at this that there may be things I over look , so please be patient. When I had trouble with the HB pin sticking I applied a very small amount of dielectric silicon grease to the pin (this is what I always use on the sprue plates of my moulds) and that worked for me. Gp

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123