Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Round Ball in full choke 16 gauge

Cheshire Oregon-Near Eugene about 60 miles from Pacific coast

Round Ball in full choke 16 gauge

I'm hoping to work up a round ball load for my JP Sauer 16x16 over 8x57 JR. I have a mold ordered for the rifle now I need to decide what size ball mold to get. The left barrel mikes .637 at the muzzle and the right .642. The left is the one I want to work with since when you select the rifle the rear sight pops up and the front trigger shoots the rifle and the rear the left barrel. A Rem sp16 wad when pressed into the muzzle and measured with a caliper is .600. I know that is a size Lee makes but I was wondering if I should go 1 size smaller and patch to fit to be on the safe side? I see that Lee also makes .575 and .562 sizes. I'm also unclear about load data. I have read that you can use the data for the same weight of shot. So I would use 7/8 oz as it is the closest? Longbow has mentioned using card wads and cream of wheat to cushion the ball I had planned on that so I would add that weight to the ball and go from there? I really hope to get a load to hit the sights at 40 yards or so. I found a five pack of Rem slugs and so far only shot 2 offhand at 30 yards. They hit about 3 1/2 inches apart and to the right. They would have both killed a deer at that range. I could have been pulling the shot though. My shots are close so I'm not asking for great accuracy Need to try some more off some sticks or a standing rest. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EBE9A9B8-1CC9-47A8-B160-A53B45B3C8D2.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Past is prologue:

See page 10 for the Round Ball size used in Winchester 16 gauge factory loads.

http://cartridgecollectors.org/conte...bbers%20PL.pdf

Calculate Ball Weight here:

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/resc....610&v2=2876.1
    Last edited by RMc; 03-29-2018 at 06:10 PM.

Cheshire Oregon-Near Eugene about 60 miles from Pacific coast
    Thanks. That is a really cool old catalog. I'm sure back then there would not be a wad around that ball so it would be a loose fit. They probably made them so that they would go through any choke. I'm hoping to find the right wad, ball combo to work in my full choke gun. A bare .610 seems like it would rattle down the barrel.

Thanks Great information