RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ordered a Russian Slug Mold today

Boolit Grand Master

That's a little better price than $105.00!

i'll keep my eyes peeled for good prices. I may just get a new mould yet. I've just had my work hours reduced though so we'll see how things go.

Good Lord I was robbed! I paid $130 CAD for it shipped. It did come with 3 pins. Yeah, Yeah, I'm a sucker. Longbow your voice carry's more weight than mine in this forum. Send me a pm with your address and I'll send you some slugs and wads to test and report back for the crew!

Kraken Fan #69

Boolit Grand Master

I am sure your testing and range reports will be just fine.

There's lots of people here been doing lots more than I have especially lately! It has been far too long since I have been to the range for sure. Life gets in the way sometimes.

I do have a whack of slugs loaded and a few more to get loaded for a fun filled shoulder bruising mind numbing (as in brain rattling from recoil if you didn't get that) day at the range... I am hoping this coming weekend.

I certainly wouldn't mind trying some of those slugs but shipping in Canada is expensive and shipping lead is really expensive if you haven't checked with Canada Post. The last bunch of slugs I sent South for testing cost me $20.00 to send. A couple shipments like that and I may as well send the mould!

I can cross the border and send 50 lbs. (or is it 70 lbs.?) flat rate for $8.95 US. At least last time I checked yet I paid way more than that in Canada for about a pound and a half. Nowadays it isn't legal to take reloading supplies (like boolits/slugs) into the States to ship. Homeland Security is a concern and I do not want to be in their bad boy books!

What I would like are a few of those wads. I'd like to see if I can shape the HB cavity in my slug mould to suit those wads. If so I'd add them to the test plan and if successful I'd order a couple thousand wads.

Maybe we should talk. I'll PM you.

Thanks,
    Longbow

So I got out last early this week and burned some powder. Of the 6 or so loads I tried this was the best result.
    25 gn WSF with a fold crimp in a Fiocchi 2-3/4" hull. Shot at 0 Deg C in about a 20 MPH wind from a Rem 870 smoothbore using an Improved Cylinder choke. Distance is 50 yards. More testing will be done. 3.75" 3 shot group.

Kraken Fan #69

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Feb 13 2018 50 yds 2 deg C 20 mph wind Measured.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	214317

Boolit Master

KrackenFan69-

Thats not a bad start, really. Have you tried any other powders? Longshot? Unique, maybe? Just thinking outside the box.

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Yes, Green Dot, WSF, Blue Dot, Longshot... I have several other powders too if I can get decent data for them. I'm kinda out in left field for load data. I have ordered the BPI slug manual and that should give me some DGS data that would be close to work from. I also just picked up some HS-6 and ordered some 4756 too. I will be testing more with a rifled choke tube as welll. My plan is to continue testing using Fiber wads and no Tail Wad this spring as well just for a lark. You never know till you try. The other (huge) hurdle to me will be repeatability. I don't care if I score a 1 MOA group at 100 if I can't repeat it.

Kraken Fan #69

Boolit Grand Master

I just looked the Piledriver slug data out for another fellow so thought I might as well share it here too:

Piledriver_1.pdfPileDriver_2.pdfPileDriver_3.pdf

This was my basis for loading most slugs over 500 grs. I used Fiocchi 2 3/4" hulls, Winchester 209 primers (mild) and built up wad column to suit the slug using plastic gas seal then card wads and/or nitro card wads. The first time around I was loading 0.735" RB's which weigh about 580 grs. I settled on 38 grs. of powder being as much fun as I wanted holding onto a light single shot. I can't recall how high I went in charge but I do not recall going over 40 grs. The pressures look a wee bit high for my liking anyway so I stuck with 36 grs. to 38 grs. depending.

I like Blue Dot and have had no problems with the failures to ignite in cold weather. I have to assume it is a problem as I have read it in several places but I've not had any problems. The only problem I have had is with light payloads... BD sometimes leaves a lot of unburned powder with light payloads and/or with lightish powder charges.

This data should be fine with your Paradox slugs in straight walled hulls.

Longbow

Banned

Anyone try steel powder yet? It was the replacement for BD having poor ignition.

Boolit Grand Master

Turbo1889 liked Steel and a few others here have used it. I haven't tried it yet but may if I find some.

A search should get you some info.

Longbow

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Anyone try steel powder yet? It was the replacement for BD having poor ignition.
    I tried it once and caused a bulge in the barrel at the start of the choke. This was entirely my own fault as I used too little powder to ensure proper ignition (something that Turbo 1889 had warned against several times) Apparently the erratic ignition had just enough energy to push the slug along the barrel until it got stuck in the choke, the following shock-wave then hit the immobilized slug and caused a pressure build-up before the slug could start moving again. The shot felt and sounded perfectly normal and the slug hit the target, but the damage was done. After that I've been a little reluctant to use the slower powders with light slugs.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Buddy
    Cap'n Morgan, how big is that bulge? Could it be that you just created a jug choke? Can you post a photo?
    Just because change doesn't make a difference doesn't mean that change is bad.

Banned

I load lite loads with steel shot and steel powder. One is a 1oz going 1700fps. BUT, you have to use federal mag 209 primers.

Anybody try the expanding mold? I kind of like that design,seems versatile in loading and not dependent on special wads other than screwing them in. not sure how it would do plowing through harder targets. What is the factory website?
    Last edited by wonderwolf; 02-18-2018 at 09:18 PM.
    My firearms project blog

I contacted my contact in Russia about the wads to place a 9,000 piece order. He said the injection mold machine is broken and is in the process of getting fixed. Should be done in a month or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

There's one of the main reasons I don't like single source or hard to obtain "stuff"! But what can you do? Look like nice moulds and the performance is good.

I'm still playing with the hot melt glue tail wads on my slugs (may be shooting today if I get time) but they are not suitable for full bore slugs unless paper patched. I've actually been thinking about the Russian slug moulds quite a bit bit that in mind but I'll do some more testing on my slugs. I'd also like to make a different core pin that would allow me to use those Russian tail wads on my slugs to see how that goes. When you get those tail wads I may order some to try if you are selling. I think they are okay to export from the States. Most gun related/reloading stuff isn't without an FFL.

Longbow

Good to know there is progress BT!

I had heard from someone that I should cut the tail wads down so that the slug is resting on the "shelf" to be more support. I had not had any issues with badly mangled wads from the tests I have done but thought I'd try it. If it is better AND shorter, I'm all for it. Alas the two loads I tried with WSF and Blue Dot were WILDLY inaccurate. I believe it throws the center of gravity or some such off and the mini tail just can't do it's job. Anyway, the testing continues. I tried a couple of very light lights of HS-6 (I had no real idea where to start) and turns out you should remember to remove the Carlson's Coyote choke you were using to test Buckshot BEFORE lighting off a slug. Ugh. Thankfully the load was indeed VERY light and it just swagged into the choke requiring it to be drilled out to remove it. Slug loading continues. I have oppered a care package to Longbow of some of these slugs/wads due to his experience and proximity to me as well. Those should be going out next week and we may see some new fresh loads from that camp too!

Name:	Cut Down Wad.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	215075

Amateur Tip: Always test all the slugs first and verify the Choke when changing loads!!

Amateur Casting Tip: The Facebook Group "Buck & Slug Reloaders", ran by our very own BloodTrail, helped me diagnose an issue with the Russian Molds this week. The pin was spinning and I was having issues removing the slugs from the pin. They recommended cleaning with a scotch bright pad and coating with graphite (some suggested the old stand by of smoking with a candle) to assist in releasing the slug. I had no graphite so I just used a pencil to rub along the pin a few times to coat it. Worked quite well. The biggest tip however was that the Russian molds are designed so that when you remove the pin with the slug attached, you can put them back into the mold to the rear driving band and trap it in place allowing you to use the mold itself to assist in removing the pin. Then simply open the mold and the slug falls free! I found my slugs still spun a touch but I could pull straight out and viola'! Thanks again to Blood Trail and Tim Holt for sharing that knowledge!

Name:	Slug Trap 1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	215077

Name:	Slug Trap 2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	215078

In these last pics the pin would still be attached to the slug. Just so happens that while attempting to get "one last cast" out of a pot of lead I ended up with lead trappen in the pin so I couldn't insert the pin back into these slugs for the pics. What can I say, my life is a warning to others. lol

Kraken Fan #69

Boolit Grand Master

That is a handy tip should I get one of those moulds. The pin sticking in the HB is a major problem with my Lyman Foster mould too but no grooves so this tip doesn't apply there. Also, polishing and graphite didn't help there as it is just too long a pin and too shallow a taper. I don't use that mould anymore!

I do like the looks of that slug! Very nice! The mould looks good too and if the slug is spinning when you go to pull out the pin that means the mould is nice and round so good stuff.

I am looking forward to the care package and subsequent testing! There is another local slug shooter here (not many of us) that I am trying to tee up a shooting day with so maybe we test together. I have a pile of slug loads to test and just haven't gotten it done yet. SOON!

Longbow

Longbow,

50 Slugs cast from pure(ish) lead (sheet lead and lead washers) and 50 wads inbound soon!

Kraken Fan #69

Boolit Grand Master

50 is certainly more than I need! A dozen would do it! However, it you want to send 50 I'll just lose more brain cells to recoil!

I appreciate it for sure and will post results. This will be the stimulus I need to get away from all that has been keeping me off the range. In fact since shooting is therapeutic it will be good for me! I'll leave the range dumber but with a big smile I am sure.

Thanks,
    Longbow

PS: By the way, 50 will be pricey (if you send that many) on postage/shipping. If you can send collect I'll pay. Otherwise I'll return the favour by sending you something.
    Last edited by longbow; 02-25-2018 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Added PS

Just catching up on this one. Glad your testing it as this is the one that floats my boat. I really like the look of this slug and I’m wanting to try a bore rider like this.
    What is the diameter of the slug, is it 12g bore sized, or a little bigger or smaller ?

The mould seems cheap via eBay to the UK, although 1000 wads seems to be more than the mould as the guy wants a lot of shipping on them.

I’m a big fan of HS6 for slugs (also like Blue Dot) so would try and work up a load with that if you can.

Happy to tag along and watch and help as much as I can as it will help me too

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast