Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting load for .45acp (rifle carbine) ??

Boolit Buddy
    In my 5" 1911 with a 260 cast over 5 grains of Red Dot I am getting a little over 900. I do put a 22 pound spring in it for that load. I would think with a little playing around you could get around 1100.
    Steve

Boolit Master

The few times I sat on the stand with my Camp 45, it was stoked with 230 Federal Hydra Shock HPs. I was confident they would do the job.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    I'm averaging a chronoed 1175fps from an 18" 45ACP T/C Carbine, with 9.4grs HS7 and the the Lee 255gr RNFP. This load Is still 1 grain + under max.

I have a converted Marlin 1894. I'm shooting 265 grain cast bullets around 1300 fps with N105. According to QL, they are running around 24000 psi

Boolit Master

You ever hear of the 460 Rowland? It is shot in 45 acp guns with MUCH stronger recoil springs you may be able to do the same with the carbine ? DO NOTE the brass is trimmed and reamed from 308 type cases 45 acp brass will not hold up . http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol only has data for Longshot powder starting loads are over 30,000 psi and top load id near 40,000 psi.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    I have a T/C Contender 10" barrel in 45 ACP. My am using 4.6 gr of Bullseye with a 230 gr RF for a muzzle velocity of 1060 fps. My experience with PRB in my 45 muzzle loader tells me that that 45 ACP load will be more than adequate for small to medium deer out to 75 yards even though conventional wisdom would say I would be better served throwing rocks.

Boolit Master

Kens
    Gotta know, bolt action or semi-auto?
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    What is there to gain if you worked up a load using a carbine rifle powder? (16" barrel per-se)
    Voice of moderation here. . .if that's the primary question, probably not a great deal from a practical standpoint. I've seen one 1911 barrel blown up from .45 Super experiments, and one of my shooting buddies has a scrap of brass in his upper lip from a 6:00 case rupture in a 1911 heavy bullet experiment that shows up on his dental x-rays.

It's worth noting that the black powder .45 Colt load was concocted with the secondary purpose of killing HORSES in mind, and GI hardball spec is not really all that far behind it (the Thompson / Legarde tests were what gave it to us, after all). Penetration only suffers when you try to make them expand with hollowpoints - solid flat-nose 230's are good for 8-9 milk jugs at a launch speed of 830 fps, and the first three in the stack will show hydrostatic rupturing. Not my first choice for a trophy elk hunt, but if you were hungry enough to get close enough, there's no reason to believe it wouldn't serve.

My point is that trying to get "more" may be more trouble than it's really worth, especially if you've got a multi-.45 household where the hot load worked up for Gun A could inadvertently end up in Gun B. Just take the modest velocity boost your standard handgun load gets out of the longer barrel and be happy. Trying to flatten the trajectory of a .45ACP is about as practical as trying to lighten a main battle tank. If you want a cannon, cartridge up to revolvers or true rifle rounds.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    ^^^^Bravissimo! What BigSlug said!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Kens
    Gotta know, bolt action or semi-auto?
    Mike
    its the marlin camp .45. I was just wondering if you worked up a load with slow powder that might get benefit from the 16" barrel, albeit it might not function in a 1911 because of the slow powder.

Boolit Master

Well the impulse of the slower burning powder may cause a safety timing issue
    Be careful
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Well I recently bought my 3rd Hipoint Carbine, this one in .45acp.

I don't try to feed it any different ammo.
    I know the longer barrel is going to add roughly 150 to 300 fps on top of what is probably a 800 to 900 fps pistol load.

I also know that 230 grain bullet is most likely to go through anything in the way of flesh and blood that it meets.

Out to 75 yards I would have no qualms about dropping the hammer on a deer or hog at need.
    That is my opinion, and it is worth what it cost ya.

For me it is not worth the worry of having a round that could cause problems in my pistol, or even pushing the envelope. I just don't see the need.

I just checked a little ballistics program I found over on the GTA site.

230 gr at 1200 fps muzzle, sighted in for 75 yards, dead on in the bull at that range.
    At 100 yards it will be 3.1 inches low, have over 550 foot pounds of energy and still be going well over 1000 fps.

I used the BC from a speer .452 230 gr cast. So perhaps not perfect, but should be in the ball park.

Even if the 1200 fps muzzle is a skosh high. Figure 1050 or 1100. It simply does not lose that much speed at 100 yards.

What it gains over the pistol is all it loses going out 100 yards. So does it really make that much difference? Shoot it up close with a 1911 or at 100 yards with a carbine. Its going to mess up what it hits either way.

Good enough in my opinion.

Boolit Master
    I have found loads for Blue Dot, CFE Pistol, Longshot for 45acp. Not had time to go to the range with these yet.
    These 3 powders are mighty slower than your typical Bullseye, Red dot or Unique loads.

Boolit Grand Master

"My point is that trying to get "more" may be more trouble than it's really worth, especially if you've got a multi-.45 household where the hot load worked up for Gun A could inadvertently end up in Gun B."

"Good grief Charlie Brown......."

We've had that admonition since the advent of the 32-20 HV loads, the 38-44 loads the 38 Super etc. etc. etc.........

We load 44 SPLs to higher "Keith" level loads for the guns that can handle it. We load the 45 Colt to 3 levels based on the strengths of different guns as we do the 45-70........those are just a few off the top of my head.........there are even different load levels for MLs of varying strength........

Yes, one must exercise due caution but thinking the OP want to make a cannon out of his 45 ACP is not what he asked. The OP is just asking if other loads can improve the performance. Given his 45 ACP carbine is a blow back there isn't much the OP can do except stick to regular or +P loads, that is sound advice as also given in post #28.

However, in a rifle such as my M98 the only limiting factor to using proper slower powders or heavier bullet is OAL and case capacity. Marking the rounds for use in the M98 and Contender vs the M1911s is easily done one the case head with a magic marker (red line across case head and primer), marking the load data on the box and the use of bullets (SWC Kieth type) not used in the M1911s.

We load higher performing loads in firearms with the strength for them vs the levels for older or weaker actions all the time. How's come we don't see this admonition in the current 44 SPL in Ruger Vaquero thread? Why is it acceptable there? Moderation is fine, especially given the blow back action, but the original OP post did not mention the action type which led to discussions involving what could safely be done in other action types.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12