Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything

Thread: Smith 63-5 Tool Marks

Boolit Master

Smith 63-5 Tool Marks

I was just wondering if anyone who owns one of these guns could check for some toolmarks on the breech face of the revolver. I am in love with this little gun in every way but the tool marks.

I can't believe smith would create such a masterpiece of a gun and make a deliberate decision to leave unnecessary cutting tool chatter. The marks are horizontal across the entire breech on my gun. As you can see in the second picture, the gun is otherwise flawless (and cute as a bugs ear).

Thanks in advance
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171205_204836.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	208957Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171205_204836.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	208957Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171205_180209.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	208958

Also, if anyone could post some accuracy comments, I would appreciate them. It turned bitter cold with 50 mph gusts of wind in Northern MI today, so I could not get any serious target shooting done.

Boolit Master

I bought a new 63 with a 3" barrel a few years ago although not bad it was the worst finished with some light machine marks /poorley polished S&W revolver I have ever owend ! 20+ over 45 years.

I've had 4 , 63s in last year. 3 of them were the older models that were polished very nicely. I had
    one newer one like the OPs that had tool marks on "breach" area. It was NIB and I didn't shoot
    it but I don't think it would have any affect on anything but looks. Dropping machining steps and
    polishing are bottom line savers. I do a lot of S&W dealing but don't buy newer guns and no SS
    models. I end up with them on trades.

Boolit Master
    I just sent mine back to Smith and Wesson. I was a little upset with the tool marks, but then I started looking at the barrel and I couldn't believe what I saw.

I looked at the front sight ramp, and noticed it was machined about 1/8 of an inch deeper on one side than the other. One ledge was sticking above the barrel radius and the other edge was almost even with the radius. I can't believe I missed it at the gun shop. I was caught up in the new gun smell. I ran Mazak CNC lathes for a long time. Some of our tolerances were plus or minus 2 ten thousandths. I could not imagine anyone tooling an 8th inch off. The only thing I can think of is that someone had to replace a tool on the turret head, and somebody did not make the proper tool offset to accommodate the new cutting edge.

I will post some pics when I get it back from Smith. I truly hope they fix the barrel and the horrible machining. If they don't, I will never buy a new firearm from Smith and Wesson again.