Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: WTB - 8x57 Yugo berdan cases. . . Of course, boxer would be good.

Boolit Master

WTB - 8x57 Yugo berdan cases. . . Of course, boxer would be good.

I just figured the berdan brass would be cheaper. The Yugo 8mm brass converts to boxer very nicely, but the Turkish and others have primer pockets that are generally too deep. Anyone have 200 or so they care to part with? Specifically the nny with a year headstamp.

Yeahbub
    Last edited by yeahbub; 12-05-2017 at 09:27 PM.

You can make 8mm brass out of 30-06 cases
    One pass thru the 8mm size die and trim
    Cases are cheep and easy to find
    Great minds discuss ideas
    Average minds discuss events
    Small minds discuss people

Sleeping Giant Brass has 8mm mauser boxer brass for $35/100

Boolit Master
    I thought of forming them from .30-06, but I'd want the headstamps to not be contrradictory. The yugo berdan are nice cases and go for the price of scrap brass, generally, hence the idea. I didn't know about Sleeping Giant - I may look there.

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    Your time must not be worth much if you can waste it converting berdan to boxer.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/72658

brand new boxer 60 cents a case.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by yeahbub View Post
    I thought of forming them from .30-06, but I'd want the headstamps to not be contrradictory. The yugo berdan are nice cases and go for the price of scrap brass, generally, hence the idea. I didn't know about Sleeping Giant - I may look there.
    I'm with you on the headstamps. Early 80's I was buying Canadian 06 blanks dirt cheap. The brass was trimmed and formed to 7.65, 7X57, 7.7 and 8X57. Long story short, it's now all mixed up residing in cardboard box. I've been procrastinating now for about 15 or so years to sort it all out.

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    Shoot the 7.7 with some hot loads and you'll not have to worry about sorting out the rest (or anything else for that matter)

"Case heads derived from the .30-06 will be slightly undersized and will bulge slightly just ahead of the web on firing."

Bulged cases ? Great idea especially when correct 7.7 cases are available.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lucifers View Post
    Shoot the 7.7 with some hot loads and you'll not have to worry about sorting out the rest (or anything else for that matter)

"Case heads derived from the .30-06 will be slightly undersized and will bulge slightly just ahead of the web on firing. Bulged cases ? Great idea especially when correct 7.7 cases are available.
    Started reforming 06 blanks and US GI 06 into 7.7 since the mid 70's. Never had a problem with a bulged case. I tend to load on the mild side exception being the initial fire forming I'll load hot. To the best of my knowledge I can't recall reforming with commercial brass. Possibly commercial brass not as forgiving as govt brass.

Going through a learning curve long before the net and not having a mentor. I did have problems with split necks on reformed brass until I learned about annealing from a 70's gun rag article. I reformed the brass out of desperation. In the 70's the only one could aquire 7.7 brass was buying Norma brand ammo. At the time a box of commercial 06, 30/30 or most rifle ammo cost in the neighborhood of $3.50 to 4.50. Norma 7.7 and 7.65 ammo cost double or more.
    Last edited by azrednek; 12-08-2017 at 08:59 PM.

Boolit Master
    I had that bulged case thing happen when making 6.5 Swede from -06. I used cases fired in a very generously sized M-1917 .30-06 chamber. The Swede die was virtually the same size, so the '17 was a fat one indeed. In any case, as Swedes, they'll never be sized down to .30-06 dimensions again. There is a .0084 difference between them, but I've never seen one fail, even if all the stretch was on one side. They're a little ugly that way, but they work. As you note, though, the correct cases with correct headstamp can easily be had.

The most egregious instance of undersize case in an oversize chamber in which the cases would be resized to original dimensions was something I read about 7.62x54R Mosins being rechambered to .30-06 by unscrupulous operators many years ago. The diameter difference is .0172, and ruptures were reported. It's a nasty experience. I once had a case failure with a French surplus .30-06 with an age-hardened bronze case in that M-1917, an M-type split down the side of the case and into the primer pocket. Thank God for eye protection. I had little bronze fragments in my face for some time afterwards.

Boolit Master

I did have one of the converted Westinghouse Mosins in the early 70's. I do recall two cases splitting near the base. At the time I assumed it was the ammo, Interarms brand surplus tracers. Not sure of the country of origin. I also shot a good deal of US GI 06 and can't recall a problem. Surprisingly I recall the Westinghouse rifle shot pretty accurately.

I form military headstamp 30-06 brass which is not stamped 30-06. It doesn't say 8mm but at least it isn't mis-labeled as 06 either. Factory id and date headstamp leaves it up to the shooter to keep rounds in properly labeled container.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat