Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trimming 25 acp

Boolit Master

may try counter sink in drill press
    Just a left field thought--but-- is there a way possible to center a small Forsner <spelling
    bit or an end mill in a drill press ?
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Block of wood and sand paper

Boolit Master
    Less than $20-25.00 or close to it with shipping, & this would be a "moot point"..
    Do as ya like.... "Mountain, or Molehill?"

I wish ya the Best of Luck! & Hope ya find the solution without too much trouble... "I" am gonna "move on"...

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I did come up with a fix took 5/8 thick piece of scrap steel drilled hole through center and sanded .012 off it and used a fine jewelers file on them put a back yard hardening on steel block heated it up and dropped in oil . after heat treating took last .001 or so off with stone. It worked pretty good. Was still a slight difference in the cases but not much. Since it is only this caliber I will probably just use this as it will be a while if ever that they need trimming again. Thank every one that replied I do appreciate it. It is good to have a place like this to bounce ideas off of people and get ideas on many things.

Boolit Master
    Way Late Noticing this Thread BUT what did the PPU Brass Measure For its Length?
    The ones I have all are about .612", what CIP REQUIRES of European Manufacturers.

Also "Jagemann Stamping", in the USA, makes .25ACP brass now but is more 'centered in the SAAMI recommended Length (SAAMI = .595" to .615") as a 100 piece sample I measured had 63/100 in the .603"-604" length range with none outside .601"-.607" range.

If your PPU brass is UNFIRED and NOT Resized, I would be interested in Buying some from you as I have not found a Current Local source for the PPU empty Brass.
    I prefer the .612" case length as I have some Test History with this length case.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

It all measured .617 to .618. Before and after sizing it didn't really change any. If you need some of this brass gaf and son has prvi brass 4.49 per fifty brand new stuff. Also if you are looking for a mold I recommend mp molds ordered a .251 HP mold and it arrived this morning got a 3 cavity HP mold and a 4 cavity rnfp mold didn't expect to get 2 molds just thought they would send different pins not 2 separate molds .both for $101.00 shipped. You can't beat it. Haven't cast with them yet but the workmanship looks to be first rate.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    It all measured .617 to .618. Before and after sizing it didn't really change any. If you need some of this brass gaf and son has prvi brass 4.49 per fifty brand new stuff. Also if you are looking for a mold I recommend mp molds ordered a .251 HP mold and it arrived this morning got a 3 cavity HP mold and a 4 cavity rnfp mold didn't expect to get 2 molds just thought they would send different pins not 2 separate molds .both for $101.00 shipped. You can't beat it. Haven't cast with them yet but the workmanship looks to be first rate.
    Thank you for the "Graf & Sons" Suggested source for PPU .25ACP empty Brass, i placed an order with them for some of the Brass. When the PPU Empty Brass arrives, I will do a sample Inspection and report my results. Given the Normal shipping/mail delays perhaps the order will arrive before Christmas this year.

Your Suggested "MP Molds" has been added as a bookmarked site on my Home computer for further review as my Initial perusal of their site did not reveal the .25ACP molds you referred to.

Best Regards,
    Last edited by Chev. William; 12-14-2017 at 02:55 PM.

I just placed another order yesterday for more brass. The mold is listed as mp 252-44pb it says out of stock so I might have got the last one but am sure they will be back in stock soon. It even came with correct top punch and Allen wrenches. Going to try it out in the morning. Will let you know how it works but have seen several post about there molds all spoke highly of them.

Boolit Master
    I did come up with a fix took 5/8 thick piece of scrap steel drilled hole through center and sanded .012 off it and used a fine jewelers file on them put a back yard hardening on steel block heated it up and dropped in oil . after heat treating took last .001 or so off with stone. It worked pretty good. Was still a slight difference in the cases but not much. Since it is only this caliber I will probably just use this as it will be a while if ever that they need trimming again. Thank every one that replied I do appreciate it. It is good to have a place like this to bounce ideas off of people and get ideas on many things.
    Very good "Back Yard Engineering "solution Red Bear. You have aTool tha twil Last you a Long time at low cost to you.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master

according to 25acp case head dimensions, A rcbs trim pro 2 with the uni-jaw will hold it. I have one.. but have never trimmed pistol brass much. A rcbs 9380 pilot is 25 cal.. so they do make one.

Boolit Master
    I just placed another order yesterday for more brass. The mold is listed as mp 252-44pb it says out of stock so I might have got the last one but am sure they will be back in stock soon. It even came with correct top punch and Allen wrenches. Going to try it out in the morning. Will let you know how it works but have seen several post about there molds all spoke highly of them.
    Finally found the Mold(s)!
    They were listed under ".243 - 6mm" molds and Are marked mp252-46 etc.
    Solid says 3 ea 4 cavity available and Hollow point says Out of Stock

Maybe Next month I may have funds to order one.

I may try ordering a custom mold using Ranch Dog TL255-65-RF Design as a basis for a 65 grain bullet sizeable down to .251"-.252" diameter.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Ordered hollow point and got both. Was a little surprised but went back and looked and it said you get hollow point and solid never used hollow point before so thought maybe different pins. Was not expecting 2 molds. Tried both and they cast great couldn't be happier.

Boolit Master
    I received My order of PPU .25ACP brass from Graf & Sons today.
    I measureed one bag of fifty cases and found the following:
    From .595" to .616" Zero Examples.
    16 each at .617" case length.
    18 each at .618" case length.
    09 each at .619" case length.
    07 each at .620" case length.

The sample size is 10 percent of the total order quantity.

It seems that PPU is now shipping Empty .25ACP brass longer for reloaders to trim to their desired case lengths. this adds a Step for the private hand loader but also insulates PPU from any possible claims of shipping 'undersize' Brass in this caliber.

Hand loaders must trim the Brass before use which make sany failures due to 'out of specification' Cartridge failures legally on the Hand loader; NOT PPU under EU and CIP Rules, in my Opinion.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

PS: Additional measurements find that the Lot Sample is all .274" diameter, mouth to Base; and the rim measures .298" diameter. Chev. Willim
    Last edited by Chev. William; 12-15-2017 at 11:51 PM.

As long as you don't have hornady trimmer you should be good to go. Hornady makes a new shell holder that will not fit there trimmer. Researched trimmers and thought I had the only one I needed. Wrong!!!

Boolit Master
    This new Batch of PPU .25ACP brass is FRUSTRATING!!!
    As it measures .274" diameter base to mouth; even 'expanding the Neck' will not help the 'under desired size' base area and lower case body.

If loaded they will have the inverse of a 'bottle neck' appearance, with the Base and lower body smaller than the Neck where the bullet is seated. Will result in smaller than desired propellant area volume and much Expansion upon firing in even a straight cylinder chamber of mine at .2795" diameter.

More thinking required!

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
    Red Bear, this is the best definition of a glutton for punishment post I have ever seen. I can't help with your question, but offer my hearty congratulations and condolences on your quest!
    Tony
    If we had a like button....I would be hitting it!

Trimming 25 acp ? As Troy Landry would say.....Just Choote Em!
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Plan on carrying as a back up don't want to leave anything to chance. After trip to the range to make sure everything works out and prove reliable. If not back to drawing board. Anyway as I said before as a retired machinist and being a little anal just could not stand to let it go .

Boolit Master
    After thinking overnight on the Frustrating problem with the PPU over Length and under sized .25ACP brass, I think i can Expand the Necks and trim them to length. They should be good enough for "plinking rounds"; just not for my Testing needs.

I will try using my Lyman Universal Case Trimmer with a Power Stem (driven with a portable drill motor).
    It will be interesting to find out if it can be adjusted down to trim .25ACP cases Reliably.

Best Regards,
    Chev. william

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12