MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trimming 25 acp

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va

Trimming 25 acp

Purchased prvi brass is .002 over max length. Have hornady case trimmer but cases will not tighten up. Called hornady and was told there equipment will not work for 25acp. Anybody out there trim this cartridge and what trimmer you use .thanks

Red Bear, this is the best definition of a glutton for punishment post I have ever seen. I can't help with your question, but offer my hearty congratulations and condolences on your quest!
    Tony

Some people don't like the small cases I do. Was a machinist in a job shop for over 30 years and always preferred the small parts nobody else wanted to do. Always told boss if I can't pick it up in one hand I count want to make it didn't always work out that way but usually did. Arthritis starting to get to my fingers and eyes started going twenty years ago . but Mr Magoo glasses and blue emu and hot gloves can still do pretty good. I got into the 25 just because I hadn't ever loaded it before and just wanted something small as a back up.

Boolit Master
    Dunno if this would help, but...

https://leeprecision.com/cutter-lock-stud.html

and..:

https://fsreloading.com/index.php?_r...er-25-acp.html

Pretty cheap fix I would think, if ya want to try it/them...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Why on Earth would you want to trim them? Pistol brass rarely needs trimming, if ever. And those little things? I'd just size 'em, prime 'em and fill 'em. They'll work just fine as-is.

I always trim brass that is over the max length. Its just a personal preference. These are .002 over max length and .007 over trim length. Its a personal fault I could not stand to think the brass was not right. Plus being retired really dount have anything better to do. And truly enjoy reloading and casting.
    Last edited by RED BEAR; 12-05-2017 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Auto spell check

To jb thanks for the reply I will check this out.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    To jb thanks for the reply I will check this out.
    You are welcome! I hope ya find what ya seek!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

Ive never trimmed 25 acp cases. One of the Lee universal shell holders might work. Other wise a collet for one of the lathe typ rimmers could be modified with epoxy in the jaws to get a better grip if needed. Shim jaws open in the cuts. A case and alighnment pin ( to keep case centered) with a couple coats of wax applied coat case head with JB weld and insert in collet and a pilot in the mouth use a heavy rubber band to tension it in place. Let cure. tap case and pin out of collet remove shims and cut thru the epoxy in the cuts with a hacksaw 2 blades together give a cut about the same as the collet. This will give a form fitted collet that should grip very tight. A piece of aluminum or carbon turned to rim dia of the 25 acp with the alighnment stem and you could use solder to build up the jaws also.

I will look into the Lee. But hornady is proprietary and no other shell holder will fit there trimmer. Being retired I no longer have access to machine shop. If I can't do anything else I do have hardened blocks that I could work up to the length and use a file. I may buy a nother trimmer in the fixture when funds allow.but will check and see if it will do the 25 . when I bought the hornady trimmer was told it would work on this case. Even just purchased the shell holder a couple weeks ago and was advertised as being for the trimmer. So do not want to spend the money on another trimmer only to find out it will not work also.
    Last edited by RED BEAR; 12-05-2017 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Auto spell check real pain

Boolit Master
    Purchased prvi brass is .002 over max length.
    Is this after sizing?

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe drill a hole thru a steel block the right length / thickness and polish to a snug fit on the case. sit on a flat block then use a file to trim down. A .270 drill will leave about .003 to polish out for the fit.A very fine swiss fille will remove the .002 in 2-3 passes with a nice burr free finish.

Boolit Mold
    Rcbs makes trim dies that work well especially if your more detail minded and arent worried about speed
    For the shorter cases you need to use the extended shell holders. Midway usa. Midsouth as well as many others should have them

As far as a little back up or defense id go up to 32 or down to 22 mag and even then its going to be up close and personal. Good luck in your discerning quest.

Yes this is after sizing. A 22 mag really doesn't do much better in a short barrel . I do keep looking at the ppk copies in 32 auto but I just do not like a keltec .and as I said this will be a back up regular carry is a fire star 9mm. I truly trust this gun as never had it jam with any type of ammo and I do mean never so I rather carry that or A 44 spec snub nose smith and Wesson when clothes allow. So I really just want something to tuck into pocket just in case

To country gent that maybe what I will end up doing. And I really do thank everybody for there reply. Good luck and happy loading

Boolit Grand Master

The swiss pattern fine file works better than most other files as it doesn't tend to grab on the thin cross section of the case mouths. Another trick is to fill the file with chaulk so it dosnt load or pin. Chalk keeps the chips from sticking and removes oil from the surface of the file aiding in chip release. I would also recommend a narex glove for the hand holding the block as these filings are very fine and sharp.

On a side note a Lee push thru sizer drilled out and polished to the desired light snug fit. and adjusted for case length with the pusher could be used in the press as a file and trim die. Set case in place and raise ram file push out with the next case. This might end up being pretty quick for you and less hand work.

Thanks country gent I believe I may have a set of these files will give it a try

Banned

I'm sure I could find a way in my rcbs power trimmer to do it but I haven't trimmed a piece of handgun brass in 30 years. When I first started loading I had to trim them all and clean primer pockets after every shooting. Found neither did a thing for accuracy. Just a waste of time.

Boolit Buddy
    Not perfect but couldn't you do this using the chamfer bits on a case prep station? BTW I reload .25ACP and it's really not that bad to handle. Sometimes!

Dancing bear unfortunately I count have a case prep center. Have hornady trimmer thought that would work for everything but was wrong. I champer and clean primer pockets by hand. Maybe one day. Lloyd Smale I know it probably doesn't make any difference it is a flaw of mine from working with close tolerances for many years just could not stand it would always think they weren't right. And I know that at some point down the road I would take them apart and fix them. It may not make any since but I am sure it would happen. So far it is not so bad working with the 25 dancing bear may try counter sink in drill press on a few and see how it goes. Thanks for the replys and god luck and happy loading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast