RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage Model 25 Sleeved Barrel

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    The Savage 25 is a cheap gun. Doubt you could ever wear out the barrel unless you shot P-dogs for a living. Even then your ammo expenses would be 20X the cost of a new rifle.

IF it is pressed and pinned in you could STILL replace it by drilling out the 3/4 of the old bbl, threading whats left and fitting a new bbl. This is the way K31s are done and it works just great.

Yes the Savage 1919, 1921, M19 and M23 all have one piece receiver bbl units. Again can be rebbled (see above), rebored or relined.

As with the 25, the prize may not be worth the quest unless it is a special rifle or you are attached to it.

FYI, lots of 22RF bbls are pressed/pinned in.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Don't give it a second thought Taz , ask a dedicated high power shooter how long barrels last in the AR .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    The thing I dont understand is the price.The website says the MSRP is $775,yet people say it sells for $299,that is a mighty big difference.Maybe there are actually two different guns,one made extra cheap to sell cheap.

The Savage 25 sells for between $550-$600 new and around $400 used. I don't know where that $299 number came from. Some Savage Axis rifles sell in that range when you can find them on sale or with rebate.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    You could buy a second rifle for that just in case day .........................

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Just for interest,I had a look at the website......the video clearly shows the barrel being threaded into the reciever,with a long unthreaded portion adjacent to the bolt face.There is a barrel nut present,it doesnt have any spanner slots ,and if you look at the video,it doesnt show the nut turning on the thread.......its possible the nut is swaged onto the barrel,making it a unit,so that headspace cant be tinkered with........i would estimate the thread to be around 1"x 18tpi,or 16tpi.,or in metric 25x 1.5 mm...........anyhoo,the video definitely shows the barrel having thred,and being screwed into the reciever by hand up against a gauge to set h/space,then the nut swaged on.,or threaded.The nut being smooth,and tapered,and not meant to be removed,or moved........no sign of any pins.......just my take........looks OK except for the ugly Savage bolt handle lump.....It aint no 98.
    I also checked their website out too. But the video was for a Savage model 11 or something like that, not for the 25.

Boolit Master
    That would have to be on the confusing side of downright misleading.

Boolit Master
    Yes I agree too. But the 25 doesn't have a barrel nut and their video shows the rifle with a barrel nut. I got all excited and interested in watching the videos but I wound up disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    You could buy a second rifle for that just in case day .........................

Jack
    I did. I got a Savage model 12 with a heavy barrel. It shoots just like the 25 does with the same loads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12