Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: 500gr XTP vs Hardcast

Boolit Mold

500gr XTP vs Hardcast

I am looking to use my 500 S&W to take my next moose or bear if conditions are right (I'll also have a rifle). My question is which bullet will be better to have loaded. I understand the general consensus is hardcast over soft points when it comes to bringing down large game, though I wonder if that holds true when the soft point is 500 grains and will probably still have no problem penetrating plenty. Could the XTP have better 'smack'? These are big and can be dangerous animals but they still have relatively thin skin. A possible bear would probably be interior Alaskan grizzly or black, not the 10' kodiak browns. The revolver model would be a John Ross 5" with 1:12 twist. Loads would be moderate, about 1100-1200 fps for the 500 xtp or same for a 500 HC or 1200-1300 fps for a 440 HC.

As a side question, does the faster twist of this revolver model affect terminal performance at all?

Boolit Grand Master

Well. Neither really. I'd use 50/50 ACWW and dead soft lead with a GC and good lube. Penetration, malleability and expansion. All great properties to have in a big bruin buster. I'd opt for the 500gr at 1200 fps out of the 3 loads listed.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I'd opt for the 500gr at 1200 fps out of the 3 loads listed.
    The 500 XTP or 500 HC? I'm not into bullet casting, yet, so I'm only looking at factory bullets

Boolit Grand Master

I love cast for up close stuff, but I'm a little biased. I think both would work for you. If for protection from critters that can gnaw on you, I'd opt for the cast. Hard cast is a misnomer.

Boolit Buddy
    Leave your rifle at home and use only 500S&W. I've been shooting said John Ross 500 over 10 years now and killed both animals you're after. Good cast bullet works just fine and no need to spend money on XTPs. The twist of JR500s is 1-10". If you shoot long range, you'll find the trajectory will yaw to the right so need to adjust your aim not only for the elevation but also for the windage.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, Porterhouse, for the trajectory tip and the twist rate correction. I only remembered that it was a lot faster than the general production models.

I already have a box of 500 gr HC by Cast Performance, as well as the XTP FP's so it's cost neutral by this point.

What bullets did you use on your large game and do you have any thoughts on shot placement? I've been a boiler room shooter with a rifle so far but wondering if I should gravitate more to the shoulder with a handgun type wound.

Boolit Buddy
    I used my own cast ranging from 465gr to 525gr. I did lots of testing with many media and also studied recovered bullets. You don't want casts to be too hard. You don't want to push them too fast either. Lots of wisdom you can find on this site so go search and prepare to spend 3 whole days doing so.
    I haven't used Cast performance's or Hornady's products for actual killing but shot both of them time to time. I believe either will do the job if you do your part so practice! You should run out those bullets by the end of this week. I recommend AA1680 for the powder.
    Shot placement? There are some writings that explain where you should place the shots for large animals so again, search. I never had luxuary to pick exact spot nor posses the skill to deliver so just go with boiler room. They can take lots of shots and still move. Carrying enough ammo is not bad idea, I think.
    Lastly, if you need a hip holster for your JR500, PM me. I have an extra laying somewhere around so you can use for the hunt.
    Good hunting and enjoy the nature!